PDA

View Full Version : How bad is it to hit the rev limiter?

Zu4two
04/27/2003, 02:32 PM
A question to you technical types.

How bad is it to rev the engine high enough to hit the rev limiter?

Since I've installed my supercharger, it is quite easy to engage the rev limiter, just by flooring the gas and holding on. I think the increased acceleration "over speeds" the internal shift timing of the transmission, causing the engine to hit redline before the tranny can shift.

This is in normal "4HI". When you have it in "4 LO", all you have to do is sneeze and it's bouncing off the rev limiter.

Kirk

Moncha
04/27/2003, 03:04 PM
I don't know about the SC but I hit the limiter alot when I drive...

Tone
04/27/2003, 06:15 PM
Interceptor helps a LOT with this with the SC, but manually shifting will increase the probability of hitting it. But no effect from hitting the limiter.

Green Dragon
04/27/2003, 07:23 PM
My REV limiter is the floor-board & it has just a slight depression.

andy454
04/28/2003, 08:53 AM
Not too big of a deal to hit it. All we do is pull fuel to lower the rpm. The reason you are hitting the limiter sooner with the sc is the shift maps have changed for the trans. The vehicle is shifted off of rpm, torque, and fueling. All that has now changed due to the cs.

Zu4two
04/28/2003, 09:41 AM
Soooooo Andy,
What does it take to change things like shift maps, or moving the limiter up a few hundred RPM's? It probably takes a $50K ECU programmer or something? Eh?

andy454
04/28/2003, 12:50 PM
My laptop and a vsi box ;pb; . I don't know if there is company out there that makes an update or not. I think I remember Tone saying there was, but it was rather expensive.

paultvx
04/29/2003, 01:21 AM
If you know enough about the stock ECU, it should be possible to make a rev limiter eliminator that clips onto the ECU board. I've seen this done with some of the imports... although, I don't think it's worth the trouble. Like Tone said, the Interceptor should help some and it really doesn't hurt the motor much when you bounce off of the limiter... gas economy suffers a bit that's all... but then you have a SC anyway so who cares?

Speaking of the Interceptor... Tone, a while back you said the same company makes some gizmo that allows you to calibrate the speedo for different tire sizes and you said you'd look into that... what did you find out?

Tone
04/29/2003, 04:45 AM
I have a speedo calibrator and a torque converter lockup controller in my possession - just need to hook them up. Price is $165 each - if you come to Moab, be happy to let you try either or both.

MrCrowley
04/29/2003, 05:05 PM
Hey Tone- are they calibration devices, or an install component. I am interested in the speedo calibration for my VX and Trooper. Both have slightly larger tires. I am used to it, but my wife always forgets. I know cops eye her alot! Thanks

paultvx
04/29/2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by MrCrowley
Hey Tone- are they calibration devices, or an install component. I am interested in the speedo calibration for my VX and Trooper. Both have slightly larger tires. I am used to it, but my wife always forgets. I know cops eye her alot! Thanks

I could be wrong but I think it basically takes the voltage from the speed sensor, modifies the signal (the amount of modification is adjustable by you) and then sends out the signal to the speedo so that right speed is displayed.