PDA

View Full Version : Towing A Vx

eyepatch
10/27/2006, 01:12 AM
I really need some help on this. I would like to flat tow [all four on the ground] a VX behind a motorhome.
Here is what I have found out, BlueOx.com makes a tow bar and base plate, Remco.com makes a drive shaft disconect for the 2001 VX. Remco says the 2001 VX has a 23 1/4 '' front drive shaft?,They say only the 2001 VX can be towed with there set up.
Can anyone tell me what the length of the front and rear drive shafts are on a 1999 and a 2000 VX, also need to know if anyone is flat towing a VX and if so what is your set-up?? THANKS!!

Tone
10/27/2006, 04:59 AM
All VXs have the same length shafts. If it were me, I'd tow it on a trailer....

eyepatch
10/27/2006, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the reply Tone,
First thing that comes to mind is WHY on a trailer and not the set up I can get done? Although I have been giving the trailer some thought, but right at 4000# on the VX and another 1500-1700# for a trailer that would do the VX justice even to sit on let alone be seen pulling it down the highway in public seems to me that is a lot of added weight to have to pull and on occasion have to back up [which I am not good at], then there is the matter of reduced milage?, more fuel?,4 more tires to ware out, tags and insurance on a trailer but the tow bar and Remco set up cost about the same as a nice car hauler at no further expense, tires, insurance, etc.

Tone
10/27/2006, 07:09 AM
You'll need to disconnect BOTH drive shafts PITA and you'll need a strong impact for the front one (make sure you mark them so they go back exactly the way they were). Or get a dolly for the front and remove the rear drive shaft.

eyepatch
10/27/2006, 07:29 AM
OPPS! Sorry for the double post. Just got off the phone with Remco they now tell me if the VX has to have some way of putting it into a two[2] wheel drive appliaction then there system CAN be used. Can the Vx be put into two[2] wheel drive, or can a pair of manual hubs be put on the front??

Nazrat
10/27/2006, 08:23 AM
Sure, get a set of manual hubs for the front and install their disconnect in the back. Then you can flat tow it.

-Tad