PDA

View Full Version : Receiver hitch motorcycle carrier.

crager34
10/31/2006, 12:35 PM
Has anyone ever tried one of THESE (http://www.ourlocalguide.com/GCCarrier/motorcycle_carriers_at_low_prices_.htm) ?

My bike is around 480 lbs and am wondering what the sag will be like in the rear. I know I won't be able to use the rear door, but looking for a ceaper way to go than a trailer (license, maintenance, that stuff).

Or one like THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-CARRIER-TRAILER-Harley-Road-King_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ008QQite mZ180045331335QQrdZ1) ?

Bimati
10/31/2006, 12:51 PM
Well, I've looked at those, but I have ended up avoiding them simply because, although they are rated for the weight, think about what 480 pounds of "tongue weight" or "hitch weight" would do to a short wheelbase vehicle like the VX.

If you keep the VX stock (you're on a budget), the rear will sag, the front will float and it would be a nightmare to drive.

Also, at 480 pounds, I am assuming that you are talking about something other than a sportbike, in which case, if it's a tourer or cruiser, fairings and/or chrome might make loading difficult/impossible.

Check sportbikes.net for pictures of guys who have had their bikes tumble off while loading/unloading....that's usually a $2,000 bill right there.

I'd kick myself over and over if I spent the money on one and it wasn't perfect....even with the "front tire carrier" style, it's wear and tear on the bike.

Personal choice I guess. I'd stick with a real trailer.

Bim

crager34
10/31/2006, 12:54 PM
My bike is an 07 Suzuki V-Strom and considered a Dual Sport (not sure about off roading with this though).

Joe_Black
10/31/2006, 03:23 PM
I've got an old one made out of steel channel and it works fine, although I've only hauled my old '78 Yamaha DT400 with it. The newer aluminum ones should be fine, just watch clearance on the rear cladding.

nfpgasmask
10/31/2006, 03:49 PM
To bad Yakima doesn't make one for the roof rack! LOL :laugho: