PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel Bearing Re-Pack

nfpgasmask
09/12/2006, 07:12 AM
OK, so, I am at 30k and about to take the VX on a 2000 mile drive.

Let's talk about the front wheel bearing repack. I have heard many mixed opinions about doing this service.

Please, help me out with some pros and cons. The questions I have so far:

1) How important is it in general to do this?

2) How hard is it to do for a mechanic? I am taking my truck in to have this sevice done, so I want to know what the potential is for a mech to mess it up and make them worse. Is it a straight forward thing to do if you have the experience and the proper tools?

3) If I do go ahead and have it done, what is the BEST product to lube the bearing with?

Any other info would be helpful. Thanks everyone.

Bart

kpaske
09/12/2006, 07:25 AM
1) Very important. Bearings that aren't properly lubricated will heat up to very high temperatures, potentially causing damage to your hub, rotor, and axle.

2) It's not that hard. Any qualified mechanic SHOULD be able to do this without messing anything up. Always take your VX to someone you know and trust if you're not doing the service yourself.

3) Any high-temp grease will work fine.

WormGod
09/12/2006, 07:53 AM
40k on mine, never had em done. Been in 2 times for solid checkups, and both times was told there was no need. That song and dance about "they are packed, sealed bearings.... you are fine. no need to really do anything until about 80k or until you sense a problem", hahaha. Considering i put about 60 miles on my VX a month now, I am in no hurry to do it. Repacked bearings on my own well near 500 times, so I think I am quite qualified to do them on my own one day anyways. That is, if my yuppie-wannabe-deskjob-computergeek-dontwannagetmyhandsdirtyanymore-self can muster up the willpower, hahahaha.

When you get the bearings packed, post the cost. Prices tend to vary quite a bit from shop to shop. Interesting seeing where many shops stand on that.

Tone
09/12/2006, 09:04 AM
Wow, 40K and you've never repacked the front bearings? Ouch, grease is way cheaper than new spindles and bearings if you wait until you hear it. I'd rather do preventative maintenance instead of more expensive repairs. Even if there is sufficient grease in there, the will need to be tightened due to wear. And it is not uncommon to find water in there is you have made in deep crossings.

The backs ARE sealed and do not need to be services as they are lubricated by the diff fluid.

nfpgasmask
09/12/2006, 09:08 AM
Tone, I just rolled over 30k, and I have only had this truck since May, so...

Thanks for the info. I will get this done for sure.

Bart

Wow, 40K and you've never repacked the front bearings? Ouch, grease is way cheaper than new spindles and bearings if you wait until you hear it. I'd rather do preventative maintenance instead of more expensive repairs. Even if there is sufficient grease in there, the will need to be tightened due to wear. And it is not uncommon to find water in there is you have made in deep crossings.

The backs ARE sealed and do not need to be services as they are lubricated by the diff fluid.

WormGod
09/13/2006, 07:05 AM
Wow, 40K and you've never repacked the front bearings?

Yep.... like I said, I never drive it and lack of willpower. Not even sure why I have it still. To top it all off, I "have been considering" selling it outright, but that is an internal debate. I would probably only sell it to someone on these boards if I did though.

But thats crazy talk.... I dont want to think about it.

LANINJA
09/19/2006, 12:03 PM
just repacked mine 5k ago myself, @105K miles on it.. they were never repacked every and the greese looked ok.. no wear on the bearing Race.. i think they could of gone longer, it was rather ez if u have the correct tools Impacket phillips is a must...

SkidPlate
09/19/2006, 12:26 PM
Just had mine done a month ago at 70K mi. The definatley needed it, things were pretty loose, I could jack it up and move the tire, steering was less responsive too. The extra wide 285/55-18's I'm running probably didn't help matters.

I took it to a local service shop and the only charged $50 for labor and parts (grease)

I noticed an improvement, and I think I'll downsize the tires a little next year 265/60-18's perhaps.

dkmiller68
09/19/2006, 04:11 PM
I had mine done at 40k (repacked and new seals). I was thinking that I needed to address them again as I now have 80k. I procrastinated and last week when 600 miles from home I started getting intermittant bearing noise and slight pulling to one side. I found a place open on Saturday and located the parts and had the work done. Noise and pulling went away. This maintenance task is very important.

VR4-Quest
09/22/2006, 05:55 AM
How do you tighten the bearings / adjust them? I believe this might be the more critical step as long as there is adequete grease in there. Is there a step by step procedure out there somewhere, I would like to do thise if it helps with steering a bit and removing some slop from the front end, cause I can hit my front tires when jacked up and can hear some play, and have been trying to figure out where its coming from, this might be it!!!

Ldub
09/22/2006, 06:27 AM
Which axis are you getting the play in ?, up & down, or side to side ?

Up & down is usually bearing slop, side to side may be tie rod ends.

Also, search steering adjustment. There was a write up a while back on adjusting the slop out of the power steering.

WormGod
09/25/2006, 06:58 AM
Curious since I am thinking of doing this before the peak of winter....

What, if any, sort of goodies should be done to the rear? I admit, I have been neglecting the VX since I got the WRX, but I retired the WRX for the weekend and took the VX out for the whole beautiful weekend. She is driving great, but the front pull is making the ride more of a fight now, and its time to do the bearings, new tires, alignment, and whatever may need to be done to the rear at around 40k miles. Sorry, I am simply too lazy to look in the manual, and to be honest, I trust you all more than the manual, heh.

Ldub
09/25/2006, 09:51 AM
All the rear should need is a fluid change as the rear bearings are lubricated by diff. fluid.
Don't forget the LSD. :disturbed