PDA

View Full Version : anti lock brakes kickin in at 1 mph or less.....

IndianaVX
09/19/2006, 06:50 PM
tonight, i was pulling into a parking space, with wheels turned just a bit,(steering wheel not even a whole turn from straight) and applied my brakes, when i felt a "shudder" for a split second. it felt like the same kind of shudder you would get from going 50mph to complete stop in a VERY short distance. i have never felt this in the whole time ive owned the truck. i did stop, and backed up, and didnt feel any shudder when i put the brakes on again, and havent felt it since.
any ideas on what to check, measure, shake or tap???
didnt like the way it felt AT ALL. but like i said, i drove 15 miles home, brakeing several times, and didnt feel anything.
hmmmm
david

Joe_Black
09/19/2006, 07:13 PM
I've had that happen on occassion and the usual culprit is some sand or something loose under that particular wheel that causes the ABS computer to think the wheel is locking: You're applying brakes, the VX is moving but one wheel isn't.

I mostly encounter this in concrete parking garages.

Ldub
09/19/2006, 07:14 PM
Do you have larger than stock tires ?...I've noticed the same thing since I installed larger tires & lift.

IndianaVX
09/19/2006, 08:28 PM
nope, standard tires and wheels, it was actually a gravel drive. but i was drivin slowly, so i dont think i kicked any gravel up into anything...... was just turning to back into the parking spot, and at the end of my forward turn,(to back up into the spot) that was when the shudder happened. so you think im ok, or should i get the hammer out, and tap stuff???lol
so i guess i shouldnt worry??

WILLY
09/20/2006, 12:56 AM
I Think Ur Ok.its Normal Abs Behavior

Joe_Black
09/20/2006, 04:27 AM
but i was drivin slowly, so i dont think i kicked any gravel up into anything.
It doesn't take any speed to get this effect, just for a tire to slide while braking. Even just pulling into a parking spot slowly is enough force if one tire rolls over something like sand or gravel which offers less friction allowing that particular corner to lock and trigger the ABS. Since you state you were on gravel provides a classic example of a surface that ABS has a hard time interpreting.

So no worries, your ABS is acting normally. ;)

IndianaVX
09/20/2006, 07:35 AM
sheewww, i feel much better...........:clap:

glad to hear its not serious, and not even an issue

thanks buds!!!!:thumbup: