PDA

View Full Version : weather.com

hitnrun74
04/30/2003, 10:41 PM
Maybe I'm just paranoid, or picky, or something. I've had desktop weather installed on all my systems for years, ever since it became available. The weather channel people have always been pretty straight-up folks. I got a message on all my systems to upgrade desktop weather software, so I did. Almost immedately the pop-up adds started. Do not download desktop weather. If you have the old version, don't upgrade! It is full of embedded spyware. Ad-aware couldn't even locate the offending files for removal. Had to completely uninstall. Now the old version isn't available. I dropped them a nasty-gram, but I'm posting this on every message-board and forum that I am a member of. thanks for your time, and if you do use desktop weather, make sure to send them some nasty feedback about their spyware!

Moncha
05/01/2003, 07:13 AM
Weatherbug..... It's a little gem that sits in your system tray and works great... They have a paid version but I've used the free version for a while now and like it alot

johnnyapollo
05/01/2003, 08:14 AM
Same problem with Weatherbug. It places stuff in your registry that spys out your click patterns. It also can cause pop-ups. I ended up taking it off my machines.

-- John

IsuZOOM
05/01/2003, 08:51 AM
Surprisingly, weather.com isn't that accurate. Our local news channel's website (www.9news.com around here) is much more accurate.

For kicks, I have a program called WeatherCast that shows the current temp in the system tray. Works great, no popups.

Moncha
05/01/2003, 09:03 AM
No argument from me. All ad based proggies use some type of tracking and / or pop-ups. That's cost of them providing something for free and us accepting it.
In all of my online investigations, this is one of the most common complaints. It amazes me at the perception that we pay to get online so everything else online should be free. Telling people that they are asking for it everytime they try to get something for nothing just infuriates them. Yes, there is an online privacy problem and I HATE spam. The only way to deal with it is to not fall for the free gimick.. And don't be surprized at what you get if you do..

As for the Weather Bug... I just haven't the complaints on it like do the others.

WyrreJ
05/01/2003, 10:22 AM
Run linux. There are plenty of free weather report tools that don't spy on you nor force pop-up ads on you either. Most linux distributions even come with a couple bundled in. I use gweather, which is usually bundled as part of the Gnome desktop for linux (and other unices like Solaris and HP-UX). Most of these work by getting data from "free" government subsidized sources.

hitnrun74
05/01/2003, 08:31 PM
I understand the "something for nothing" philosophy all too well. All I want is responsibility. If you took your car to a shop for a sunroof, and the tech added a hidden gps locator to track you, you'd be pretty upset. Actually, you could probably press charges. Simply put, if you didn't think it was irresponsible you would include it in the description of the software. Sheesh. Spyware should be listed with the system requirements. If I want the software badly enough to accept the pop-ups, so be it. But I should at least be informed. That's the key reason that I use very little freeware. There's always a catch. Responsible webmasters and programmers wouldn't include extraneous code with their products unless it was listed in the description. Not to mention, has anyone, ever, ordered anything they saw in a pop-up ad? I know I haven't. Must not be a very effective form of advertising anyways...

SPAZZ
05/01/2003, 08:44 PM
I recently installed Yahoo messenger. Ever since, pop ups on everything. I'm removing it now.

paultvx
05/01/2003, 11:22 PM
Don't anyone use NOAA radios anymore? No advertising. No pop ups. Just a monotonous voice reading off weather stats and river levels and off shore conditions.

driver3
05/02/2003, 07:34 AM
I think this site is the best.. just set it as a favorite after typing in your zip. The windcast is great for sailing... and they have a moving radar.