PDA

View Full Version : Tesla Roadster

Triathlete
10/08/2006, 11:36 AM
Have any of you seen this...theTesla Roadster (http://www.ohgizmo.com/2006/08/18/tesla-roadster-videos) . I think a lot more people would go electric when this hits the street...if they could afford the $90,000-$100,000 price tag. Its speed rivals most of the top sports cars out there and it will go 250 miles between charges.

Hotsauce
10/08/2006, 12:50 PM
How far will it go in traffic with the lights, and heater or AC on?

My real world Friday night drive home is only 17 miles, but when theres traffic it can be a 3 hour trip.

John C.

iamjacksadrenalgland
10/08/2006, 01:18 PM
seems like a lot of money for a car that you can't even take on a road trip.

however, i LOVE the styling compared to the elise's styling, whose platform it shares.

i hope a tesla body kit becomes available for the elise.

Joe_Black
10/08/2006, 02:03 PM
This has been a pretty hot topic in the EV circles since last year when it all started to come together. If you can give up a little of that range then you could have that kind of performance from an inexpensive garage conversion of your favorite little blown-engine classifieds special. ;)

The biggest issue with electrics and Americans is range. Most overlook the opportunity to use an electric for the daily commute and weekend errands which are 95% of most folk's driving, while using a second fuel-powered vehicle or renting for road trips. The savings and incentives far outweigh the additional insurance for two vehicles, not to mention the fun-factor of blowing away gassers at the light. :p

How far will it go in traffic with the lights, and heater or AC on?
Accessory load have little effect on overall range as these are 12V loads drawn from the main 190V - 480V power pack through a DC-DC converter.