PDA

View Full Version : New PV Impressions

Tone
04/28/2003, 08:43 AM
SIZE
One finally shipped to me last Friday and immediately sought out the welder to swap it out. New muffler is substantially smaller and lighter than the first generation PV but looks to have a larger interior area. Nice welds, solid interior, should be a breeze to install and gives you added clearance at the muffler.

SOUND
Initial sound at WOT was louder outside the vehicle (those who heard it in Houston, please chime in) but is quieter INSIDE, with no resonance or rumbling at idle or WOT. Idle is quieter as I cannot hear it now when remote started in my garage (even with the door closed) - strange but cool.

PERFORMANCE
Louder usually feels faster but I’m on the fence about this. The first gen PV was just short of miraculous in it’s performance increase so I do not expect a huge difference. Mileage might well have been improved on the trip to Houston as I can usually blow through almost a full tank and this time only used a bit more than a half. John has tested it on the Dyno and shown an increase over the 1st gen so it’s even better.

I’ve only got about 500 miles on the muffler so we’ll have to see how it ages.

Moncha
04/28/2003, 08:47 AM
You're killing me Smalls!

Upgrades, Mods, I'm out of cash!!

Tone
04/28/2003, 10:23 AM
They are starting to ship - Cianci, Hughes, and Abubakari’s went out this morning and tracking numbers emailed. Hope to have everyone elses shipped by Moab.

james1_10018
04/28/2003, 10:42 AM
What is "WOT " ? I am new to this stuff.Since the design seems to have changed abit, will this affect the performance ?

James

Reg Hinnant
04/28/2003, 10:51 AM
It couldnt be "With Out Tone".....!
How about "When Off Throttle"?
or "What Orfice Toots"
Hummmm...."With Out Taste"?

Reg Hinnant
04/28/2003, 10:54 AM
Sorry, james1_10018, I just couldnt resist.....hehe
Common term for "Wide Open Throttle" (I think, mabe)

IsuZOOM
04/28/2003, 11:51 AM
Exactly right, Wide Open Throttle. Basically means, "When I'm flooring it".

RobVX
04/28/2003, 12:27 PM
Tone:
If you've got room in your already loaded vehicle on your way to Moab, I'd like to take a PV off your hands. Is the Texas group still planning on coming through Ft. Worth on your way??? Lemme know my friend. Rob A.

coachreed
04/28/2003, 02:18 PM
I am quite curious as to how the lower backpressure affects the low end power. In the offroad world, I think that low end would be most important and with lower backpressure, there is generall a loss of low end torque. When can we expect numbers? Patiently waiting...

Coach... aka Randy!

Tone
04/28/2003, 03:44 PM
Yes Virginia, there is plenty of low end improvement from the PV.

Tone
04/28/2003, 06:25 PM
Also, if anyone is interested in upgrading to the new version, I’ll give a $50 credit upon return of the old one (if not perforated).

IsuZOOM
04/28/2003, 06:27 PM
Tone, are you deleting my posts? I replied here a few hours ago...

Anyhow, I said: I think Randy (coachreed) may have been referring to the brand new design of the PV muffler?

psychos2
04/28/2003, 06:42 PM
so when are there going to be some extras for sale? (that are not already spoken for) shawn

Tone
04/28/2003, 06:45 PM
After/at Moab but the sooner you place the order, the sooner you’ll be on the list to get one.

hughesdt
05/02/2003, 04:19 PM
Got mine and will try to find a shop to put it on this weekend. Can hardly wait, will make a great addition to the SC.

Dan

coachreed
05/06/2003, 05:14 AM
Welp, I climbed on the PV bandwagon last night... I look forward to receiving it so I can see first hand just how nice it is. Thanks Tone!

Coach... aka Randy!

VX-KING
05/06/2003, 05:48 AM
what is better PV muffler or Flowmaster
cuz i have a flowmaster on my vx and it lond will of couse i have close to 310 hp inside my engine for racing

so tell me why is PV mufflers is so much better :?: :?:

Tone
05/06/2003, 12:48 PM
Compare the dyno numbers from your Flowmaster and let the numbers do the talking. I have never seen a muffler deliver the power this muffler does. Flowmaster has also just entered the 6 cyl market and what works for an 8cyl does NOT for a 6 - very different creatures.

paultvx
05/08/2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by VX-KING
what is better PV muffler or Flowmaster
cuz i have a flowmaster on my vx and it lond will of couse i have close to 310 hp inside my engine for racing

so tell me why is PV mufflers is so much better :?: :?:

Huh??

Tone
05/08/2003, 05:26 AM
Good news, John assures me all orders will be shipped by Fri May 9 - I will to the FedEx ground tracking numbers out of him before I leave for Moab.

AlaskaVX
05/08/2003, 11:26 AM
Thanx for the update Tone,

VX-KING: How the hell do you have 310 HP?!!!!!!! Have you dyno'd it? It just seems a little much to believe :confused:

Jay Dunford
05/08/2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
VX-KING: How the hell do you have 310 HP?!!!!!!! Have you dyno'd it? It just seems a little much to believe :confused:

A 100 shot of NOS'll do it. He also claimed to hit 207 MPH in the 1/2 mile too:rolleyes:

Dallas4u
05/08/2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by paultvx
Huh??

:D

FeatherFoot
05/08/2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Jay Dunford
A 100 shot of NOS'll do it. He also claimed to hit 207 MPH in the 1/2 mile too:rolleyes:

I smell a rodeo!! :homer:

Dallas4u
05/08/2003, 03:45 PM
I smell something worse...

AlaskaVX
05/08/2003, 04:24 PM
VX-King your so full of $#!% that your eyes are turning brown! :)
I don't believe any 18 year old kid would own a VX with NOS!

Prove me wrong if I am...

paultvx
05/08/2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
I smell something worse...

King of... uh... nevermind.

Cobrajet
05/09/2003, 04:05 PM
This is the same guy who claims to drive a Boss 429 in one thread and is selling a Boss 302 in another thread. That's a little too ambitious for a kid. Let's see some pics...
http://users.erols.com/ghnorth/smCobra.jpg

coachreed
05/09/2003, 10:12 PM
Has it shipped yet? How bout now? Ok, how bout now? Is it on its way yet?! Can you tell I'm wanting to get ahold of my next mod? I look forward to receiving even the email with tracking number... I already made arrangements to get it put on... gonna happen the same day I get it... even if it IS after hours at the exhaust shop! ;Db;

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

AlaskaVX
05/12/2003, 03:39 PM
How 'bout now? :)

Navigator
05/12/2003, 04:17 PM
Not yet :D

deton8r
05/17/2003, 04:58 PM
I just got my PV muffler today ;Db; It was a pleasant surprise considering Tone usually notifies people with the tracking info and I didn't hear anything. It's much smaller than I imagined but I can see how this would outflow a Magnaflow muffler. Should get it installed within the next week or so.

paultvx
05/17/2003, 10:54 PM
Tone was probably busy with the Moab trip.

coachreed
05/18/2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by deton8r
Should get it installed within the next week or so.

Well, whats gonna take so long?! Once mine shows up, it will be LESS than 24 hours before it gets installed. I have already made arrangments... they are just waiting for the call.

Is it here yet?!

Coach... aka Randy! <--STILL impatiently waiting!

Grant Eaton
05/20/2003, 09:50 AM
I got my PV muffler on Saturday and just now dropped the VX off at Midas to have it installed. The Midas tech said it would require some custom work to install it because it isn't an exact-fit replacement for the OEM muffler. Midas is charging me $85 for labor plus $10 for two flanges (about $110 total with tax). I pick it up in a couple hours.

Tone
05/20/2003, 12:18 PM
Ouch - all they should be doing is cutting out the stock one and adding in about 6” of 2.5” pipe. Flanges are not required unless you want to be able to unbolt just the muffler from the existing pipe.

Grant Eaton
05/20/2003, 12:28 PM
Got it installed and will be driving to Vancouver, BC today -- should be a good 300 mile RT to break it in. First impression is that it is very much louder inside the cabin; at certain speeds, the hum becomes a resonance that is tough to bear. I think it will mellow out after 500 miles as others have said. But, just in case, I saved that heavy, behemoth stock muffler. It does sound much more aggressive and has a "growl" at certain points. I haven't been able to open up the throttle yet to see how it performs. Also, I still have a stock air filter so that could restrict airflow until I replace it.

gruven
05/20/2003, 01:45 PM
Arrived here in Nashville today safe & sound- looks to be very clean with good workmanship.

Thanks Tone for the updates & staying in touch.

Appt. made for install tomorrow AM (along w/tints ;Db; ) so it will be a big day. Other than just "cutting out the stock one and adding in about 6" of 2.5" pipe" are there any other things I need to know? Just wondering if I could be missing any tricks to help keep dB & performance at reasonable/optimum levels.

-gruven:supercool

AlaskaVX
05/20/2003, 05:53 PM
Just a COMPLETELY off the wall question "What would happen if you dynomatted your muffler?" Just popped in my head after gruvens question. trying to keep the db down.

paultvx
05/20/2003, 07:15 PM
I think the muffler is suppose to mellow out a bit after some time.

I am guessing you mean dynomatting the body just above the muffler. The amount of heat the dynomatt would be subject to... I don't think it will stick and will fall of in the long run.

coachreed
05/21/2003, 10:10 AM
Well, my PV showed up yesterday... it'll be on tonight... I'll check in later! TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

AlaskaVX
05/21/2003, 10:32 AM
Recieved my muffler last night, now I have to wait to get paid to throw it on.

Thank you

chumone
05/21/2003, 02:49 PM
Just had mine installed this morning. First impression is that it's well-built.

It really growls during acceleration, but drops down to a purr when cruising. Can't say that I notice anything different power-wise 'cause the noise grabs my attention more than anything else. It's quite a bit louder than I was hoping for, but if my gas mileage improves as advertised, then I'll be more than happy to live with the increased noise. Still hoping it'll mellow out with time though.

Grant Eaton
05/21/2003, 10:07 PM
The PV muffler seems too loud for my taste. When there's a load on the engine, the interior is so loud you can't carry a conversation or hear music easily. The VX startles people when it starts up. My PV now has 310 miles and it really hasn't mellowed as far as I can tell. I'll give it another couple weeks, but I'm afraid it's going to get me in trouble with the law at the current volume level. Not to mention the fact that its volume negates any improvement Dynamatting made. I saved my stock muffler in case I decide to switch back.

I think there may be a marginal gas mileage improvement, but I haven't filled up the tank yet so I don't have exact calculations. I'm guessing a 1 mpg improvement over stock.

I think it does add acceleration power, especially at higher speeds, but I can't justify the improved acceleration with the noise levels it generates.

coachreed
05/21/2003, 11:19 PM
Mine was installed this afternoon as well... my first impression?! I love it! Yeah, its got a little growl to it, but I like it. Its not overly loud... can be heard... heck, I keep playing around with the go-pedal so I can hear it... my guess is my gas mileage will go down for the first tank or two. I will however be making a 1250 drive on Saturday alone, so I will be able to test gas mileage with that trip as well as tell ya if there is an issue with noise... my guess is no, it won't be a problem.

Grant-
You must have super-sensitive ears. I didn't think it was that bad. And I doubt you would have trouble with the law... mine isn't near as loud as some of the rice crap out there... so its all good.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Grant Eaton
05/22/2003, 05:49 AM
Would this quiet down the PV noticebly? Or will it only help vehicles with no muffler at all?

http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/dynatechstore/getproduct.cfm?CategoryID=30&ClassID=278&SubclassID=1309&ProductID=2476

http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/cat_images/7232520.jpg

100% T-304 Stainless Steel Construction
Compact Size Fits All Racing Applications
Ultra Lightweight-Less Than 1/2 lb. each
Little or No Power Loss
Easy Bolt Installation
Insert Cones on 3", 3 1/2", 4", 4 1/2", 5"
Turn Down with Insert Cone in 3", 3 1/2", 4"

Let's face it! Open exhaust racing is a thing of the past. Sound requirements, mandatory mufflers, or maximum dB levels are found in all forms of racing today. From Mini-Stocks to Outlaw Sprint Cars, reducing the sound level is becoming the norm. Today's racers are spending thousands of dollars to go racing. The last thing they want to do is get put on the trailer for too much noise. The Vortex Insert Cone can help keep you on track.

How It Works: The Vortex Insert Cone, installed near the exit of the header collector or muffler outlet, provides a large friction area to reflect and dissipate sound energy, thus reducing the dB level. The open area of the cone is actually greater than the area of the collector or exhaust pipe, thus reducing a backpressure condition. Because no significant backpressure has been introduced, the engine is still able to use the scavenge ability of a good header to creat horsepower and torque. Dyno and track testing show significant noise reduction with little or no power loss.

Reg Hinnant
05/22/2003, 08:26 AM
Glad I'm not the only one with "sensitive ears". These were the same thoughts I had on interior noise with the original catback (as well as the wheezenator).
After Dynamatting I was not willing to put up with the interior noise. I was hoping the new muffler design would not have the interior sound.
Grant, the vortex cone looks interesting. Usually there are no answers on these things till someone bites the bullet and purchases one & tries it.

gruven
05/22/2003, 09:26 AM
So as I walked into the dealership to pick up my baby I noticed a bunch of eyes turn upon me. Now granted I'm long due for a shave and the AM is not my best time of day, I knew something was up...

I approached my mechanic who had a look similar to this ==> ;Db;
Apparently tinting and installing the PVault had created quite a buzz in the shop. I overheard somebody talking about "that custom exhaust system" heh heh...;pg;
He held out the key and, as if in slow motion, in one smooth move I snatched them out of his hand and jumped in.

VRROOOOMMMMM. VRROOOOMMM!!
WOW-I didn't anticipate having to bring a change of pants...
This would have given that punk in the m*zda commercials an idea of what's really going on.

First impressions are I love it- I think I mainly notice more of the dB 'range' now as at cruising it just purrs but gettin' on it is loud and attention drawing. I know that this initial 'sharpness' will mellow so am not worried- but keeping my old one around nonetheless. The dragon just wants to go now too especially at highway speeds- engine feels like it has both lungs and just wants to run in it's new found freedom.

Thumbs up so far and worth the wait-but I will be performing a search on 'dynamat'...

-gruven:supercool

AnalogVX
05/22/2003, 11:39 AM
I rode in Nocturnals VX with the old PV and there was absolutely NO interior noise. Even when he got on it I could hear it and it sounded great, but it was not offensive. Could there be that much variation in production that some PV's are coming out louder than others? Is the new style that much louder? I am still on the fence with this issue and now I am not so sure I want to take the chance of getting a loud one. My kid rides in the back seat and I don't want to expose her to excessive noise. The wind is loud enough at highway speeds.

webdog
05/22/2003, 02:08 PM
Just got my PV put on. Cost me $37.84 to get it installed.
Six inches of tubing and one bracket did the trick.
Put my VX into "growl" mode. The guy that installed it
wanted to know where I got all that red mud from. MOAB was great!

The brake light flasher is cool too. Thanks for the install Tone.

I need more skid plates before the next trip to Moab!
......and rock bars......and a lift......front locker? naw!

These trucks are great rides. :cool:

Reg Hinnant
05/22/2003, 07:38 PM
Analogvx, I really don't understand it either. I had the cat-back like Nocturnals and the interior noise was bad enough to put the original muffler back on. Strange!

AnalogVX
05/22/2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by SPAZZ
Hey Rich, you heard mine, What did you think?

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I was at work and cleared my cookies so as to avoid another "good looking Jeep" incident and I forgot my password to log in. :D

Anyway...Yours sounded great from outside the vehicle. We only tooled around the campground for a few hundred feet or so for me to make a valid judgement. I detected a slight resonation at low rpm's but I can't make a really good observation without having riden in it at cruising speeds. Do you notice any drone at highway speeds? What about after you had the exhaust fixed?

AnalogVX
05/22/2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Reg Hinnant
Analogvx, I really don't understand it either. I had the cat-back like Nocturnals and the interior noise was bad enough to put the original muffler back on. Strange!

Yea...I couldn't even detect a PV muffler until he nailed it.

Hey Tone...can we send it back for an exchange if the noise level is too high?

paultvx
05/23/2003, 12:23 AM
I originally thought the vast differences in what people have reported were due to differences in personal preference. Now it's starting to sound like quality control issues or inconsistency in manufacturing. HP gain is good, but resonance can get old very fast... especially on long trips. Been there, done that. I also wonder if installation (i.e. exact location and length of the muffler in relation to the rest of the system) could be the blame for the inconsistent results. Any engineer/physicist types here? It's been too long since my college physics courses for me to recall the specifics.

I_Wanna_Retire
05/23/2003, 03:43 AM
Any comparison comments from those who have heard both the PV1 and PV2? Louder, different tone?

coachreed
05/23/2003, 09:25 AM
I'm taking a 1250 mile trip this saturday. I'll let ya know if the noise gets to be too much. If its gonna be bad, this is when its gonna be noticed. I will also try to pay attention to whether the tone changes during this trip. All in all, I STILL think it soulds great.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!