PDA

View Full Version : Thule Fairing 871 HELP!!!

JHarris1385
10/10/2006, 01:41 PM
So I finally got the fairing in the mail after a coupl weeks wait from class cycle.com....The problem is I read that you really dont need the might mounts if you want to take out the weatherstrip out of the rack and slide the screws in. This is the way I wanted to go. I tried it and the fiaring would not sit probperly on the roof even after trying to tweak its stance/position. The foam pads did not touch the roof on the outside 2 bars. I am wondering if I was go purchase the might mounts I would not have this problem and would not have the wingnuts sitkcing in the air either.....And if so how would i cut off the back box on the mounts....

John

JHarris1385
10/11/2006, 03:09 PM
*bump*

WormGod
10/13/2006, 06:49 AM
Thats simply how it works on the VX. My 2 sides just rest on top of the roof rails. No damage is done at all and there is still no danger of the fairing blowing off. What some have done that I have seen is to take the 2 plastic extensions off the sides of the fairing. This way it will rest completely down on the roof, but the fairing is shortened.

This is mine, just resting on the rails....

http://wormgod.8m.com/Images/Misc/aug/DSCF0005.jpg

JHarris1385
10/14/2006, 10:48 AM
I remeber reading about mighty mounts but could not find a great pic. Just making sure this is the only way. So correct if I am wrong, the ends rest on the roof rail while the middle ones are in contact with the roof? And the wing nuts are still high in the air? And do you still have that box on the back of them or did you cut them off and with what tool? Thanks