PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft problem

AU92
09/19/2006, 05:32 PM
My dealer says I may need to replace my front or rear drive shaft. Does anyone know how much this should cost?

Joe_Black
09/19/2006, 06:38 PM
Did they give you a reason to replace the entire driveshaft?

Sounds more like your dealer is getting ready to give you a lube job. Take it to a driveshaft shop for a second opinion, if there is indeed something wrong with a propeller shaft.

Please share what symptoms you're experiencing and maybe we can get you closer to the mark and save some grief and $$$.

AU92
09/20/2006, 03:43 AM
I have a vibration somwhere that shows up around 50-70 mph. They think it's a drive shaft but they don't know if it is front or rear. They are still checking it out...

Joe_Black
09/20/2006, 04:15 AM
That could be acouple things, depending on how severe the vibration is. Tires are a good place to start as it's easy and inexpensive to get them computer balanced and a reputable tire dealer. Often you can get a deal on lifetime balancing and rotation.

If it is indeed related to the propeller shaft the need for replacement is extremely rare unless the shaft itself has been damaged. If your tires check out okay, then the rear shaft would be the best place to start troubleshooting. You want to check your universal joints for play and make sure they're properly lubricated. There's also grease zerk at the spline coupling that needs to regularly lubricated as well. Also, driveshafts can be balanced. So if you simply can't find an obvious problem go to a reputable driveshaft shop and look into getting the shaft balanced which is simple and far less expensive than replacement.

AU92
09/20/2006, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the info. The tires were just balanced, but I will look at the u-joints.

Joe_Black
09/20/2006, 05:20 AM
Don't overlook the tires because they were just done. The shop could have done them improperly, a balancing weight may have shifted or even slung off. Have them re-check the balance as you don't want to leave any possibility unexplored, and the tires are the easiest to verify.

wolverinevx
09/23/2006, 10:52 AM
google pams parts inc or pams auto part they usually have a vx around have a 99 right now that has a lot of pts
good luck

V12BMW
10/03/2006, 01:41 AM
I too am experiencing the same thing. it shows up very very little around 50 mph then not again till 82mph threw 85mph, but from 85-90 it quiets down but then from 90-94mph it comes back again? I've had this problem for 30000 miles now it has never gotten worse but i'm sick of it. Any more suggestions joe?

Hotsauce
10/03/2006, 02:17 AM
I am chasing the same speed sensitive vibration. I feel it through my feet and not as feedback in the steering wheel.

I know its not tires in my case because I have 2 sets of rims/tires. both have been checked for balance and the rims are straight. I'm also sure its not belt shift.

So far I have replaced the front wheel bearings and seen no change. It feels like its cv joint shaking, but with the wheel jacked up I can't find slop in the joint.

My next step will be to put the truck on 4 jackstands and run it. Hopefully I can see whats shaking.

John C.

Joe_Black
10/03/2006, 04:12 AM
My next step will be to put the truck on 4 jackstands and run it. Hopefully I can see whats shaking.
See if you can put it on a lift at a shop rather than the jackstands, that's a sure fire way to get into the next Darwin Award list. ;)

Also, with the suspension dropped to full extension without any load you're radically changing "driving" conditions which may be causing the vibration.

Take some time and a flashlight to visually inspect both driveshafts for damage or the tell-tale sign of missing balance weights. Do the same for your wheels inside and out, and even look at the brake rotors.

V12BMW
10/03/2006, 11:43 AM
well I checked the driveshafts and what I think is the u-joint (long u shaped shaft, above the ear axel running the width of the car?) The rear driveshaft is solid as a rock, I was yanking on it, and no give. However, the front shaft will wobble a little bit with just minemal effort. I'm guessing around 1, maybe 2/16 of slop. Is this this the coulpret? Can I clean that slop up myself? Where do I go from here? thanks tom

V12BMW
10/10/2006, 07:54 PM
if anyone has some imput on where I should go from here I would greatly appreciate it

ZEUS
10/10/2006, 08:37 PM
The u-joints are mounted at the ends of the driveshafts - they are the "joints" that connect the driveshafts to the axles and the transfer case. They are small (4" crosses) - if your front driveshaft is wobbling then you quite possibly do have a bad u-joint or two in that shaft. Those u-joints would need to be removed and tossed so some new ones can be installed. If the vibration hasn't gotten worse in 30,000 miles though I would say you have another issue. Don't know what, however.

I think what you described, "long u shaped shaft, above the ear axel running the width of the car" sounds like the rear anti-sway bar - I don't know what else it could be off-hand... but if you misidentified an anti-sway bar as a u-joint you might want to have someone else work on the problem for you... no offense. ;)

V12BMW
10/10/2006, 09:22 PM
no offense taken, lol yea that was the sway arm. how much do ujoints run? two fronts and how long does the process take to swap em out? also, should there be some slop in that shaft? help

ZEUS
10/11/2006, 01:13 PM
I have never bought a u-joint for the VX but for a Jeep the range from like $8 to $20 or so. I haven't checked our driveshafts to see how the u-joints are secured yet. Some vehicles have them pressed in, some use u-bolts, some use straps and bolts. It should be a fairly quick procedure on any type - less than an hour to fit new joints to each shaft... at least in my experience. I have done minimal work to my VX thus far. After this weekend though I might have some better answers!

Oh, the slop you speak of... I would say there shouldn't be any slop - but again, I haven't worked on mine much and it may be typical. Hope I helped.

tngerman2000
10/12/2006, 11:37 AM
both were around 175.00 yes 175.00 probably the most expensive u joints on the planet. bought through St Charles(Merlin) saved 10% compared to my local dealer

tngerman2000
10/12/2006, 11:41 AM
175 through st charles for 2 very expensive part

ZEUS
10/12/2006, 12:03 PM
WOW!!! :eek: That's sick - I think I know a place to find them a little cheaper: http://www.isuzuparts.com/partscat.html

I have bought a fuel injector from them before and it was very reasonable and a factory quality part.

Joe_Black
10/12/2006, 12:05 PM
175 through st charles for 2 very expensive part
Wow, that's rich. I got a genuine OEM pair recently for something like $50 each IIRC. Just checked Autozone.com and they list for $10.99 each.

V12BMW
10/12/2006, 01:16 PM
but do you guys think that cleaning up that slop in the shaft might solve my vibration problem? do I even need to replace the u-joints to clean up the slop in the shaft? any info would help

Joe_Black
10/12/2006, 05:48 PM
That's tough to say. I've personally not had any experience caused by vibration from worn u-joints, it's usually been from driveshaft damage or a balancing weight getting knocked off. If your mileage is up there and the zerks on the driveline haven't been greased regularly then it's a small price to pay for knowing they're new and you'll maintain them going forward. And if you still have the vibration then that part is eliminated.

One thought: Have you gone down the length of the driveshaft from u-joint to u-joint and given it a good visual inspection?