PDA

View Full Version : Why do my wipers suck so bad?

nfpgasmask
09/11/2006, 07:52 AM
When I bought my '01 VX last May, the Bosch wipers chattered a lot. So, I figured they were just old and needed replacing. So, I went out and bought some new Rain-X brand blades. I also regularly Rain-X my windsheild.

Still, the wipers chatter. It annoys me. Is there anything I can do? Adjust tension, speed, angle? New wiper motor??

Anyone else out there with chattering blades?

Thanks -Bart

Joe_Black
09/11/2006, 08:06 AM
I've never been a fan of the Rain-X coating but tried the Rain-X wipers recently and have been very impressed with them. They've worked very well in the heavy Florida deluge on the VX and two of our Mercedes diesels.

I have heard of "chattering" issues from the Rain-X coating (one reason I've stayed clear or it) so maybe try removing it and see what happens. It's easy enough to re-apply if not the issue.

goffaramma
09/11/2006, 08:15 AM
I've had the chattering as well. I've changed blades many times, but after a short while they always seem to chatter somewhat. I've never done anything about it, but it could just be due to their size and weight.

I'm no help, but I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one...

Joe_Black
09/11/2006, 08:24 AM
Okay, sorry but just remembered that persistent wiper chattering can be caused by blade-to-windshield angle which is pretty straightforward to correct. You'll need an adjustable wrench long enough to provide torque to twist the end of the wiper arm (about 6") and another to support and hold the end of the wiper arm where it emerges from the base. Slide the wrench at the end closest to the wiper blade over the arm and adjust to the thickness of the arm. Do the same for the other wrench at the base. Simply twist the arm at the wiper end slightly to change the angle of the blade to the glass. If the blade is chattering on the up-stroke, make a slight change to angle the wiper edge down. Experiment with small changes to get the best results.

JHarris1385
09/11/2006, 08:27 AM
The chattering is due to the rain X on your windsheild. Rain X forms a small layer of silicone and the chattering is caused by the wipers skipping on that. I have had the same problem with a number of cars after putting rain-x. I honestly never use my wipers unless im dirving under 30.

nfpgasmask
09/11/2006, 08:30 AM
Cool, I'll try that. I honestly do not think it is the Rain-X because I only started using it on my VX about a 2-3 months ago, and my wipers have been chattering since I bought it.

I did take the wiper arms off and gave them a coat of paint not to long ago, so maybe I do need to fiddle around with the angle some.

Thanks,

Bart

Okay, sorry but just remembered that persistent wiper chattering can be caused by blade-to-windshield angle which is pretty straightforward to correct. You'll need an adjustable wrench long enough to provide torque to twist the end of the wiper arm (about 6") and another to support and hold the end of the wiper arm where it emerges from the base. Slide the wrench at the end closest to the wiper blade over the arm and adjust to the thickness of the arm. Do the same for the other wrench at the base. Simply twist the arm at the wiper end slightly to change the angle of the blade to the glass. If the blade is chattering on the up-stroke, make a slight change to angle the wiper edge down. Experiment with small changes to get the best results.

rowhard
09/11/2006, 08:31 AM
Have you ever squeegee a floor and the blade chattered, but as soon as you changed the angle of the handle it works right. Same thing with the windshield wiper blade. The blade has to squeegee, not push the water off. You have to twist the wiper blade so that it is at a right angle to the glass. Running the car thru car washes is usually what causes this.

nfpgasmask
09/11/2006, 08:32 AM
Hmmm, well, I guess I could try cleaning my windsheild and not Rain-Xing for a while. Maybe the dealer used some when they got it detailed before I bought it.

I really like Rain-X however, but the chattering is worse.

Bart

The chattering is due to the rain X on your windsheild. Rain X forms a small layer of silicone and the chattering is caused by the wipers skipping on that. I have had the same problem with a number of cars after putting rain-x. I honestly never use my wipers unless im dirving under 30.

psychos2
09/11/2006, 08:42 AM
I use the rain x brand washer fluid and do not have a problem with chattering. It is much easier to apply and has the same effect. I have also found that the michelin brand wiper blades work better than any others I have tried. Incuding the rain x brand blades. shawn