PDA

View Full Version : I Now own a VX!!!

Techy-D
11/03/2006, 09:20 AM
My old car was dieing fast and I've been looking and looking for the right one, so Yesterday was a long day. I made the drive to Washington and bought me a VX!!! :)

The Details:
1) 1999
2) Silver / Red Interior
3) 43,000 miles
4) Roof Rack

I'm sure I paid to much (12,000 - cuz someone will ask), but I wasn't doing well with my other options and it's fairly low miles, non smoker, very nice in and out.

The Scary Part
It's got new tires on the front that are slightly smaller than the rear!!! I'm going to the tire shop tonight, I'm sure that's why the TOD light is on the 1st bar most of the time (I hope I didn't hurt it driving it home, but nothing I could do last night). It might also be why I can hear some gear whine when slowing down. It was raining (I was watching for an ark full of animals, to go by! ;) ), so I hope that may have lessened the problem???

It also has a small spot infront of the drivers side marker light where the clear coat is starting to peel. Anyone see this before?

Anyway, I've been writing a lot and wanted to let you all know, For Better or Worse, I finally got one! :) :) :cool: :) :)

etlsport
11/03/2006, 09:26 AM
congrats on your purchase! if youre happy with it i dont think 12k is too much to pay, it does have low miles and sounds to be in nice condition

the first light for the front wheels on the TOD should be on all the time when you are going more than about 5 (yes five) mph when in 4wd hi (normal driving) the vx is really more of an awd than 4wd, so no worries, thats normal

as for your tires, you want them all to be the same size.. but if you cant afford to get them all the same size, keep the smaller tires in the front, larger tires in the front will mess with your TOD

biju
11/03/2006, 09:26 AM
welcome.

-biju.

JAFO
11/03/2006, 10:10 AM
Congratulations!

It's been a while since I have seen another VX in the area.

Techy-D
11/03/2006, 01:10 PM
congrats on your purchase! if youre happy with it i dont think 12k is too much to pay, it does have low miles and sounds to be in nice condition

the first light for the front wheels on the TOD should be on all the time when you are going more than about 5 (yes five) mph when in 4wd hi (normal driving) the vx is really more of an awd than 4wd, so no worries, thats normal

as for your tires, you want them all to be the same size.. but if you cant afford to get them all the same size, keep the smaller tires in the front, larger tires in the front will mess with your TOD

That's a relief on the TOD, maybe I don't need new tires.
How about the gear/transmission noise (kind of like and old powerwagon we have, but not near as much - if that makes any sense) Do you guys hear some noise, mostly when slowing down?

geshaw30
11/03/2006, 01:34 PM
Nothing quite like reading the whimsical joy of a newbie.

Greetings and welcome aboard
________
Itunes Gift Cards (http://bestfreegiftcard.com/itunes-gift-cards/)

Knigh7s
11/03/2006, 02:14 PM
The noise when slowing down is more than likely the tire size difference in the front. Found that out when i got lazy and only reinflated the rear tires and leaving the front low. On the drive home i started to get a pretty bad "whine" and slight thumping in the front. Went away as soon as i reinflated the front tires to prefered PSI, considering they where 20psi flatter than it should have been.

etlsport
11/03/2006, 03:13 PM
yep, when i bought my VX it would whine when coasting, then i got a flat, and replaced the front two tires (the rears were replaced when i bought it) and after that i didnt have the whine anymore (that or i just stopped noticing it)

nfpgasmask
11/03/2006, 03:54 PM
Hey! Welcome! The first VX I looked at was a silver 99 with the red/black interior! Very sweet looking combo! Congrats!

Anyway, as a word of caution, I would check your trans fluid condition and level. Chances are its never been changed (mine wasnt when I bought it) and if you have really burnt looking chocolate trans fluid you should change it. I had some gear slamming issues when I bought my VX that disappeared after a trans fluid and filter change. This is *quite* a task to do by yourself if you don't have the space/time/tools, but if you are so inclined we can all help with it. And by the way, don't go looking for a trans dip stick, cause there isn't one ;)

Bart

Techy-D
11/03/2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for all these insights, Keep'em coming if ya got'em!

I'll be going over all my fluids and things this weekend. I'll see what needs to be serviced. I found the owners manual and 3 other smaller books in the glove box! I've got some reading to do tonight!!! :)

I always feel better when I do things myself, so I'm sure I'll have a question or two.

JAFO
11/03/2006, 04:16 PM
If you are looking for a dealership, www.braleyandgraham.com ,in Beaverton, is a great dealership. That's where I take mine. The service manager, Simon, is great.

nfpgasmask
11/03/2006, 04:37 PM
I always feel better when I do things myself, so I'm sure I'll have a question or two.

Me too! I didn't know jack squat about cars but since I have had my VX my knowledge has grown 100%. I now change my own oil (easy) and I did my own trans service too (NOT easy). But anyway, its always satisfying to know you can it yourself. My other words of wisdom, which you probably already know from being on this forum, is CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL AT EVERY FILL UP! VXs like to drink oil. You might consider flushing your oil and switching to Mobile-1 or another quality synthetic.

Enjoy!

Bart

Ldub
11/03/2006, 05:00 PM
Big Congrats on becoming an "official" member of the fam...

I'll whole-heartedly agree with what others have said previously.

The ONLY way to know the work done on your "baby" is done right, is to do it yourself.
It's very satisfying & saves you tons of moolah that you can spend on upgrades. :cool:

thedutchguy
11/04/2006, 12:35 AM
gefeliciteerd !

Techy-D
11/04/2006, 09:38 PM
gefeliciteerd !

Thanks... I think? Ge I Feel Xciterd also ;)

Techy-D
11/04/2006, 09:55 PM
JAFO - Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of asking you (If something serious comes up, It's not the time to start looking for a good shop - so Now I have a good place to start if needed)

GOOD NEWS:
I stopped in to the ForestGrove Les Schwab tire store (EXCELENT Guys by the way and one of them knew what my VX was - They even got me in right away), and it seems the rear tires were absolutly brand new as I suspected, but the front ones were, in his opinion, the original tires (about 1/2 tread left). To play it safe I bought 2 more new tires and it seems to have fixed 99% of noise!!! (I have 2 tires to sell)

Thanks for the tip on the oil Checking. Looks like the oil's been in there a while (maybe it doesn't use much???), so that's on my list soon as well as trany fluid (see if that last 1% of noise will go away?)

Tomorrow we'll see my friends reaction when I pick him up for Church! (He has no idea I got a new car - This should be good!!)

JGeorge264
11/04/2006, 10:36 PM
Congrats on your new "baby". I'm sure you'll love it. I take mine to Tigard SUV off Scholls Ferry for any work I've needed. I found them to be more reasonably priced and they have better warranties on their work than Braley & Graham Isuzu.

Congrats again and have a great time. I'll wave if I see you around!
Jody

WormGod
11/06/2006, 07:56 AM
Congrats!

Now.... the joke is on you! Welcome aboard and join the rest of us cursed souls! Overcoming manufacturer flaw obstacles, spending endless dollars on mods and repairs, sifting though thread after thread looking for valuable information to keep you and your VX going.... and.... and..... ah, you get the point. Enjoy! ;)

Techy-D
11/06/2006, 02:48 PM
Congrats!

Now.... the joke is on you! Welcome aboard and join the rest of us cursed souls! Overcoming manufacturer flaw obstacles, spending endless dollars on mods and repairs, sifting though thread after thread looking for valuable information to keep you and your VX going.... and.... and..... ah, you get the point. Enjoy! ;)

You sure know how to give a guy that warm fuzzy feeling! :) :p ;)

Thanks for the welcoming, it'll be a fun time and I got you folks to share in the Joys / Unjoys. If I can keep a 74 gremlin going for 234,000miles and a 65 Skylark for 205,000miles (Possibly 305,000), then there is a good chance this rig will be around a while!!! ;)