PDA

View Full Version : Wheel dealers

WormGod
04/27/2003, 07:51 PM
I am curious at to if anyone has any GOOD, reliable wheels dealers in mind. I tried ordering some Enkei RT6 wheels last Friday only 1 out of the 5 companies I called (nationwide) even had a working phone. The 1 that did was so on crack that I had to dump them quick. They tried to say that in order to make a credit card purchase over the phone, they would need me to fax a photocopy of my drivers liscence and front and back of the credit card I wanted to use. Basically, after laughing for 5 minutes, I hung up with them ( http://www.streetdreams.org/ .... just so you know NOT to go to them.... they seem shady). Nope, not gonna happen.

I am gonna try Discount Tire tomorrow, but if anyone has any excellent dealers of wheels, please let me know. Thanks.

2K1 1K2
04/27/2003, 07:58 PM
hi. you may want to try tire rack, as well.
website - www.tirerack.com

niv_d
04/27/2003, 08:11 PM
Yep. Tire Rack is a good place with a large selection. I bought a set of tires off their web site recently. The best price I found and fast and efficient service.

Andrey
04/28/2003, 07:28 AM
I went to Town Fair Tire in New England and paid for Toyo Proxes S/T. Too bad they need to deliver them from warehose.. but hey they've matched $104.95 price from internet per tire. Can not beat that :smack:

TDAWG
04/28/2003, 10:28 AM
Hey WormGod,
When ordering rims and tire packages I always use a company in Cali called Performance Plus. They always I have great deals and you get them when they tell you will. If you decide to check them out ask for Summer cause I noticed she gives lower prices than everyone else. I ordered a set of 18" Focal F5 in chrome for a friend who drives a Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally Edition got them for $1700. They were suppose to come with some no name brand tires but when they got here they had Toyo Proxes. So give them a try and let me know what happens.

james1_10018
04/28/2003, 11:12 AM
Hey wormgod, it is not a uncommon practice for businesses to ask for copy of Drivers licence with copy of CC. You see the credit card processors and companies are really hard on merchants when it comes to theft and disputes. The d/l just verifies your address as well as the fact that they had more to prove that they had an order. Dont think they are out to rip you off because of such request. I m in the travel business and wouldnt accept a cc without copy of the cc and d/l if the transaction was over the phone

WormGod
04/28/2003, 12:29 PM
James, I just thought it was fishy because they were VERY unprofessional about the whole thing too. Answering a business ohone by saying "Yeah" and "What's up?" sorta threw me for a curve. Not only that, but, I know that here in the state of MD, it is "not legal" to ask for a drivers liscence on a purchase with a CC "unless" the back of the C isnt signed. I spoke with our inhouse lawyer and my ex (both practicing lawyers) about this dealing and they both stated that it seemed very fishy. I was informed that I should NEVER give anyone in a purchasing nature, a copy of my drivers liscence or a CC, and if I do so willingly, I have no grounds to counter in case they were used without my permission. Just a chance I am not about to take. *shrug*

Anyways, I did try TireRack, whom I have dealth with in the past and had excellent sales and experiences with, but they do not carry what I am looking for, nor dp they have a worthy selection as per my taste. I am gonna try Discount Tire when I get out of work. I know for a fact that they carry the wheels I want so it's worth the shot. If that fails, I will check out some of these other places mentioned. Thanks!

paultvx
04/28/2003, 12:41 PM
Note: Tire Rack only sells what they have. They will not special order items not carried. Discount Tire is pretty good, but I'm not sure if they will let you special order. I know their affiliate store, America's Tire Co., does.

IsuZOOM
04/28/2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by WormGod
I know that here in the state of MD, it is "not legal" to ask for a drivers liscence on a purchase with a CC "unless" the back of the C isnt signed. In my personal experience, VISA, MasterCard, Discover, AmEx, Diner's Club and every merchant agreement I've ever seen specifically demands that identification is presented with each purchase (not that anyone actually abides by that)... They're all breaking the law in MD?

I am bored today, and just spent a few minutes searching through MD statutes and couldn't find anything about this... http://198.187.128.12/maryland/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=fs-main.htm&2.0

Back to the matter at hand, I've had nothing but good luck with Discount Tire, both online and in local stores (www.tires.com).

Originally posted by paultvx
Discount Tire is pretty good, but I'm not sure if they will let you special order. I know their affiliate store, America's Tire Co., does. I think that America's Tire is actually Discount Tire, not just an affiliate. Just different names for different parts of the country. Kind of like Ultimate Electronics (which is also known as Audio King and SoundTrack in different parts of the country)

paultvx
04/28/2003, 01:15 PM
AFAIK, it's a franchise. Just like McDonalds. Each location is individually owned but are supplied and supported by the national company... Discount Tire. Regardless of what it is... you can special order wheels from them, even if you don't see the wheel on their site. If there is a location in your area, I'd go there instead because then you won't have to deal with shipping and you may be able to work on the price with the local sales rep.

WormGod
04/28/2003, 02:10 PM
Randy, just relaying what 2 different lawyers told me. Hate to say I put my trust in a "lawyer", but in this case, I'll take it as sound. As for displaying ID upon purchases, there are specific grounds for having to show an ID. Like I said, one is if the card is not signed. I have had that quite a few times. I know many folks who "purposely" will not sign their card just to that the cashier will ask for an ID for proof of ownership. Very good habit IMHO. Unfortunately, many cashiers could care less and never even look. Just swipe and go. :(

I remember getting my Yoko's from Tire Rack. They were VERY good at making sure measuements and such were all correct before finalising a purchase. I bought my tires for my Rodeo and my VX through them, and they always called me to verify that what I ordered was correct as far as the product and size. Highly recommended company in most cases, but unfortunately, they dont carry what I want this time around.

Discount is hooking me up though. The local one here doesnt have my size, but they are getting it from another store in Ohio for me. Sometimes it just takes a little time and effort ya know. :)

james1_10018
04/28/2003, 02:37 PM
You see Wormgod, when we ask for copy of CC is the same as making the old fashion zip zap imprint, now with a D/L, it is not that important but necessary if you are sending product to an address not with the billing co. The D/l is used as an address verifier. If someone wants to steal they can, how many times have you given you CC to a waiter in a restaur. ?
On the other hand, if the guys didnt give you good impression to start with, I can understand that !!

WormGod
04/28/2003, 10:13 PM
Ya james, I follow ya. Thing is, usually when you make a CC purchase, and the package is going to the same address as the CC issued, its nil a problem. But, whats done is done. Those guys seemed shady to me and I have moved on, heh.

And to top it all off, I got lazy today in this nice weather after work and sat around at Starbucks with all my pals. Never ordered the wheels. Can you say "procrastinate"? I knew ya could. ;)