PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plate Bummer

newthings
04/25/2003, 04:46 PM
I cannot recommend one of the three Trooper skid plates. The one called "Exhaust pipe protector"-
part #8-97018-375-3, list price $115.10, your cost $97.84.
This is the plate on the passenger side that shares the center and driver's side bolts on the cross member and attaches at two points on the frame. This plate protects the front driveshaft and the two transmission pans. The shape is unnecessarily low. A space of 5" results between the transmission pan and the plate. A large 3.5x8" access holes exist at the bottom which will snag anything you are scraping across. It becomes the lowest point of the underside. I waited 6 weeks for this and would suggest you make your own for better protection and clearance. I may modify this one, but it will not be pretty.
Roy

Moncha
04/25/2003, 05:36 PM
Oh Man,.. Now I feel bad since I'm the one that came up with the numbers...

How'd the other one fit?

Will they take it back?

newthings
04/25/2003, 06:01 PM
The other two plates are just right. This plate also 'fits', but hangs low. I decided to keep the plate as a template. I had to notch the outside rear bolt hole to miss a boulder bar gusset. So, I will be using three of the four bolts. In this photo, the big space is not obvious.
www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=391&highlight=skid+plate
The top photo may show the plate protecting a CAT. Something is in the photo that the VX does not have. the brownish reflective surface is the pan.
Roy

SoTxVx
04/25/2003, 07:28 PM
Sorry Guys,

I've got the bad feeling also. I'm the one who posted the pictures. The group on the top are when they were on the '93 trooper. I was just glad that they all bolted up to the VX. I should have gotten a better angle on the picture of them installed pm the VX. I didn't notice the decrease in clearance until now that you mention it.

My wife will be spanking me later if it's any consolation.

I promise to make it up.

John

Moncha
04/25/2003, 09:07 PM
Roy, can shoot some pics of what you got? I'd like to see and compare....

VX4EJR
04/25/2003, 09:09 PM
Isn't the part# actually 8-97018-375-2?

(from the first post above)

Moncha
04/25/2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by VX4EJR
Isn't the part# actually 8-97018-375-2?

(from the first post above)

Yes, it is... (Typo)

newthings
04/25/2003, 09:47 PM
I ordered a -2 and it came as a -3. It is probably a new revision.

Have a look at these pix. The plate in question is clearly below the cross member.
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b338aedca457

Roy

AnalogVX
04/25/2003, 10:35 PM
Yea, that's how mine is too. I knew that you always loose a little ground clearance when adding skid plates. I just thought that's just one of those things you have to deal with. And yea, it does hang up alot. Maybe time for a lift??;)

Moncha
04/26/2003, 06:42 AM
Hmmmm very interesting... The space doesn't look too bad... Could the space be used as a "Crush" value? Doesn't do any good if your plate pushes up into your part and causes damage anyway. Does the plate run enough of the centerline to hinder Tone's planned skidders? He has the running right down the middle to the cross member.

AnalogVX
04/26/2003, 08:58 AM
The pics do not do it justice. It's the first thing I notice underneath walking up to the VX. It hasn't caused me to be high centered, but it gets the most abuse on the trail. Actually it lets me know just exactly where I am in regards to clearance.

IsuZOOM
04/26/2003, 09:39 AM
Which skid plates would you consider to be most important?

Moncha
04/26/2003, 09:51 AM
out of them all IMO, the Transfer Case plate IS the most important.. The T-case is the lowest and most vunerable drive line part that extends below the frame save for the rear pumpkin.
Isuzu really didn't think that the "Yuppy" market that they were shooting for would need that kind of protection.. Little did they realize that there are a bunch of nuts out there that really "Use" this baby.

Swordy
04/26/2003, 11:16 PM
You can get away with just the transfer case skid plate. Your tranny pan is up high enough that under most circumstances it it pretty safe, however, the oilpan on the Vx is in a vulnerable position and really deserves some protection. I don't think there is anything commercially available to protect it other than Tones setup. If you do very much offroading it would be a very good investment to look into something like that. The only other thing that really could use some protection is the gas tank. The stock gastank skidplate just won't do. I've already thrashed mine. I just bought the materials to build a better one, but I don't know if I'll have time to finish it before Moab.

Oh yeah,, the reason for this post: Roy, please PM me your addy

Andy

Daver
06/12/2003, 04:10 PM
I received this plate today and yes, it does appear to take up too much of our ground-clearance. It looks like it could very easily be redesigned to fit 1-1.5" higher than it does.

If anything comes of using it as a template newthings, let me know. That idea also occurred to me as soon as I saw the fitment.

-Daver

Tone
06/12/2003, 04:29 PM
I’d opt for the reduced clearance rather than damaging the T-case. There is room above the plate so that if it bends, it does not crush into the case and alter the driveline alignment. Mine has taken it’s share of hits and bent in a couple of placed but I have not gotten stuck on it. Oil and tranny pans are in even more vulnerable positions.

SPAZZ
06/12/2003, 05:13 PM
Can someone tell me the part number for just the skid plate that runs from cross member, across exhaust to drivers rear frame?:confused: I can not seem to find this one in any junk yards.
Thanks

Daver
06/12/2003, 05:47 PM
I believe the one you are refering to is the "Protector: Frame"
8-97036-238-1. Of the three, that is the one that attaches to the frame on the driver's side and the crossmember.

-Daver

SPAZZ
06/12/2003, 06:11 PM
The transfer case skid plate runs from cross member to frame on passenger side...I have that one...I don't need the one that runs on passenger side forward...as I have Tone's Diamond Plate Skid Plate.... I need the one that runs on drivers side frame a little toward the rear and forward to cross member.
That is this one, right

If so, thanks!!!;Dp;

Daver
06/12/2003, 06:34 PM
Yeah, that one is 8-97036-238-1.

-Daver

AnalogVX
06/12/2003, 09:02 PM
I remember when my skid plates looked like that! :p

SPAZZ
06/12/2003, 10:28 PM
Honest, no lies but my Diamond Plate Skid Plate is the greatest thing to protect my VX's underbelly. Thanks to those who made it a reality