PDA

View Full Version : The oil drinking problem scares me...

nfpgasmask
10/20/2006, 09:43 AM
So about 2 weeks ago I checked my oil level. Everything was kosher. Last night when I got home to the garage, I could SMELL it. So I popped the hood, checked the oil and sure enough, the level was VERY low. So I think I can actually SMELL when the oil is burning and low. Anyway, I noticed that with 5W it burns MUCH faster. With 15W the problem was almost non-existent. So, my question, how do you all feel about running a 10W medium weight oil (in my case Mobile-1) for both summer and winter to ease my VXs drinking problem?

Bart

Joe_Black
10/20/2006, 10:03 AM
In the owner's manual you'll find acceptable grades of oil for various conditions, but as a general rule you should be fine with a Mobil-1 10W multi-grade. Check out your PCV valve as it could be faulty (even if new) or blocked. Bad PCV valves are the number one cause of excessive oil consumption.

nfpgasmask
10/20/2006, 10:23 AM
Cool, I think I will run 10W after my next change. And regarding my PCV. The one in there is "new", only about 1200 miles on it since my last change. So far, I have used three different PCV brands, and I think I like the Purolator PV1061 the best. It fits the best and my oil consumption running with it was the least.

The oil problem is strange. Its like the truck is fine, fine, fine, then BAM! all the oil is gone.

:eek:

Bart

In the owner's manual you'll find acceptable grades of oil for various conditions, but as a general rule you should be fine with a Mobil-1 10W multi-grade. Check out your PCV valve as it could be faulty (even if new) or blocked. Bad PCV valves are the number one cause of excessive oil consumption.

Tobert
10/20/2006, 12:15 PM
I've been running the Chevron 15w40 for a little while now and am quite happy with it.

I will be switching my wife's Subaru over to Rotella 15w40 synthetic this weekend, since I've read that it helps with the clattering some (all?) Subarus have.

The owner's manual specification tells you two things:
* what will void your warranty (if they even bother to check which is unlikely)
* what the EPA recommendation of the day is

The only possible bearing on reality it has is that an engine designer might build in tolerances according to the expected oil viscosity. Then again, they also forgot to put enough oil holes in the pistons. They're not perfect either.

So, use what works. Many Isuzu owners (planetisuzu) have reported good results with 15w40, especially Shell/Rotella synthetic resolving the oil consumption problems. I'm always inclined to go with experience over theory/superstition any day. Some people here have good experience with the Mobil-1 SUV formula 10w30, so that might be the way to go if you'd rather stay within the specs of your owner's manual. Change to the Rotella at the next change if it still burns oil.

etlsport
10/20/2006, 12:38 PM
im now using quaker state 10w-30 4x4 synthetic formula in the vx and its cut down oil consuption a little (.5 qt this time vs 1qt last time).. but it could also be that i changed out my pcv at the same time i went to the QS

psychos2
10/20/2006, 01:18 PM
The problem is the pcv valve. I have had the problem and replced the pcv valve and it is fine ,then all of a sudden down 2 qts.I have solved the problem by putting in a breather and plugging the line that goes to the intake plenum.I have had no problems since. It has probably been 8 months. If you want specifics let me know. shawn

iamjacksadrenalgland
10/20/2006, 01:31 PM
The problem is the pcv valve. I have had the problem and replced the pcv valve and it is fine ,then all of a sudden down 2 qts.I have solved the problem by putting in a breather and plugging the line that goes to the intake plenum.I have had no problems since. It has probably been 8 months. If you want specifics let me know. shawn

i'm interested, specifics please!

JHarris1385
10/20/2006, 01:34 PM
me too

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/20/2006, 01:55 PM

In the past, I too experienced the sudden excessive oil consumption. Ever since going with "changing my PCV every other oil change" plus removing my EGR Valve about every 30k miles for cleaning with O2 sensor safe carb cleaner and putting in a breather after supercharger install....I've had no problems since either. Here are pictures from my gallery showing before breather and after breather install. Breather filter is the purplish colored one that looks kind of like a mushroom (toadstool)...lol.

before breather installed....air is pulled from elbow connected to MAF & airbox.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4942&cat=500&page=1

after breather installed...hose to inake/air filter is eliminated...eliminated hole in elbow by replacing (elbow/stock airbox) with custom air intake that doesn't have a hole.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4958&cat=500&page=1

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4959&cat=500&page=1

psychos2
10/20/2006, 02:44 PM
i'm interested, specifics please!

What I did was bought a small breather from autozone ($10) and got a piece of rubber hose the right diameter and a couple hose clamps. I used the hose to connect the breather to the pcv valve and install the stock clamps to make sure it does not fall off. Take the hose that is connected to the intake plenum and plug it , I used a bolt that was the right diameter and used the hose clamps on both ends of the hose. It is very important that this hose is plugged or you will have an air leak.The breather is actually hidden under the plastic cover. I did not actually remove the pcv valve, just made it so the oil cannot be sucked into the intake. The reason this happens is poor design of the valve cover. There is either no baffle or insuficient baffles to stop this from happening when the pcv valve sticks open. I will post a pic as soon as I can. shawn

nfpgasmask
10/20/2006, 03:54 PM
Multiple pics please, as most of this is over my head!

Thanks!

Bart

PS - Thinking of trying Royal Purple next oil change, just for the heck of it. There is a Summit Racing store here, and they have a full stock of RP.

What I did was bought a small breather from autozone ($10) and got a piece of rubber hose the right diameter and a couple hose clamps. I used the hose to connect the breather to the pcv valve and install the stock clamps to make sure it does not fall off. Take the hose that is connected to the intake plenum and plug it , I used a bolt that was the right diameter and used the hose clamps on both ends of the hose. It is very important that this hose is plugged or you will have an air leak.The breather is actually hidden under the plastic cover. I did not actually remove the pcv valve, just made it so the oil cannot be sucked into the intake. The reason this happens is poor design of the valve cover. There is either no baffle or insuficient baffles to stop this from happening when the pcv valve sticks open. I will post a pic as soon as I can. shawn

Joe_Black
10/20/2006, 04:38 PM
There are a variety of direct plug-in filters that can supplant the PCV valve. One popular and easy to fit unit is from K&N: K&N Crankcase Vent Filter (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=62-1140)

http://kandn.com/images/l/62-1140.jpg

I don't know the grommet ID offhand, but you'd just need to order the appropriate flange diameter and simply replace the PCV. You can then either put a plug in the PCV draw-off hose or one in place of it where it mounts.

iamjacksadrenalgland
10/20/2006, 05:27 PM
good stuff, joe and psychos2 ... many thanks. i plan to tackle this issue in 2 weeks when i have a long weekend off.

Tone
10/21/2006, 07:31 AM
You mean ya'll don't open your hood for 2 weeks or more? Those are the ones who are broken down in traffic since they didn't see the leaking hose or low fluid level or with an underflated tire that is soon to be a flat.

Preventative maintenance is the way to go - I check the oil at every or every other fueling. Even my MB manual states it is within spec for my AMG motor to use up to a quart per 1000 miles (mine uses none except when on the track).

psychos2
10/21/2006, 07:00 PM
You mean ya'll don't open your hood for 2 weeks or more? Those are the ones who are broken down in traffic since they didn't see the leaking hose or low fluid level or with an underflated tire that is soon to be a flat.

I open the hood to fill the wiper fluid and when I change the oil. It must suck to have to open the hood to check your tire pressure!!! shawn :bgwb: :bwgr: :smilewink :bgwb: :bwgr: :smilewink