PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

JHarris1385
09/14/2006, 11:32 AM
Just bought my vx but had to leave 2 of the 4 extra tires at the sellers house. They are the 18's i would have drove them all home (7hours away) but they would not fit in the vx. Question is: How would I ship them to me. Of course I know how but figuring someone on here has done this before would be able to give me a heads up on the best way to do this? Any certain compnay better/cheaper than others? What would be the packaging? Box? Pallet?

Any suggestions? Also, what is easiest for the seller to do, as in whats the easiest way for him to ship them to me?

Thanks
John

tomdietrying
09/14/2006, 11:45 AM
I think the cheapest way to ship is by bus. Check with Greyhound and where their drop off points are. You will be surprised at the number of drop locations they have.
Peace.
Tom

JHarris1385
09/14/2006, 11:48 AM
You CAN ship greyhound? How reliable is that never heard of it.

rowhard
09/14/2006, 02:27 PM
it's fine if going from point A to point B, but if you throw in a C watch out. When I retired from the Air Force, I though I would see a little of my own country since I spent 2/3 of my career overseas, 3 trips, bags were lost twice. Don't even think the airlines are that bad.

JHarris1385
09/14/2006, 02:40 PM
I DO NOT want to ship greyhound............What have you all used to ship tires. ONly two need to shipped but still total 125lbs .........what is the best method

Zorak
09/14/2006, 02:55 PM
Hmmm, where did I see this...and recently, too. O yeh, here:

QUOTE=Tone]Probably no more than $150 a wheel (for 18" CHROME - 16" black steel rims can be gotten for $35ea new) and tires are usually just thrown in. But at least they are easy to ship - cut a round piece of cardboard to protect the front (and back if you want to be extra careful) and then wrap them with clear plastic wrap like they wrap palletized shipments (avail at Home Depot). Go to FedEx.com and open a free account, send them FedEx Ground, print the lables, stick them to the plastic and roll them into a FedEx station. Cost is usually about $20 a wheel/tire.[/QUOTE]

JHarris1385
09/14/2006, 03:21 PM
Yes I read that too but that would mean this seller would have to go to Home depot get supplies roll them to a fed ex and then ship. Just wondering if there was an easier way to ship them?

Joe_Black
09/14/2006, 05:11 PM
FYI, if you fold the rear seat up you can get a full set of tires in the back. I've hauled a full set of 30X9.50 Yokohamas along with a 12X12 canopy, scuba tank and hose for air tools, jacks, jackstands, tools, tent, sleeping bag and camping supplies with no problem all inside the VX.

tomdietrying
09/14/2006, 05:35 PM
Come on jharris sounds like you want someone to load them up for you and deliver them to your door for free. :p Good Luck :p
Peace.
Tom

JHarris1385
09/14/2006, 06:54 PM
For free? No one ever mentioned that. I am willing to pay for convience of the seller. Simply asking what is the easiest way to ship tires, with convience in mind. I would rather not ask the seller to 1. Go to Home Depot get needed supplies 2. Make a Fedex account, print label 3. Roll tires into fedex ground store ready for shipment. Furthermore, trying to seek advice if it is possible to skip some of those steps at a cost and what that cost would be. As in is it possible, (considering I have never done this before) for the seller to take the two tires/wheels to a ups,usps,fedex store and they do the rest at a cost I am WILLING to pay for simply for the convience of the seller. I would drive up there to get the remaining tires but considering it is 7 hours away it is uneconomical to do so and thus cheaper to ship. Also, I would have put all tires in the back of the vx with the back seat all the way up but becuase of the system that is in it it would not allow for such room for 4 tires.

WILLY
09/15/2006, 01:37 AM
WHAT A BIG HASSLE IT SOUNDS LIKE.I WOULD JUST FORGET ABOUT EM AND MOVE ON. :eek:

WILLY
09/15/2006, 01:38 AM
R They Just Tires Or Wheels And Tires?

JHarris1385
09/15/2006, 08:45 AM
Both. Its not that big of a deal I just would like them of course. I dont understand the deal that others have made out of it. I am just simply asking since i have not done this before if there is the option with a price to pay, that the seller could just take them to a shipping store and they take care of it from there? WOW had no idea it would turn into this.

kpaske
09/15/2006, 10:50 AM
If you know the origin zip code, destination zip code, weight, and approximate package size/shape, you can go right to the FedEx, USPS, and UPS web sites and get an estimate. You will quickly decide whether shipping them is a viable option for you based on the prices you see here.

If you really want to make it easy on the seller, your next step would be to start calling packing and shipping stores like "The UPS Store" or "Kinkos" and getting quotes for packaging, but I have a feeling that this is not a cheap service.

JHarris1385
09/15/2006, 11:27 AM
Thank you I appreciate your help. I have been doing this already and suprised at the rate....

johnnyapollo
09/15/2006, 02:18 PM
If there's a drop off store near the source (like a UPS Store, etc), they'll wrap them up for you and ship. It's a lot easier and the seller won't have to go out of his way to buy the shipping materials.

-- John

JHarris1385
09/15/2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks man that was the exact answer I was looking for. Took a while to get there but it did......I figured you could do this but since i have never personally done it before, I would have hated if the seller went there on my terms and was faced with something I was not aware of and didnt warn him about. I appreciate you help. Looking forward to getting the stock rims and dulers (which by the way have not seen but a days worth of pavement.) The guy bought rims the next day and put them on it and only put about 2,000 miles on the yokh's that the vx came with.

Once again thanks for clarifing that....