PDA

View Full Version : Getting Windows fixed

ctp
10/02/2006, 04:08 AM
First of all, let me say I'm in Iraq and my VX is in Hawaii, so I won't be fixing it myself. Before I left both windows began slowing, and then the dreaded canting. How much is it going to cost to fix? I know there will be + or - $$$, but am I looking at $50 or $500.

I should have seen it coming. The cd player went a while ago. I was going to sell it, but then I look at pics of it and come to my senses.

kpaske
10/02/2006, 07:18 AM
Sorry to say, it's hit or miss with those windows. Even the dealership doesn't have a solid solution that always works. A few members here have found various solutions, but none that work universally. If you do a search here you will find countless threads discussing your options.

crager34
10/02/2006, 11:18 AM
Yep. Not sure if there is a permanant fix, as mine are dying AGAIN!!! :mad:

IndianaVX
10/02/2006, 08:28 PM
heyctp,
i noticed on my, as others may have, that when i did the window fixes, (all of them on mine,3 i think,) that the slowing that i noticed was not to bad once the window was lined up properly. guys, is it safe to say initally, that the slow window doesnt mean the motor is trash yet?? to do all the mods on the window, i think i spent less than 6 bucks, and that included a new dremell bit. all said, id do the window fixes first, befor having a buddy buy a new motor. if you want to send me to your place, i will fix it for you :smack: ........should only take about a week and a half two tops !!!:thumbup: lol

thank you for your work over there,
God bless,
david

WILLY
10/03/2006, 01:12 AM
All I Do Is Spray Silicone Lube On The Side Tracks From Top To Bottom Every So Often And They Work Great,no More Tipping Foward And Dragging,they Work Like Brand New And When I Bought It They Hardly Moved Up Cause The Rubber In The Track Was Dry And Would Cause The Window To Tip And Stick.easy Fix No Modifications Needed.

nfpgasmask
10/03/2006, 09:44 AM
Hey Willy,

Mine are getting pretty slow too, were can I get silicone lube? And what brand do you use? Is this something I can get at Home Depot? Also, where exactly do you spray it?

Thanks - Bart

All I Do Is Spray Silicone Lube On The Side Tracks From Top To Bottom Every So Often And They Work Great,no More Tipping Foward And Dragging,they Work Like Brand New And When I Bought It They Hardly Moved Up Cause The Rubber In The Track Was Dry And Would Cause The Window To Tip And Stick.easy Fix No Modifications Needed.

LittleBeast
10/03/2006, 09:57 AM
I got my Silicone Spray at AutoZone for $3, pepboys did not have any.

JHarris1385
10/03/2006, 12:01 PM
IndianaVX
I am in IN as well, are you serious you can really fix the windows?

WILLY;LittleBeast
What ecattly is this lube and how do you exactally apply it. Thanks

kpaske
10/03/2006, 12:07 PM
i noticed on my, as others may have, that when i did the window fixes, (all of them on mine,3 i think,) ...should only take about a week and a half two tops !!!:thumbup: lol...
IndianaVX
I am in IN as well, are you serious you can really fix the windows?Sure, he'll do all three of them and they'll only take two weeks!

WILLY
10/03/2006, 01:40 PM
I Use Crc Heavy Duty Silicone Spray From Wal-mart In The Lubricant Isle In Automotive Right By The Wd-40 Its In A Red And White Can $1.77.just Spray It On The Side Tracks Where The Edges Of The Window Run,use The Little Stick That Comes With It,some Will Get On The Window But Wipes Right Off With No Goobery Oily Stuff.spray It With A Good Amount The First Couple Times To Git Things Lubed Up And Then Run Ur Windows Up And Down And It Will B Like Magic,then When U Start To Notice Them Slowing Again Spray Them Again,u Will Probably Have To Do It Once A Month Or So Depending On Temp Conditions Outside,and Winter They Will Run A Little Slower Cause Cold Air Makes Things Expand There For Causing Friction So U Will Have To Keep Lubed More Often Maybe In The Winter If U Have Winter Where U Live Lol.

WILLY
10/03/2006, 01:42 PM
O U WILL HAVE TO HAVE THE DOOR OPEN AND THE WINDOW ALL THE WAY DOWN WHEN U SPRAY UR SIDE TRACKS. :p

creeg
10/03/2006, 02:22 PM
I Love That You Are Capitalizing The First Letter Of Every Word. Thats Funny. But Makes It Harder To Read.

kpaske
10/03/2006, 02:31 PM
Actually When Its Cold Outside Liquids Expand Because They Freeze But Things Like Metals Actually Contract But Your Rite Because The Silicon Lubricant Spray Will Flow Slower In The Winter And Just For The Record They Have Winter Everywhere Because The Earth Orbits The Sun On A Tilted Axis Which Alters The Angle At Which Sunlight Reaches Different Parts Of The Planet During Different Times Of The Year Which Changes Its Intensity Giving Us What We Perceive As Different Seasons But Depending On How Close To The Equator You Are It May Or May Not Be A Dramatic Difference From One Season To The Next lol.

;Db;;Db;;Db;

nfpgasmask
10/03/2006, 02:44 PM
U guyS arE funnY

:jump:

JHarris1385
10/03/2006, 02:56 PM
Quit with the caps......Its like your starting a sentence with every word. Ha ha

Ldub
10/03/2006, 04:15 PM
Actually When Its Cold Outside Liquids Expand Because They Freeze But Things Like Metals Actually Contract But Your Rite Because The Silicon Lubricant Spray Will Flow Slower In The Winter And Just For The Record They Have Winter Everywhere Because The Earth Orbits The Sun On A Tilted Axis Which Alters The Angle At Which Sunlight Reaches Different Parts Of The Planet During Different Times Of The Year Which Changes Its Intensity Giving Us What We Perceive As Different Seasons But Depending On How Close To The Equator You Are It May Or May Not Be A Dramatic Difference From One Season To The Next lol.

;Db;;Db;;Db;

Buwahahaha....yer killin' mE HeRe...SEASONS???....whatever dude. :p :p

WILLY
10/03/2006, 05:40 PM
LMFAO me and my caps,i dont know what it is but caps is just easier for me to read but i know it drives everybody crazy so i will try to shut it off when im threading here :) and funny as all hell how we turn a window issue into a science project,i love this site and my fellow vx'rs it's a riot. :p

IndianaVX
10/03/2006, 06:29 PM
jharris
yes, i live about 10 minutes north of bloomington. and yes, i can do the window mods, actually in about an hour for each door, maybe less? just depends on the fine tuning. there is an ace hardware pretty close, but if i knew you were coming up, i could go ahead and get the bolts and washers, and what-not.
pm me if you want to try and do this.
i was just saying two weeks in my angle for a two week vacation in hawaii in exchange for 3 dollars in parts to fix a couple of windows:naughty:

i cant guarantee that this will "fix" your window, if its moving slow, but if its poppin out of the track, tilting, that kind of stuff, the mods help, if not cure that. i was just saying that my sluggishness was caused by the motor trying to push the window where it wasnt supposed to be going. mods fixed that.

kpaske
10/04/2006, 11:13 AM
LMFAO me and my caps...I'm glad you took it in stride as I was just having some fun. ;Db;

It seems like it takes so much effort to type like that. AnD wHaT i ReAlLy DoN't GeT iS wHeN pEoPlE tYpE lIkE tHiS. Dang that's a pain!!

As for the window fix, please document what you find to work best for you, as like I said, there still isn't one universal fix. My passenger side window is completely dead now, because I believe the binding stresses out the motor, causing the slowing at first, then eventually it will die. I probably won't need it much in the winter, but when spring rolls around I'll need the airflow again. (See, there I go with those "SEASONS" again, right LDub?) ;)

nfpgasmask
10/07/2006, 09:14 PM
Hey, I tried the silicone lube on my passenger side window today, nice tip! Its going up and down alot faster and smoother now!

Thanks!

Bart