PDA

View Full Version : Mods

JHarris1385
09/05/2006, 03:42 PM
I just got my VX and I am wanting a few ideas and help for mods..

I would like to get a fairing
/Would the 32' thule or 38'' work best? And is this a benefecial mod?

I would also like to cat-back my exhaust
/Any suggestions?

Where do you get the windsheild VehiCROSS decal at?

How easy is the hatch door latch popper to install?

Where do i get the chorme mirror covers at?

Where do i get the rain deflectors at and whats the best brand?
/ I really like the Japanesse ones (the larger ones) are they still available?

Any other and all suggestions for mods are welcomed. I right now have 20's on them for the show stopping look. But also have the 18's. Mine is an IronMan for reference. I would most deffinatly love to get some great offroad tires for the trail (this is where i need the most suggestions, but plase try to help me else where too)

Thanks.
John

Corrosive
09/05/2006, 07:07 PM
The only question I can answer (because I am kinda new) is the one about the chrome mirrors. As far as I know they are covers, and they stopped production on them. I doubt anyone will part with theirs. Gl w/ the other questions.

I also want to know about cat-back

nfpgasmask
09/05/2006, 07:28 PM
I would buy rain guards from WeatherTech.com. These are not the same as the Japanese big ones, but they are REALLY nice and well worth the money.

Click my VX Madness link below to see my WeatherTech rainguards installed.

Bart

iamjacksadrenalgland
09/06/2006, 07:23 AM
i've got a 32" yakima wind fairing for sale. i decided to do hitch mount bike rack instead of roof mount, so i didn't do the roof fairing.

i payed $50 plus shipping, but i'll let it go for $40 shipped. you would still need to purchase mounts for the fairing. others have used horizontal 'mighty mounts' made by yakima for this application.

let me know if you're interested.

-james
LJamesDickinson@yahoo.com

kpaske
09/06/2006, 08:26 AM
Here' my input:

Wind Fairing: What do you plan to put behind it? If you plan to install a "basket" type rack, I believe most of them come with a fairing built-in. My Yakima Load Warrior does. Some people prefer the Thule rack, but I personally still like the Yakima rack better. They are very different looks, but functionally and quality-wise I think they are pretty much the same.

Cat-Back Exhaust: If I had it to do over again, I'd probably leave my exhaust stock, or get a Morgan-Tec exhaust for some chrome "bling". I've got a PV2, which adds a couple of horsepower but is obnoxiously loud. If you want HP, save up your money and get a supercharger.

Windshield Decal: I think they were selling these on eBay for a while, and I think another member had a batch made up at a decal shop as well. Search the forums...

Rear Door Popper: On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 5. Not for the mechanically challenged, but pretty easy if you're comfortable doing basic maintenance and repairs.

Chrome Mirror Covers: Yeah, I think these were a custom order somewhere. Do a search...

Rain Deflectors: I don't have them, but I've heard good reviews of the WeatherTech ones, and they're reasonably priced (about $50 or so). I may order some myself soon as the PNW winter is always so rainy... I believe you might be able to get the Japanese spec deflectors, but you'd need to find someone in Japan or someone who speaks/reads Japanese, and IIRC they were NOT cheap. Someone here on the site offerred to assist in ordering Japanese spec parts some time ago, and I would have bought them then had they been worth the price.

Offroad Tires: I think you first need to decide whether you are going to lift your VX, or if you want to keep the suspension stock. A stock suspension will limit your selection of offroad tires (and sizes) considerably.

JHarris1385
09/07/2006, 03:40 PM
Anybody got any more suggestions........?

I really want to lift this thing I just need an estimated price.

I also would like to swap out the driving light for something a little brither but still legal on the road........

shoot some suggestions at me.

etlsport
09/07/2006, 03:48 PM
i like the look of the westin safari bar you can order from tone, then you can mount some nice offroading lights on that instead of upgrading the running lights, also a nice quick upgrade for the running lights is putting in 18w malibu outdoor light bulbs in the housing instead of the stock bulbs, they make quite a bit of difference over stock, you can get a 4 pack of them for $5

2K1 1K2
09/07/2006, 03:58 PM
quick ? re: the 18w bulbs. has anyone run these for quite awhile without any melting/warping of the light lens?

thanks.

-jose

etlsport
09/07/2006, 04:33 PM
ive had mine in since early march, havent noticed any problems, and i dont drive w/o my headlights on, so ive run them up to 7 hours at a time

2K1 1K2
09/07/2006, 04:46 PM
thanks, etlsport.

-jose

JHarris1385
09/07/2006, 05:20 PM
And where can you get these bulbs?

etlsport
09/07/2006, 05:36 PM
i got mine at home depot in the outdoor lighting section, friend of mine found the same bulbs at a true value hardware

http://www.usalight.com/product.php?productid=551&cat=170&page=1

Ldub
09/07/2006, 06:16 PM
I don't know about the 18 w Malibu's as I replaced my lights with PIAA halogen fog lights & think the Hella micro de would have been an even better choice.
I DO know about the 4 w Malibu's, because I bought some last night at the local Fleet/Farm & installed them in the clearance(horn) lights on top of the headlights...I couldn't believe the difference in brightness.
Before, I had some blue tinted c-194's in there that were OK, but the Malibu's are at least three times brighter.
Best purchace under three bucks I've made in a while. ;)

etlsport
09/07/2006, 06:30 PM
yea id like to replace the whole assembly with the hella lights, but the malibus are quick and easy, i didnt take a photo, but there was a huge difference between the stock bulb and malibu bulb when they were side by side, when i come home, i usually turn my headlights off so i dont wake anyone up, the malibus are enough to park with

JHarris1385
09/08/2006, 09:28 AM
I want some chrome mirror covers?

Anita
09/08/2006, 09:39 AM
Years ago we had a source who fabbed up some great mods including the chrome mirror covers and carbon fiber hood inserts. Really top notch work. That source literally disappeared from the face of the earth - he just disappeared one day and never turned up again. He was our only source and no one/company has come forward to take its place. Those who were lucky to get covers have never parted with them unless they sold their VX with them on.