PDA

View Full Version : Dash Mount For Laptop

chumone
09/22/2006, 09:03 AM
Anybody know a product that'll let me mount (and remove) a laptop from the dash?

Corrosive
09/22/2006, 09:24 AM
Funny that you say this because i just looked at bulldoggie's gallery and he fabed up something that you would like. Check out his gallery. Its not exactly what you were looking for, but if you are good at metal-working then you can use his as an example.
-Mike

Bulldoggie
09/22/2006, 01:59 PM
If someone was to ask me nicely, I might work-up a set of blueprints......

I could scan and E-mail
My design for holding it in place is for a 14" g4 powerbook, but it would not be hard to modify for other models.

I do notice more people have viewed those pictures than have viewed the window repair fix.

Corrosive
09/22/2006, 10:12 PM
If someone was to ask me nicely, I might work-up a set of blueprints......

I could scan and E-mail
My design for holding it in place is for a 14" g4 powerbook, but it would not be hard to modify for other models.

I do notice more people have viewed those pictures than have viewed the window repair fix.

lol.... Nice to see another person with love of a mac..... Ibook 12" here

TEN36VX
09/23/2006, 04:21 AM
Or, if you aren't in the fab'ing mood... how 'bout a RAM Pod III (http://www.ram-mount.com/nodrillsystems/rampodiii.htm) mount?

kpaske
09/25/2006, 07:35 AM
Not sure if this would work for you, or what you are trying to do exactly, but I saw a camera mount at a VW show over the weekend that looked pretty simple to make and very sturdy. My biggest issue with trying to mount a camera or other device to the VX dash would be finding a really good, strong mounting point. The camera mount I saw was basically just a straight bar attached to the two rails on the passenger side head rest. While the position might not be very good for a laptop, I could see using the same type of mount with a swing arm allowing you to suspend the laptop in the passenger seat area for easy access from the driver's seat. Of course, it wouldn't work very well if you had a passenger, but it all depends on your application.

chumone
09/25/2006, 10:44 AM
The RAM thing looks cool, but was hoping for something simple that doesn't look like a giant octopus in my car.

As for making my own from plans or whatnot, I don't know how to work with metal. Was really hoping to find a simple and compact plug and play device.