PDA

View Full Version : how to boost horsepower

Randy Floyd
04/26/2003, 05:42 PM
I just recently bought an '01. I am looking for a cold air induction kit, exhaust system or chip reprogram to boost hp. I have searched the internet, but haven't been able to find anything. I don't have the money or knowledge to go the supercharger route. Does anyone have information or other ideas?

IsuZOOM
04/26/2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Randy Floyd
I just recently bought an '01. I am looking for a cold air induction kit, exhaust system or chip reprogram to boost hp. I have searched the internet, but haven't been able to find anything. I don't have the money or knowledge to go the supercharger route. Does anyone have information or other ideas?

For air flow: There are K+N drop-in filters, but that's not sounding extreme enough for you I'd bet :) People also do an elbow removal - http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/001931.html
http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/003522.html
Others have added universal air filter kits, and some have created a home-grown cold-air system - http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=156&highlight=cold+air

Exhaust: Check out The PowerVault muffler - http://www.tonemonday.com/accessories.htm

Chip: I don't know. I know Superchips has stopped making anything but Domestic (except for Mazda).

SPAZZ
04/26/2003, 08:12 PM
We do have an ecu upgrade available for your application. The ecu upgrade does
require that the factory ecu be sent to us for modification. You must purchase
the upgrade package before sending the ecu to us for
the modification. Suggested retail is $299.00, and the part number is 65001. The
ecu upgrades are all done per the application, in other words, do all the
modifications you intend on doing before you get the ecu upgraded. That way the
program can be set up for the specific modifications.Hp gains would be dependant
on the extent of modifications.

www.powerbyjet.com

Hotsauce
04/26/2003, 08:41 PM
Jet is on the 'Do Not Do Business With' list for Mitsubishi. ECU dump of before and after reveals that there is NO MODICICATION performed, only 'sticker tuned'

John C.

Zu4two
04/26/2003, 09:52 PM
Welcome Randy Floyd!

It's good to see another VX owner from Scottsdale!

I wouldn't recommend the Jet reprogram. I recall someone had it done and after being without a truck for several days, since you have to send them the whole computer, the modification yeilded no noticeable increase in performance.

I would recommend the Powervault muffler. It actually has documented HP increases. No one has yet to make a header that betters the stock exhaust manifold.

On the intake side, you've got the K&N drop in, or a cone filter replacement by Calmini. I also think Weapon R makes an intake and filter kit. No commercial cold air intakes, as far as I know. Of course there is also the ultimate intake mod, The Alpine supercharger. This is good for an increase of about 45 horsepower, all for only $3K!

Good luck and great choice for a truck! I hope to see you driving around sometime. Of course don't pull up beside me and challenge me... I do have the S/C ;eekr;

Kirk

xdfarrx
04/29/2003, 10:05 PM
I have looked for a cold air box...Grandpa Bob turned me onto this wizard type out in Carson City Nevada. His name is Guy Light and he does custom fabbing and I pretty much was blown away with his skills. I am getting one done next week. He just built a brand new Acura RSX for some guy spec'd for production class SCCA rally, rim of the world rally this week. 70000$ worth of offroad weaponry. Guy is good- I'll ask him if he would be interested in producing a few more off the spec of mine. Some insight- he said using the stock aperture on the side was inefficient, as the vortex from the wheel spin actually would draw air out/away from the box, so he suggested having the air box aperture come from the front grill (ala rally style)taking advantage of the air pressure into the radiator- fyi...

paultvx
05/14/2003, 12:47 AM
From the radiator? along with the heat? Hmmmm...

SGT.BATGUANO
05/14/2003, 07:57 PM
I think he means the area in front of the rad. Which, if I'm not mistaken, reqiures a hole to be made.

Navigator
05/14/2003, 08:42 PM
The K&N drop in filter will give your VX more pep for less that $50. A noticeable improovement from stock. From their your options get considerably more expensive. Go for the SC if you have cash to spare it is the ultimate.

Navigator
05/14/2003, 08:45 PM
Also stay on top of your fluid and filter changes, and keep your tires properly inflated.

Dallas4u
05/15/2003, 03:23 AM
PV muffler.

VX-KING
05/15/2003, 05:24 AM
PV Muffler Dual Exhaust Bosh P.4 Sprak Plugs HOT SHOT INTAKE
SuperCharger Nos Stage 5

These are the things that i have inside my VX and could help you guy's with horsepower and speed

xdfarrx
05/15/2003, 11:56 AM
In reference to the cold air box and the hole by the radiator- It was suggested that the vortex created at the front of the car, can be beneficial for cold air intake(rally car type) and work like a ram- the spot is actually on the right of the radiator, so no hot air. Again I guess the wheel spin creates a vacuum effect thus influencing air flow where the stock set up is- just what I was told by a guy who did Granpa Bob's stuff and I was very impressed with his knowledge and skills, he also build pro rally cars which I saw him working on that made me value what he was spittin-

Inaba
05/15/2003, 12:13 PM
Any ability to get more of those cold air boxes? I'd be interested in one if they aren't too terribly expensive.

xdfarrx
05/15/2003, 07:23 PM
Unfortunately it is all custom work- Spec'ing them isn't done- I am in so cal now so I am looking for another fab guy down here- If I do I will see if I can get you in the loop- My intake I built originally in a 3 inch diameter; and I just re did it to 3 and half inch, connector and plenum. Most imports do 3 inch and through my speed shop in Reno was able to find a silicon connector (3.5") to match the MAS size(really cool)- My guy was clear that a cold air intake would really promote performance...Tone apparently has cold air box(es) but for the supercharger configuration

chumone
05/16/2003, 09:04 AM
Will instaling the PV muffler void any warranties?

paultvx
05/16/2003, 01:42 PM
According to some dealers, using a different brand oil would void your warranty... which is a bunch of BS.

Whenever you modify, there's always a chance you can void your overall warranty policy. From the dealer's perspective that chance is near 100%. Technically, changing the muffler would only void any warranty claims you may have from then on regarding the exhaust system. Common sense.

Manufacturers and dealers can not blame a modification is the cause of any other problems unless they can prove it. The burden of proof is on them.

Check with www.sema.org for details.

Bottomline, it's up to you to mod. If you're uncomfortable with warranty issues... then don't.