PDA

View Full Version : Talk Me Outta This !!!

Ldub
10/24/2006, 03:39 PM
Would one of my VX brethren (or sisteren) please try & talk me outta ordering Nitto Mud Grapplers for my dubs...?

I've been thinking that 33x12.50 r 20"s would look sooooo BADAZZ on my Centerlines...(see my gallery)
I know, a lot more trimming/ hammer adjustments would be required + another inch or so of lift...but I just can't can't shake the notion of how schawinnggg they would look crawlin' around Moab come spring.

This is probably an exercise in futility, but fire away...any & all opinions welcome.

Thanx all.

PS. Anyone in the market for 4 LIGHTLY used (maybe 6000 mi.) Hankook Ventus 265/50 r 20" (again, see my gallery) make me an offer.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/WLNittoMud_Grappler.jpg

Joe_Black
10/24/2006, 03:51 PM
Nah, ya need to getcha some Yokohama GeoLandar MT+ meats on those Centerlines. Directional, grippy as all heck on asphalt and anything else you'll roll over! ;)

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_geo_mt_plus_ci2_l.jpg http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_geo_mt_plus_ci1_l.jpg http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_geo_mt_plus_ci3_l.jpg

Ldub
10/24/2006, 04:04 PM
OH THAT HELPED !... :rolleyes:

I've looked real hard at the Yoko's Joe & like em' a lot...BUT, I'm really in lust with the more agressive side lugz on the Nittos.

I do appreciate the input though. ;)

biju
10/24/2006, 04:11 PM
Sorry dub...

I've been told I'm an 'enabler' - so I won't be of any help.

What ever you do, do not *not* get these...

damn. there i go again...

-biju.

Ldub
10/24/2006, 04:19 PM
Do you mean not not as in DON'T...

Or not not as in DO ???

I'm dumber than a rock (right now ;) ) & can barely find my arse with both hands...

:p

ScottinMA
10/24/2006, 04:33 PM
I'm with the Nitto choice. When I was exploring tires I ran across those Mud Grapplers and said that this was THE TIRE! But I was thinking I should go for the Terra Grapplers since it was more "practical" and then there were the Toyo Cross Country Open Country that some suggested that were less noisy and would last longer. So I elected to go with the Terra but those Muds look just awesome.

ZEUS
10/24/2006, 04:35 PM
Don't get those tires! I have heard only good things about 'em. Don't get those tires. They look so freakin' cool! Don't get those tires! They will turn your VX into this wild, crazy, wheelin' machine since you have to lift it more. Don't get those tires!
Kinda sounds like the voices in your head huh?! :p

Ldub
10/24/2006, 04:44 PM
Don't get those tires! I have heard only good things about 'em. Don't get those tires. They look so freakin' cool! Don't get those tires! They will turn your VX into this wild, crazy, wheelin' machine since you have to lift it more. Don't get those tires!
Kinda sounds like the voices in your head huh?! :p

LMAOPIMP(almost)...those are the EXACT voices in my head...& I'm tryin' really hard to ignore them...unlike the voices that tell me to mount forward 50's on my fenders to "R I P" through traffic...tough decision...there's only so much fundage ya know. :)

ScottinMA
10/24/2006, 04:46 PM
LMAOPIMP(almost)...those are the EXACT voices in my head...& I'm tryin' really hard to ignore them...unlike the voices that tell me to mount forward 50's on my fenders to "R I P" through traffic...tough decision...there's only so much fundage ya know. :)

What are they going to cost you?

Ldub
10/24/2006, 04:54 PM
What are they going to cost you?

$$$$$$$$$$288.00 American ea. delivered....you do the math, when I see the total, I gasp, clutch my chest, pass out & wake up drooling. :(

LittleBeast
10/24/2006, 05:02 PM
Ldub, definitely do it! Those look awesome, and make sure and let everyone know exactly what it requires because I am sure more people will follow in your footsteps... Oh wait sorry I forgot, we are pretending to not like the idea right? Ok yeah I have heard nothing but awesome things about Nitto's and that they last forever even in exteme conditions so they probably will be a "bad" investment... And you might feel bad for being too intimidating on the road causing granny's to buy surplus Depends and teenagers in low riders to stop drooling and get outta your way! But yeah sounds terrible like a nightmare... Or the best halloween present for yourself ever..... I mean no terrible idea... sorry, I have been thinking the same thing about the Nitto's for me, but I keep on wanting to go with 22's and 33" tires or 24's with 33" tires, but then off roading wouldn't be as sweet, so 20's with these might be perfect.. I mean perfectly terrible...

ScottinMA
10/24/2006, 05:30 PM
$$$$$$$$$$288.00 American ea. delivered....you do the math, when I see the total, I gasp, clutch my chest, pass out & wake up drooling. :(

OHHHHHH MAN! That's el mucho dinero! Maybe too much for a look. I was almost afraid to ask. But by all means...pick up a couple scratch tickets and see whether your lucky!

Ldub
10/24/2006, 05:51 PM
Ldub, definitely do it! Those look awesome, and make sure and let everyone know exactly what it requires because I am sure more people will follow in your footsteps... Oh wait sorry I forgot, we are pretending to not like the idea right? Ok yeah I have heard nothing but awesome things about Nitto's and that they last forever even in exteme conditions so they probably will be a "bad" investment... And you might feel bad for being too intimidating on the road causing granny's to buy surplus Depends and teenagers in low riders to stop drooling and get outta your way! But yeah sounds terrible like a nightmare... Or the best halloween present for yourself ever..... I mean no terrible idea... sorry, I have been thinking the same thing about the Nitto's for me, but I keep on wanting to go with 22's and 33" tires or 24's with 33" tires, but then off roading wouldn't be as sweet, so 20's with these might be perfect.. I mean perfectly terrible...

You're NOT doing a very good job of talking me outta this...& I appreciate that. ;)

And I must say, I'm no trail-blazer here...I'm following in the rather large footsteps of JoFotoz (ck his gal.) & woohoo (he wheeled w/ us @ Moab w/ dubs...way more nicer than c-lines) & there are probably others that I can't remember @ this time(sorry). But yeah...the thought of "grannys" having to double up on the depends kind of appeals to me. :cool:
As for the "lowriderz"...I wouldn't know, ya just don't see many where the winter conditions include -30 +or- & lots-o snow...works for me !
As for 22's or 24's...you're right...they'd look cule as all get out, but...the first tight rock obstacle you encounter.....bye-bye bead flange...I'm even thinking 20's might be a little "sparse" in the sidewall protection dept.
But for cryin' out loud...what price can you actually put on freacn' KOOL ??? :p

Sincere thx 2 all 4 the input.

pbkid
10/24/2006, 06:08 PM
lol my opinion? get some 15 or 16inch rims to put your terra's on...then some snow/all weather tires for your 20' rims...thats my plan and it sounds practical and fun =)...
those tires are badazz looking by the way, i love em...either those or the MTR's...
GO FOR IT!!!!! :yeso:

Bimati
10/24/2006, 07:31 PM
Dub,

Having a VX and not indulging your passions is like sending me to the buffet without a helmet. It just ain't right. I say get two sets and use four of them in your living room as end tables.

Wait.....I meant don't do it.

Bim

WormGod
10/24/2006, 07:53 PM
Get 'em. They are nice. Join the gang.... I have spent about $2k this week on my VX already.

*side note*

I get a kick out of someone from Fargo talking (typing) the way you do Dub , hahaha. Reading your post, I cant help but picture William H Macy and read aloud with the accent from ther movie, haha. No offense, seriously. I need all the humour I can get lately. :)

nocturnalVX
10/25/2006, 12:13 AM
Save your $$$, and maybe rent a DVD or something to take your mind off these tires & the whole VX mod addiction curse.

nocturnalVX
10/25/2006, 12:16 AM
:rollb: That guy doesn't know what he's talking about! Lift your VX, throw those new knobbies on, and enjoy!!! :thumbup:

:goof:

Ldub
10/25/2006, 03:13 AM
Get 'em. They are nice. Join the gang.... I have spent about $2k this week on my VX already.

*side note*

I get a kick out of someone from Fargo talking (typing) the way you do Dub , hahaha. Reading your post, I cant help but picture William H Macy and read aloud with the accent from ther movie, haha. No offense, seriously. I need all the humour I can get lately. :)

No offense taken WG...having the "movie" put Fargo on the map was indeed a double edged ummmm... "favor".

The folks I've met from this group probably know I'm not above whipping out a "ya sure, you betcha" or a "don't cha know" for effect...especially during happy hour. ;)

pbkid
10/25/2006, 06:44 AM
oh yea, thats nothing exceptional for ldub...i dunno larry im sure that you could use some new furniture (VX seats) in the house....those nitto's would look really nice coming out of the back of the supercharged VX in moab...
cmon man you already have the supercharger to run those tires so its not like your going to lose gas mileage...
and another thing, im gonna be really dissapointed if i get a lift and tires before you get more aggresive tires....

WormGod
10/25/2006, 06:45 AM
No offense taken WG...having the "movie" put Fargo on the map was indeed a double edged ummmm... "favor".

The folks I've met from this group probably know I'm not above whipping out a "ya sure, you betcha" or a "don't cha know" for effect...especially during happy hour. ;)

Haha, good, good.... now go get them meats. You are spending more time on these forums and not enough time on other sites blowing hard earned money for the VX. I am actually thinking about new wheels now.... talk about psychotic. I think I need a woman in my life to pull the reigns on my spending habits.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

goffaramma
10/25/2006, 06:47 AM
I'm very sorry about what I'm about to say, but, um, PLEASE GO FOR IT!!! I can live vicariously through you until I someday have the $$$ to do it myself. I'm counting on you man!!! Go for it!!!

nfpgasmask
10/25/2006, 07:25 AM
IMHO I think those tires are hideously ugly. They do not mesh well with the smooth futuristic design of the VX. On a beat up '79 Ford Bronco, they would work, but on the VX, hells no. The sidewall design is tacky, and I would rather go for something more classic looking like the BFG Mud Terrains or the GoodYear Wangler M/Ts. The ProComp Mud Terrains are ok too.

But, on a good note, at least these ones don't have flames on the sidewall like the Dune Grapplers ;puke2;

I can just hear the twangy Gi-tar and the sound of a Coors Light being cracked open when I look at those...

:) Bart

nfpgasmask
10/25/2006, 07:32 AM

Yeah, funk dat, get a new DJ...

LOL - Bart

biju
10/25/2006, 07:34 AM
I can just hear the twangy Gi-tar and the sound of a Coors Light being cracked open when I look at those...

:rolleyes: Then consider me a coors drinker... I'm gonna give em a whirl and should have them for Zu in 07.

BTW - dub, you got them grapplers yet? GESH!!!

-biju.

Triathlete
10/25/2006, 07:55 AM
For off roading the only thing that looks good on dubs are double dubs...so you'll have to save a little more and lift just a bit more! :bwgy:

nfpgasmask
10/25/2006, 08:21 AM
:rolleyes: Then consider me a coors drinker... I'm gonna give em a whirl and should have them for Zu in 07.

BTW - dub, you got them grapplers yet? GESH!!!

-biju.

LOL, I've only been in Reno for a few weeks now, give me some time, you never know, all these pick-up trucks out here might rub off on me ;) Next time you see me I might have shiz-kickers on and a 10 gallon hat!!! Its gonna take some time for me to un-wind. Chicago is a RAT RACE!

LOL, Bart

JoFotoz
10/25/2006, 10:38 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VX31.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX31.jpg)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VX71.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX71.jpg)

jo

Kenny
10/25/2006, 11:50 AM
Ya, You Can Do EEET!!

But I'm *NOT* helping you pick out zombie parts from between those treads. :smilewink

Ldub
10/25/2006, 01:18 PM
Ya, You Can Do EEET!!

But I'm *NOT* helping you pick out zombie parts from between those treads. :smilewink

:( Not even if I let ya run the machine gun(s)??? ;)

pbkid
10/25/2006, 01:31 PM
jo...ive been trying to figure out for a while who's vx that is...is it yours?
and if so...where in the *#^& did you get those rims with the red center caps because i think it looks freakin awesome...very jealous...i would like rims with red bead locs more but i cant afford those, so im thinking thats my alternate...
thanks in advance..

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/25/2006, 02:41 PM
I'd say get'em....but I'd figure on a spare too mounted on perhaps a cheaper "steel" rim unless you wanna pony-up for duplicate wheel. I'm thinking that if you only buy "4" and encounter bad luck along the way buying a replacement tire down the road might entail some "back-order" time. I'm not sure how readily available those tires are. I seem to remember someone having availablility issues with the Nitto Grapplers maybe???

The only other option is to check into a rehab clinic for "mod withdrawl".

JoFotoz
10/25/2006, 02:55 PM
They are "fake" beadlock steelies...yea , I wanted 'real' red ones too..but they cost too many drinking vouchers!

I simply sprayed the centre caps "VX" logo red so it matches the engine detailing ....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VX41.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX41.jpg)

jo

Ldub
10/25/2006, 03:22 PM
I'd say get'em....but I'd figure on a spare too mounted on perhaps a cheaper "steel" rim unless you wanna pony-up for duplicate wheel. I'm thinking that if you only buy "4" and encounter bad luck along the way buying a replacement tire down the road might entail some "back-order" time. I'm not sure how readily available those tires are. I seem to remember someone having availablility issues with the Nitto Grapplers maybe???

The only other option is to check into a rehab clinic for "mod withdrawl".

Got the spare issue covered...sort of, I've got a 16" rim from a Passport which has a 285/75x16" Nokian on it. Measures 32.93 or real close to it.
The 33" Mud Grapplers are just a shade under 33" also.
I'm willing to gamble on it being close enough to get me back to "civilization".
I'll also have a set of four Terra Grapplers on the stock rims for a backup set.
285/75x16"...not quite as big around as the Nokian, but close.

As for the rehab...mmmmm, not so much. :rolleyes:

pbkid
10/25/2006, 06:24 PM
jo, can those center caps fit on any rim? and if so where do i order some?
i have 98 tacoma rims right now, so that means that i have no center besides the outside of the axle...

Ldub
10/26/2006, 10:03 AM

*side note*

ALTERNATE ENDING (GOODFELLAS EDIT)...

Whaddya mean, the way I talk/type,ha-ha-ha...what, I talk like a clown ?...
Like I'm here to amuse youse ??? :p :p :p :rolleyes:

I took the plunge last night & hit the "place order" button... :eek:

I'll post pics in a week or two when I get em' mounted & balanced.

pbkid
10/26/2006, 02:17 PM
haha hell yea!!!

ZEUS
10/26/2006, 09:25 PM
Did you order some coil spacers and stuff to fit 'em yet? Whachagonnado?

Ldub
10/26/2006, 09:37 PM
One inch coil spacers from indy...ordered

H/D lower links from indy...ordered

Low-pro droop snubbers from indy...ordered

Ticket to state mental facility for observation & eval :rolleyes: ...priceless

E-ZooZoo One
10/27/2006, 06:50 AM
(Posted 10/26/06)

I'll post pics in a week or two when I get em' mounted & balanced.
A couple of weeks???
How much more would it have cost to hit the 'I want`em delivered like-YESTERDAY!' button?

Man, talk about Antici... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... pation.

Ldub
10/27/2006, 05:48 PM
A couple of weeks???
How much more would it have cost to hit the 'I want`em delivered like-YESTERDAY!' button?

Man, talk about Antici... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... pation.

You can't hardly BELIEVE how steep that curve is...
The difference from free shipping to I GOTTA HAVE THEM THINGS TOMORROW !!! is over one thousand hard earned american dollars...

I'll wait.
Just got the street "fiddys" dismounted this afternoon, now I'm looking at four naked dubs, rolling all manner of ideas involving paint, stainless hex head cap screws, etc. around in the noggin. :rolleyes:
Prolly clean & shine tomorrow & see what the Mr.Gasket "no profile" valve stems look like.

ScottinMA
10/28/2006, 03:22 AM
You sick bastard! I can't wait to see em!!

Ldub
11/03/2006, 05:58 PM
OK, here's the first rudimentary attempt at a foto of the new skinz...I know, it sucks contrast wise & gives a rather poor view of the tread, but I've been wanting to put up a pic for days now & the sun just hasn't been cooperating. :mad:

Keep in mind, this is just a "teaser"...I'll post a better shot after I give her a bath & have another inch of lift installed.

My first impression of the tires is : WOW, these things are really LOUD going down the road, that was expected.

Also, the side-walls are INSANELY stiff.(load range E) It took me (230 lbs.) & another guy (approx. 180 lbs...I didn't weigh him) both standing on the sidewall (on top of the tire machine) to get the bead into the drop, while a third guy ran the machine.

The really amazing thing is, I haven't had them balanced yet & from 0-75+ mph there is litteraly NO vibration...unbelievable for a tire that weighs almost 75 lbs. (shipping weight, I haven't actually weighed them either).

And yes, I did have to do more than a bit of trimming/ 2 lb. hammer modifications to the front fender wells. (due mostly to more neg. offset)

I'm glad y'all weren't able to talk me outta this!!! :) http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC00571.JPG

biju
11/03/2006, 07:01 PM
There you go... you just made me pee. happy now?

This is very sweet indeed. Congratulations on a mod that, hands down, I can not wait to see in person come Moab.

Please, more pictures!!!

-biju.

ZEUS
11/03/2006, 07:53 PM
Lookin' pretty sick! Me likes... With 20's the tires still look like 31's! Next you'll be telling us how bad you don't want 35's! :bwgr:

Ldub
11/03/2006, 08:39 PM
Lookin' pretty sick! Me likes... With 20's the tires still look like 31's! Next you'll be telling us how bad you don't want 35's! :bwgr:

:nonegray: Hmmmmmmm :rolleyesg

Kenny
11/04/2006, 07:17 AM
Mean! :_drool:

Any buzz at highway speed?

Ldub
11/04/2006, 07:23 AM
BIG buzz Bro...big big buzz. :cool:

Bimati
11/04/2006, 09:34 AM
ElvisDub,

That's a neat lookin' autocar you have there. Is that the new H4 hybrid? :p

I'm developing sores on me bumm waiting for more pics........ You are the king.
Looks GREAT!!!!!

Bim

Ldub
11/22/2006, 03:49 PM
Bimmer,

Hope yer "bum" has long since healed...It was a beauty day today (over 50) in the Red River Valley, so I dragged out my hose & blasted off all the "Indiana Gunk" from last weekend's wheelin' with the MWIOR gang... :cool:

So, as promised, here are the fotoz :

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Kleen.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Kleen-2.JPG

nfpgasmask
11/22/2006, 04:21 PM
Dude, what the heck are those flares in your wheel wells? Are those custom made? I've never seen those before?!?!

Bart

JHarris1385
11/22/2006, 04:25 PM
Wow

Anita
11/22/2006, 05:08 PM
A work of art, LDub Very nice. :heart:

Ldub
11/22/2006, 07:31 PM
Bart,

The flares are some "generic" units I found on the JC Whitney site...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000164310/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000164310/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000164310

They screw into the bottom lip of the cladding about every 3-4"
Seemed to hold up well while wheelin' last weekend, though Moab will be the true test.

Anita,

Mahalo plenty...I'm honored that you would use your 1400th post to say so...
As for being art, I dunno...what you do is art, I'm just happy to have a cool little truck that's getting closer & closer to what it should have been right out of the showroom door. ;) MOO (my opinion only)

Young Master Harris,

That's the reaction I was going for, thanks...It's also mom spelled upside down. :rolleyes:

IndianaVX
11/22/2006, 07:59 PM
after thinking , and thinking, wow is all i can say also,..........wow.
i wass going to try to make it up to the meet last week, but doc stil saysl not supposed to do a whole lot. would have loved to see this beauty in person. you are doing a great job. ok, i guess i thought of some other stuff to say..........
david

nocturnalVX
11/23/2006, 01:49 AM
Save your $$$, and maybe rent a DVD or something to take your mind off these tires & the whole VX mod addiction curse.
http://www.mwior.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/ditto.gif

I guess it's too late to talk you out of buying those WAY COOL tires & fitting them to your WAY COOL VX....

My next mod... buy some PRO COMP Xterrains... I have PRO COMP All Terrains and I love them, but I still wish I had gone with the Xterrains... they are so much cooler!

pbkid
11/25/2006, 02:48 PM
wow larry, looks bad@$$...im really jealous...cant wait to see it perform in moab bro =D