PDA

View Full Version : Hazard Flasher switch - lit, or not lit?

Raque Thomas
10/14/2006, 04:32 AM
Driving the VX the other night, I thought it strange that all the switches except the hazard switch light up. I had an extra switch in the garage and checked it when I got home. There's a light bulb in it, but when I shined a flashlight through the hole, the triangle symbol didn't light up. I thought they probably have a standard switch blank with a place for a bulb that they use for all switches. Being the curious person I am, I checked the wiring diagrams. The switch gets a dash light feed, so presumably that light is lit at night - why would they go to all that trouble if the switch is opaque and the light doesn't get through??

Or, is my light bulb faulty? Does anyone's hazard switch light up with the rest of the switches?

nater
10/14/2006, 07:16 AM
My Trooper lights up. I think it's the same switch.

Nate

LittleBeast
10/14/2006, 08:36 AM
The hazard switch definitely lites up. If you pop the switch out from the back (it comes forward through the hole it is mounted in). You will see there are presumably two spots for a light on the side of the unit. The bottom spot if you shine a light through will not lite up because it is blocked out. You have to take a regular screw driver and turn the bulb housing thing that looks kinda like a wide plastic phillips head screw counter clockwise just a little and it will pull straight out. Check to make sure the last time the plug was plugged in it did not push your Green wire with the red stripe's connector out that would be the positive Illumination switch also check the Red wire with the green stripe's connection as I think it is used as a negative to the illumination circuit some times. That bulb is small it is a grain of wheat of rice bulb. I know I have pics of all this somewhere that I took when i converted the whole interior to LED's but I don't know where if i find them I will try to post them. Hope that helps, but yes it does illuminate.
In Christ,
Ryan H

etlsport
10/14/2006, 09:14 AM
littlebeast, how did you manage to take apart the the power/winter mode buttons? the light in my power mode button is out, i pulled it out and looked at it, looking for what you described in the flasher switch, but didnt see it

LittleBeast
10/15/2006, 09:19 AM
The power winter buttons were probably the toughest of all of the buttons to replce with Led's. As far as getting to it all you need is a phillips to take apart all of the plastic interior trim peices then once you get the power winter buttons out use a very very small regular head screw driver to carefully pry the housing apart. Once it is all apart there are two very small bulbs in there. The easiest thing to do is to unwrap the wire leads from around their rubber bases after sliding the bulbs and the bulbs out from there mounts. If you replace with Led's you will need to put the resistors for the LED's in line outside of the housing all together. It is easy to re wrap the wire leads for the new bulbs around the old rubber bases and just slide into place.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL to not loose the two small ball bearings and springs that are in there. Careully make note of exactly how it all goes together in there before you end up like me with everything apart and relying on trial and error to see which option gets the power button to push and stay and gets the winter buttom to just press and immediately come back to the original position. Basically you have to completely pull the housing apart to get to these bulbs and until you see the bulbs in this housing you are not there yet. The bulbs wire leads will be pushed through and wrapped around black rubber "blocks" that have I think two very small holes in them. It is not that complicated but be careful not to loose any parts as the sprinngs will probably unseat and parts could go everywhere. As I remember the bulbs in this housing are even smaller than the other housing. But somehow I managed to fit two LEDs in there so I am sure you will be able to figure something out. Bad thing is I think I remember saving all these pictures of this on my roommate's computer and now I have a new roommate and new computer. I'll ask him if he can e-mail them to me maybe. Hope that helps, but yes this housing is constructed completely different than the others.