PDA

View Full Version : cant believe this

pbkid
09/08/2006, 06:48 AM
i was at big city burrito yesterday when my friend and i were watching people fill up on gas....this female pulled up with a honda accord, body kit, new paint and so on....we then watched her fill her car up with diesel....
i couldnt help but to try and help her so i walked over to the gas station and told her that she was filling her car up with the wrong kind of gas, but she just told me that all of her friends use diesel and she has been doing it since she bought the car...i thought that this would crack the block or do some sort of damage, but apparently not... any ideas on how and why? and if it would cause damage?
pbkid

Maugan_VX
09/08/2006, 07:43 AM
did you see her drive off?

if so, then the motor prolly aint the same as your run-of-the-mill honda off the lot.

kpaske
09/08/2006, 07:46 AM
I'm pretty sure diesel won't ignite in a gas engine, or if it did it would run so poorly the vehicle wouldn't be drivable.

Are you sure she wasn't driving a VW? The Golf, Rabbit, Jetta, and Passat have all come in diesel models and have all sorts of crazy body kits and such available.

Mark Miller
09/08/2006, 07:57 AM
I thought the diesel nozel was larger to keep you from pumping it into your tank.

Bimati
09/08/2006, 09:17 AM
It would take a short novel to review the reasons that's a fishy situation....nozzle size, compression ignition versus spark ignition and associated forces involved, multi-use fuel engines...

You sure she wasn't just yankin your chain, knowing full well that it was a deisel compatible unit? :confused:

Bim

Joe_Black
09/08/2006, 10:25 AM
There are smaller pump nozzles for diesel and people regularly fuel mistakenly with diesel. Not only will the engine run exceedingly rough, engine oil formulated for gasoline can't control the soot produced by diesel and the exhaust will also clog the catalytic converter in short order.

ameetw
09/08/2006, 09:38 PM
i was at big city burrito yesterday when my friend and i were watching people fill up on gas....this female pulled up with a honda accord, body kit, new paint and so on....we then watched her fill her car up with diesel....
i couldnt help but to try and help her so i walked over to the gas station and told her that she was filling her car up with the wrong kind of gas, but she just told me that all of her friends use diesel and she has been doing it since she bought the car...i thought that this would crack the block or do some sort of damage, but apparently not... any ideas on how and why? and if it would cause damage?
pbkid

Most likely a turbo charged diesel engine transplant. In my part of the world it quite common, but usually not approved by the law.

Chopper
09/09/2006, 01:24 PM
Can't imagine anyone with a modded Honda swapping in a diesel engine.(ok...except Joe Black)Me thinks I smell a fish.

Joe_Black
09/09/2006, 06:04 PM
Can't imagine anyone with a modded Honda swapping in a diesel engine.(ok...except Joe Black)
Mmmmm... Honda diesel:

http://dieselpowermag.com/news/0601dp_02z+Honda_Diesel+Engine_Compartment.jpg

:p

transio
09/10/2006, 05:51 AM
i was at big city burrito yesterday when my friend and i were watching people fill up on gasLOL... :p Anyone else find it ironic that they were watching other people "fill up on gas" while they were "eating burritos"? :D:D:D

pbkid
09/10/2006, 10:43 AM
no no, im pretty big on my honda/acura stuff...i drive a 92 gs converted to a 97 GSR...i did all the work myself i know enough about hondas to know that it was a honda accord...older one, probably like a 94-97, and yes the nozzle doesnt fit in a gas car for that reason..but she was dripping it in there a little bit at a time...and yes she just drove off afterward with no problems...

Ldub
09/10/2006, 12:32 PM
Whitchcraft...stay clear ! :p

Chopper
09/11/2006, 03:34 PM
Remember back in the eighties, when GM pulled the heads off of 350 blocks and turned them into diesels?? An underground, midwest, kiddie kabal, doing wanton oil-burner conversions on 15 year old Hondas...I LOVE this country!! Ingenuity like this, is the reason America WILL reach the moon, by 2010!!

Spike
09/12/2006, 10:22 PM
Assuming it actually worked (which I doubt) ... Why would you want to? Diesel costs more than regular these days

(I still don't get that... it is closer to crude than gasoline)

... and if it isnt a diesel engine, wouldn't it be a safe bet that fuel economy would be worse?

kpaske
09/13/2006, 07:16 AM
Why would you want to? Diesel costs more than regular these days... and if it isnt a diesel engine, wouldn't it be a safe bet that fuel economy would be worse?Well, you may have answered your own question. The biggest reason *I* see to use diesel is for fuel economy. Let's see, i can get 15 miles @ 2.69 a gallon in my VX, or 45 miles @ 3.24 a gallon in my VW. You do the math. Would a conversion be worth it? I doubt it - I don't see how you are going to convert an ignition engine over to compression and get anywhere near the performance and efficiency of an engine that's doing what it was designed for. But an engine swap might work out nicely. ;Db;

tbigity
09/13/2006, 03:17 PM
Warning, Semi-Hijack ahead

I have to admit a personal blonde moment I had.

Used to drive a diesel.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/truck1.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/truck1.jpg)

One late...late evening I pulled over for some fuel. I was accustomed to zooming past the red handles and grabbing the pump handle that was different colored, usually green. I pulled up, noticed a blue one and went to it, started pumping. After about 3 minutes I noticed it had pumped only 5 or so gallons. I went in to complain to the attendant. He told me "well, our kerosene never pumps that fast."

:eek:

Ldub
09/13/2006, 04:56 PM
Remember back in the eighties, when GM pulled the heads off of 350 blocks and turned them into diesels?? An underground, midwest, kiddie kabal, doing wanton oil-burner conversions on 15 year old Hondas...I LOVE this country!! Ingenuity like this, is the reason America WILL reach the moon, by 2010!!

LMAO Chopper, you always brighten up my day with enlightenment! :p

NYVX
09/20/2006, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=Spike]Assuming it actually worked (which I doubt) ... Why would you want to? Diesel costs more than regular these days

(I still don't get that... it is closer to crude than gasoline)

Not 100% sure but think a lot of the price difference is in taxes... I believe diesel has more taxes than gas ,I know it has more taxes than home heating oil...that is why they dye it... big fine if caught running home heating oil in diesel trucks, been tempted though LOL over 3 bucks for diesel around here ...my heating oil is approx approx 50 cents less

Joe_Black
09/20/2006, 05:19 PM
There are some significant differences between diesel, kerosene and fuel oil. Most have to do with lubricity which is life or death to a diesel engine, and some to do with soot control that affects the combustion process.

As for the cost difference with gasoline, again many factors but ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) is the cause for the most recent disparity. Like lead in leaded gasoline provided lubrication for engine valves the sulphur in diesel is used to enhance overall lubrication. Remember, when Rudolph Diesel invented the "compression engine" it was designed to run on peanut oil. Vegetable oil has far better lubricity than petroleum products so the sulphur was added to create a fuel for the diesel engine, but now that same sulphur is a nasty source of pollution.

Keep in mind also that there's more energy in a given volume of diesel fuel than gasoline, hence the better mileage most diesel vehicles achieve. Right now my 4000 pound VX gets around 17MPG average from $2.34 a gallon gasoline, where my 4000 pound diesel Mercedes gets around 34MPG average from $2.89 a gallon diesel. Twice the mileage from a $.55 price difference? I'd buy that all day long! ;)

JAFO
09/20/2006, 05:51 PM
Mmmmm... Honda diesel:

http://dieselpowermag.com/news/0601dp_02z+Honda_Diesel+Engine_Compartment.jpg

:p

Video:
http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2003-4030226_1a/

This one was designed by Honda but previously they used Isuzu diesel engines.