PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices = $2.34?

LittleBeast
09/10/2006, 09:42 AM
I just filled up last night for $2.34 a gallon in Houston, and I was wondering if anyone else is finding gas this cheap right now? What are the prices out there that everyone is finding?

Ldub
09/10/2006, 10:15 AM
Same here in Fargo...$2.34.9 :)

JHarris1385
09/10/2006, 10:19 AM
2.39 here in southern IN, across the bridge from Louisville, KY

Ruflyf
09/10/2006, 10:20 AM
2.49 in Biloxi, MS

nfpgasmask
09/10/2006, 10:22 AM
I paid $2.55 in the middle of Illinois last weekend, and just now I paid $3.29 (for Premium) in the city (Chicago). A month ago regular was $3.59 in the suburbs here...

Bart

Anita
09/10/2006, 11:04 AM
Prices just dipped under $3 in my part of town. :_mecker:

Joe_Black
09/10/2006, 01:21 PM
Cheap now? Yeah, then next time it'll peg around $3.10 to $3.20 a gallon and everyone will think $2.69 is cheap. After that the spike will be maybe around $3.50 and back down to say $2.75 and all will be happy again. See the trend?

Never in the history of the reciprocating engine have we ever needed fossil fuels. They weren't even designed for it! :mad:

Okay, okay... stepping away from the soap box... :p

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/10/2006, 01:52 PM
Cheap now? Yeah, then next time it'll peg around $3.10 to $3.20 a gallon and everyone will think $2.69 is cheap. After that the spike will be maybe around $3.50 and back down to say $2.75 and all will be happy again. See the trend?

I've been preaching this logic to friends & family and nobody seems to agree with this notion; I even went so far as to predict to the penny where gas would fall last year to some buddies at work...thought Katrina would throw a monkey wrench in my prediction but low and behold after the refineries were back up to speed I hit it right on the head..even had people email me asking "how did you know?"

I'm predicting a rock-bottom low of $2.199 in my parts before it begins marching back up to $3.099-$3.199 by next summer.

kiss under $2.00 a gallon days goodbye!

Icekold
09/10/2006, 02:38 PM
My take on these new "low" gas prices? One word: elections.
These lower gas prices are directly related to the fact that alot of these politicians that are in the pocket of the big oil companies are about to be voted out by fed up voters. I think this is a last ditch effort and attempt at brainwashing us into forgiving these crooks and preserving the friends they have on Capitol Hill. I for one ain't falling for it.

ScottinMA
09/10/2006, 03:58 PM
Cape Cod, MA - $2.95/gal

Y33TREKker
09/10/2006, 04:16 PM
My take on these new "low" gas prices? One word: elections.
These lower gas prices are directly related to the fact that alot of these politicians that are in the pocket of the big oil companies are about to be voted out by fed up voters. I think this is a last ditch effort and attempt at brainwashing us into forgiving these crooks and preserving the friends they have on Capitol Hill. I for one ain't falling for it.

I'll 2nd that notion. Seems like an act of desperation if they're willing to forego that kind of $$$. Of course, in the long-run comparatively, it'd probably just be a drop in the bucket....or barrel as the case may be.

goalieguy1
09/10/2006, 04:56 PM
paid 2.83 the other day here in Central Cali

tbigity
09/10/2006, 05:06 PM
Viva la tulsa...Home of the cheapest gas prices in the nation. $2.27 :p

MZ-N10
09/10/2006, 05:35 PM
3.03 by me....

JAFO
09/10/2006, 08:26 PM
Best price I've saw here in Oregon yesterday is $2.83 and I drove through 7 cities yesterday.

Side note: I would like to recommend the following podcast: "WICN's This new car". It is a 13 week (13 episode) special edition of the Business Beat. A roundtable discussion on hybrid vehicles and alternative fuel technologies. With the dependence on high-priced fuel and ecological concerns, this show comes at the perfect time to educate consumers. What's worth it and what's not.

http://www.wicn.org/programs/thisnewcar.htm

Available at the iTunes Music Store for free.

Have you heard that the price of gas in the U.S. is cheap compared to the International rate of $5 to $6 a gallon?

Have you heard that the U.S. government is considering emposing a $2 to $3 per gallon tax on the gas we buy? This is an effort to raise our awareness of our dependancies on oil, generate revenue for improving mass transit, and to get us to drive less, which will improve our air quality.

Maugan_VX
09/11/2006, 06:53 AM
Have you heard that the U.S. government is considering emposing a $2 to $3 per gallon tax on the gas we buy? This is an effort to raise our awareness of our dependancies on oil, generate revenue for improving mass transit, and to get us to drive less, which will improve our air quality.

...And to drive our economy into the worst possible state of existence.

JHarris1385
09/11/2006, 07:51 AM
New LOW beat this $2.25 Southern IN

Joe_Black
09/11/2006, 08:30 AM
Have you heard that the price of gas in the U.S. is cheap compared to the International rate of $5 to $6 a gallon?

I find it hard to believe our government wants to do this, but personally would like to see gasoline nail $6 a gallon and do nothing but go up from there. The general American populace will never change a bad habit until forced to do so, and the recent increase in fuel consumption in spite of price hikes just proves it. Ramping up fuel prices to that level would be a significant wake-up call that something better has been around under our noses for a long time.

kobie
09/11/2006, 05:44 PM
$2.17 today in baytown, TX

thebear54
09/12/2006, 02:11 AM
SURE LET'S TAX THE HELL OUT OF THE LITTLE GUY SO WE CAN'T EVEN DRIVE ANYMORE........

SMART MOVE "UNCLE SAM"

I got news for all those idiot government boys....you are not going to change the American lifestyle by simply taxing people to death. The only thing that does is remove money from their pockets so they have less to keep the economy moving. Stagnant economy=less jobs=more welfare=NO economy!

John

kpaske
09/12/2006, 08:55 AM
I find it hard to believe our government wants to do this, but personally would like to see gasoline nail $6 a gallon and do nothing but go up from there. The general American populace will never change a bad habit until forced to do so, and the recent increase in fuel consumption in spite of price hikes just proves it. Ramping up fuel prices to that level would be a significant wake-up call that something better has been around under our noses for a long time.Don't you really wish that the American public would experience the wake up call WITHOUT having to artificially inflate fuel prices? And just what do you think the gub'ment is going to do with all that extra money? Put it into "alternative fuel research"? Yeah, with a loophole that classifies oil drilling in the Gulf and Alaska as "alternative fuels".

But frankly this won't ever happen as long as the oil cronies maintain control of the White House. They don't want people to stop using oil. Period. That's why G.W. likes to push Ethanol - the blends still require lots and lots of dirty, bloody oil.

JHarris1385
09/12/2006, 09:19 AM
I am all for drilling in Alaska.

kpaske
09/12/2006, 11:43 AM

It's better than relying on unstable foreign governments to supply a big chunk of our energy needs, but the long term solution is to adopt renewable resources and get off fossil fuels forever.

Joe_Black
09/12/2006, 12:00 PM
Well, BMW announced today that they'll be producing a hydrogen-powered 7-series in limited numbers with their goal of eventually being 100% hydrogen across the line. Should be interesting to watch a distribution network and an economy develop around the most plentiful thing in the universe.

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/12/2006, 01:22 PM

Trouble is...and somebody please correct me if I got this wrong...we already have oil in Alaska that we use something to the effect of 2% for ourselves and sell the rest to Japan and I believe possibly Germany too for a profit; while we buy a great portion from the middle-east for ourselves for a lesser amount. IF I got this right...it is the greed of our country that makes us dependent on foreign oil. "Buy for less and sell for more."

Well, BMW announced today that they'll be producing a hydrogen-powered 7-series in limited numbers with their goal of eventually being 100% hydrogen across the line. Should be interesting to watch a distribution network and an economy develop around the most plentiful thing in the universe.

As much as I would like to see us switch to a hydrogen economy....the program I watched on the history channel stated that in order to speed up the process of establishing the infrastructure and utilizing the refineries we already have...hydrogen could be produced using fossil fuels. :_wtf:

which means BP, EXXON, Chevron, etc...still would own our collective a$$e$.

Joe_Black
09/12/2006, 02:23 PM
As much as I would like to see us switch to a hydrogen economy....the program I watched on the history channel stated that in order to speed up the process of establishing the infrastructure and utilizing the refineries we already have...hydrogen could be produced using fossil fuels. :_wtf:

which means BP, EXXON, Chevron, etc...still would own our collective a$$e$.
Yup, that's one of hydrogen's dark secrets most of the greeny public doesn't realize.

tbigity
09/13/2006, 03:34 PM
Kobie, I hate you. We hit a new low today in T-Town...$2.23. You still beat me. :(

JAFO
09/13/2006, 09:39 PM
Ok, so it is 2006 and we now know that the Hindenburg disaster was caused by a build up of electricity in the fabric panels. And it was solely the flammability of the panels that cause the Hindenburg to ketch on fire.
http://www.brianlynchmd.com/HINDENBURG/hindenburg2.htm

Hydrogen is lighter than air. Hydrogen will accumulate if trapped under something. For example "This New Car" podcast says that if your garage ceiling accumulates as little as 3% hydrogen, then if it gets ignited by a spark, there would be enough energy to completely destroy the house and everyone inside.

"While some are concerned about hydrogen's explosiveness, Jacobson said another property of hydrogen?its lightness?may lessen this danger. He cited an example of two cars?one conventional, one hydrogen-powered?that were hit from behind. The car powered by an internal combustion engine became engulfed in flames when its gas tank was punctured. But when the hydrogen car's fuel cell was punctured, since hydrogen is 14 times lighter than air, the flames just shot straight up. The car was saved."
http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/july13/hydrogen-071305.html

I'm curious since hydrogen is lighter than air, if the hydrogen tank is in a sealed trunk which has weather stripping and seals to keep rain out, like a typical family car. If the tank leaks before it is caught on fire? Wouldn't the hydrogen accumulate in the truck, slowly leak out into the passenger compartment through the gaps between the seats?

Second, what would the risk be, as pertains to terrorism, if we had a hydrogen refueling and storage facility on every city corner, as we now have gas stations?

I'm generally curious I have not heard these topics discussed.

1CROSS
09/13/2006, 10:35 PM
What has to be done is that all these political boneheads need their expense accounts terminated for good.Let them pay for everything they want out of their own pocket just like the rest of us(gas,lunches,travel,lodging,protection,etc.).You would'nt see them driving their big limo's or flying in their jets with all the bodyguards following close by in those huge suburban's and excursions while staying at the most expensive places.That ought to be a honor to be elected into a polital office not just a free ride.A way to rape us taxpayers blind.Like my dad always says"It's CORRUPTION from the president all the way down the line".Is that the truth or not?

Joe_Black
09/14/2006, 06:12 AM
Ok, so it is 2006 and we now know that the Hindenburg disaster was caused by a build up of electricity in the fabric panels. And it was solely the flammability of the panels that cause the Hindenburg to ketch on fire.
http://www.brianlynchmd.com/HINDENBURG/hindenburg2.htm

Hydrogen is lighter than air. Hydrogen will accumulate if trapped under something. For example "This New Car" podcast says that if your garage ceiling accumulates as little as 3% hydrogen, then if it gets ignited by a spark, there would be enough energy to completely destroy the house and everyone inside.

"While some are concerned about hydrogen's explosiveness, Jacobson said another property of hydrogen?its lightness?may lessen this danger. He cited an example of two cars?one conventional, one hydrogen-powered?that were hit from behind. The car powered by an internal combustion engine became engulfed in flames when its gas tank was punctured. But when the hydrogen car's fuel cell was punctured, since hydrogen is 14 times lighter than air, the flames just shot straight up. The car was saved."
http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/july13/hydrogen-071305.html

I'm curious since hydrogen is lighter than air, if the hydrogen tank is in a sealed trunk which has weather stripping and seals to keep rain out, like a typical family car. If the tank leaks before it is caught on fire? Wouldn't the hydrogen accumulate in the truck, slowly leak out into the passenger compartment through the gaps between the seats?

Second, what would the risk be, as pertains to terrorism, if we had a hydrogen refueling and storage facility on every city corner, as we now have gas stations?

I'm generally curious I have not heard these topics discussed.
Hydrogen isn't nearly so dangerous in real-world use as many opponents will lead you to believe. Yes, if you can contain a given amount in a sealed space and ignite there could be disastrous results. But like any light gas it will disperse given any opportunity, meaning that if some leaks into your garage it will find it's way out quite easily. If some did accumulate and ignite you'd see a big "poof" of brief flame as it expanded and consumed itself. (Don't ask how I know this!) For an explosion to occur from any combustible material you have to have a significant volume contained with enough restriction to burst from it's own rapid expansion after ignition.

Hydrogen has many potential benefits as a fuel, but right now it's very energy-intensive to produce. As mentioned earlier in this thread it's often produced from petroleum and uses petroleum fueled energy to make. Very much an "upside down" alternative fuel at this point until some advances are made in mass production technology.

JAFO
09/14/2006, 12:15 PM
Kobie, I hate you. We hit a new low today in T-Town...$2.23. You still beat me. :(
The cheapest price here in McMinnville, OR is $2.89.9 for regular. That's only 66 cents more per gallon.

IndianaVX
09/14/2006, 05:31 PM
2.18............walmart.........martinsville, indiana

etlsport
09/14/2006, 10:26 PM
just filled up on $2.23 in harrisonburg, VA... i think my VX is happier when its running on gas that costs less than $3 a gallon :)

IndianaVX
09/17/2006, 11:21 AM
2.10 here

kpaske
09/18/2006, 07:50 AM
Yeah, the Pacific Northwest is still horrible for fuel supplies. Cheapest gas is about $2.69 and cheapest diesel is about $2.99. Not only do we get hit with the "foreign oil" supply issues, but local/national supply issues to boot.

Joe_Black
09/18/2006, 09:06 AM
There was an interesting story on NPR Morning Edition today (Listen Here (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6095946)) about dropping fuel prices and how it might keep some folk from otherwise seeking more fuel efficient vehicles now that it's back at $1.99 in some parts of the US. Sorry, if people like riding that rollercoaster then likely they've already had their minds (or lack of) made up for them about what to do. We're actively weaning ourselves off the pump and off the grid, plain and simple.

kpaske
09/18/2006, 12:37 PM
...it might keep some folk from otherwise seeking more fuel efficient vehicles...Might? I really don't think America as a whole has the will to change right now. It will take a much bigger crisis for most Americans to voluntarily change their excessive habits. I believe the current dip in prices has more to do with political agendas (i.e. Midterm Elections) than anything else.

We're actively weaning ourselves off the pump and off the grid, plain and simple.I believe this is the most intelligent choice for middle class citizens of this country in the current political climate. I too am attempting to do the same, both in my personal life and in the business I am building.

Oh, and prices are dropping FAST in the Pacific Northwest... Saturday (2 days ago) the lowest price for diesel was 2.99. I filled up today for 2.73.