PDA

View Full Version : Where have the big SUVs gone??

Chopper
10/20/2006, 05:45 PM
Sitting in the Winn Dixie parking lot the other day, and I noticed a lack of Sequoia/Expedition/Suburban type vehicles, or very many pickups for that matter. Now this wouldn't be noteworthy except that, like 3 of every five vehicles around here, pretty much fall into those two catagories. Today, at 3 in the afternoon, (prime mommy time) I'm at the Albertsons getting the beer for the Friday afternoon " thank you all for this week" suds an' paycheck fest, when I notice the same thing...nary a barge in the place! Have they all been turned into Camrys and Tuna cans that quickly??? Maybe they have been foisted on the Po' folk at firesale prices...perhaps I will find them at the Wallyworld or K-mart or Sonnys Bar-B-Q lot...maybe the Saudis are buying them all. We haven't taken in a wounded one in maybe 4 weeks. Anyone else noticing this trend? I love it, but it is a bit startling in its quickness.

JAFO
10/20/2006, 10:27 PM
I have heard that they are on the way out.

On a podcast that I listen two about the future of automobiles they said that one of their friends purchased a new Nissan Titan and then realized that he could afford the gas. He took a $12,000 hit on the trade in.

My thoughts are that he couldn't afford to trade it in. $12K will by a a lot of gas.

Also a friend of mine and I were at a car lot and the sales guy drove us out on their back lot passed all the new Chevy Suburbans. He told us that the new ones with all the options are now pushing close to $60,000. Ouch.

ZEUS
10/22/2006, 08:13 AM
I have seen quite a few brand new Subs, Tahoes, Escalades, Yukons, and Avalanches driving around. With those brand new rides though, most of them have the way cool shut off 4 cylinders engines. I imagine quite a few people have been trading up to the new ones because of this option. However, if you can afford one of those new SUV's you might not be real worried about the price of gas anyway. I also think quite a few people keep the large rigs at home more often, now that they have bought a second ride as a commuter car. Winter is coming, I would expect to see more SUV's come out then.

WormGod
10/23/2006, 07:20 AM
They must be sending them this way then. I am forever surrounded by vehicles too large for city use, driven by people who can barely handle them. Just the other week I witnessed a woman backing her Suburban into a handicap (she had no handi-tag or mirror tag) space and she back into, broke, and knocked over the handicap sign post behind her on the sidewalk. She then proceeded to pull forward and into another space so people didnt think she did it. All that because she couldnt park 3 spaces down just to walk into Starbucks to get a coffee. I reported her to a cop that came to Starbucks about 15 minutes later and he wrote her up for destruction of property, haha.

No more than 3-4 days later, a large woman in another oversized SUV pulled into a parking lot I was in an hit the older model Lexus in the space beside her with her bumper as she pulled in. She didnt even know it. She did her shopping and left before the owner of the Lexus came out so I wrote her tag # down and gave it to the owner of the Lexus. How so grateful the woman who owned the Lexus was. She called a cop right there and then and used me as witness. I was glad to comply.

Basically, I WISH these huge cars would go away because of the morons that drive them. I used to have a CDL and I know just how aware you have to always be operating a large vehicle. These people in these oversized SUVs take their size for granted. I can only speak for my area and my experiences of course, but 3 out of 5 vehicles here is something monsterous.

JAFO
10/23/2006, 02:39 PM
I was at the mall a couple of weeks ago and I was behind two women. Has they approached their large SUV the passenger started complaining about how the little Toyota compact truck was parked too close for her to get in.

I stopped and looked at the Toyota which was parked perfectly between the lines.

Then I looked at their SUV, which was parked diagonally across the parking space, with the rear passanger tire over the line, and there was a "COMPACT" sign right in front of it.

On another trip to the same mall I was behind two people complaining that there is no parking. All of the surrounding parking and the four story garage where filled. People were driving around waiting for others to leave to get a spot. I think that the decreasing physical space will force people to drive smaller vehicles. At least in the city.

etlsport
11/09/2006, 10:09 AM
so on my lunch break today, im walking out of subway (on the sidewalk) and a woman backing out of her parking spot in a giant tahoe backs right into me! (not my vx... me) and instantly takes her car out of reverse, and starts to drive.. naturally, i punch her car, she slams on the brakes, i walk to the window and ask her (not so politely) what the hell was wrong with her.. her response was 'i cant tell how far back my truck goes' i told her to learn to drive or get a smaller car.....she replied that her kids like the room... sigh...

IndianaVX
11/09/2006, 10:33 AM
you should have told her that you like functioning legs, and a beating heart...........

etlsport
11/09/2006, 10:44 AM
hah.. if she had done anything more than just kinda push me i would have made a bigger deal.. as it is i felt sorta bad yelling since nothing really happened.. but i also figured if i didnt she was gonna squish some poor kid in a matter of weeks