PDA

View Full Version : info on replacement for dreaded cd player

byrona64
09/14/2006, 04:46 PM
can't find the article for replacing the dreaded cd player with one that plugs in without modifications, anyone remember or have made notes on the original story would appreciate knowing the make and model numbers in report. thanks, ba

Joe_Black
09/14/2006, 05:07 PM
Most folk upgrade to an aftermarket head unit and then replace the cd changer with a storage cubby. There is a single-disc that can replace the changer in the slot made by USA Spec (http://www.usaspec.com/cdchangers.html) that plugs into the stock harness and is controlled by the OEM head unit. Circuit City and Crutchfield carry them, and they can also be found on eBay.

http://www.usaspec.com/images/single_slot_large.jpg

UtahVXer
09/15/2006, 02:08 AM
Mine is getting more and more temperamental.
Does it play mp3s?
Didn't see Vehicross in the application guide, so it must be the same as Amigo/Rodeo/Trooper?

creeg
09/15/2006, 08:52 AM
My vote is to just get rid of the CD player, and get the Crutchfield Ipod adapter in its place (or some other MP3 player adaptor).

Just my 2 cents.

Joe_Black
09/15/2006, 09:01 AM
Yup, I upgraded my system to an good MP3 compatible AM/FM/CD with an input for the Sirius tuner and replaced the changer with the storage cubby. An average CD will hold a gajillion MP3 files which blows away any changer, except MP3 changers! :p

kpaske
09/15/2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I'd say if you want a changer, make sure it supports MP3's. Six MP3 packed CD's is a LOT of music! ;Db;

I personally didn't bother - I replaced the failed CD changer (it failed within 30 days of purchase) with a cubby hole and replaced my head unit with a nice aftermarket MP3/CD player. Aftermarket electronics are MUCH better than Isuzu's stock junk, IMO (and my new VW isn't much better). I try to avoid 6 disk changers that fit into a single DIN opening like the one that comes with our VX because they tend to break and get jammed more often than larger, trunk mounted units.