PDA

View Full Version : Rear View Camera mounting

WormGod
04/27/2003, 05:34 PM
I started my installation today and it went fairly flawless. The camera is mounted in the rear hatch bay, wires are all run (not connected yet.... lost daylight :( ), and the monitor is mounted as snug as a bug in a rug. I am curious as to the direction/position, and trim of the crescent with the camera though. After popping out the cover where the cam aims out of the crescent, it seems about 25% smaller than I would like it to be. Has anyone made any cuts to their crescent so the camera gets a FULL range of vision? I plan on putting in a piece of thin, clear plastic as a cover to keep excess rain and moisture out of the bay, but wanted to wait until I was sure of the camera opening size.

Any thoughts, ideas, or pics of existing camera jobs?

IsuZOOM
04/27/2003, 07:02 PM
What technique did you use to get the crescent piece removed?

WormGod
04/27/2003, 07:43 PM
Go here and scroll down. It was not fun, but has to be done.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=807&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

IsuZOOM
04/27/2003, 08:28 PM
Sorry - I had read that before and thought it was another poster :) After two attempts, I'm convinced it's God's will that it not come off!

Moncha
04/27/2003, 08:58 PM
Use gentle but persistant persuasion..

Lori
04/28/2003, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the post about camera install...I have been waiting patiently (actually impatiently) to hear details about our particular camera (the "group buy").

Here's a thought: Perhaps it is a good thing that some of the lights are blocked--I have been experimenting with the camera (not installed but set up in back of my VX) and notice a pretty bad glare/bright light caused by the too-many red bulbs surrounding the lens. Perhaps it's my temporary monitor's fault (a really small 2" Citizen portable TV.)

If you read earlier posts (about other cameras) some people were able to actually get into their camera and disable and/or re-position the little lights, to reduce glare. It appears we cannot get into the innards of our camera, right?

Two questions about install:

Did you use sticky stuff to re attach the crescent?

Did you use the side hole in the little cavity/space for camera wire to come out? It kinda looks like that may not be an option.

Thanks in advance,
Lori

WormGod
04/28/2003, 07:31 AM
I sent an email to newthings regarding a plate he fabricated since he trimmed his crescent. He explained 2 ways he had done it with sheetmetal and of plastic. I may try both ways to see how it looks.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=719&papass=&sort=4

As for the glare, if you are shotting through the rear glass, that becomes a factor too. I havent wired any of my stuff up yet, but its all mounted and all I need to do is get some juice to the set. I dont know exactly how this camera will look at all yet. Of course, I plan on just aiming mine dirently through a porthole on the crescent. Its already mounted, just needs to be aligned and juiced up (and I need to fab a plate for its surroundings).

I was able to run the ewiring through the grommet in the camera cell. Wasnt too hard. A modeling Exacto knife makes a LOT of this sort of stuff very easy. I also used one to remove the crescent. By just slicing the tape with the knife, I am still able to fasten back the crescent and the tape still adheres to itself once again.

I am SO looking forward to getting this job done.