PDA

View Full Version : HELP HELP HELP dead VX

LittleBeast
09/02/2006, 11:11 PM
So VX completely looses ALL power when turned to the "on" position. Any ideas?

Headlights (Tone's HID's) will not come on at all, even with key out of ignition. I took the fuses out of the HID's, VX still loses all power when key is turned to the on position.

Alarm will not lock or unlock doors. Inside power door lock will not work at all, sounds like it tries and cannot turn on. Checked all fuses inside VX all are fine. Tried to turn key to on position while ACC fuse and headlight fuse and other fuses were out individually nothing worked. DVD player was messing up getting power when it should not in the ACC line and turning the cd inside around when power is off.

I took the whole interior apart and took out DVD player and disconnected all ACC items. Nothing seems to help entire VX loses power when key is turned to on position. But why will the HID's not come on no matter what? I don't get this, the VX is right now in the Kroger's Grocery store in not the best neighborhood in Houston, TX. HELP HELP HELP. Isuzu repair dept is not open on sundays I do not think. The only weird thing that happened tonight was my buddie tried to open the door while I was unlocking it and then it would not unlock I had to relock it and then unlock it and it made a loud sound, but I have had that happen multiple times in different cars...... I am so frustrated! First night my VX is not safe in my care. HELP!!!!!

Thanks In Christ,
Ryan H
USA Decathlon Team

uncle_asa
09/02/2006, 11:44 PM
So VX completely looses ALL power when turned to the "on" position. Any ideas?

Headlights (Tone's HID's) will not come on at all, even with key out of ignition. I took the fuses out of the HID's, VX still loses all power when key is turned to the on position.

Alarm will not lock or unlock doors. Inside power door lock will not work at all, sounds like it tries and cannot turn on. Checked all fuses inside VX all are fine. Tried to turn key to on position while ACC fuse and headlight fuse and other fuses were out individually nothing worked. DVD player was messing up getting power when it should not in the ACC line and turning the cd inside around when power is off.

Two easy things to check:
1) Check that your battery is fully charged. You can bring it to the nearest automotive shop to recharge if it is not so. If you use battery more than 3 years I'd suggest to replace it unconditionally.
2) Check that you have good contact to the battery. It could be strongly attached, but that does not mean that it is not oxided. Weaken a bit nut and roll the clip round on the battery pin, then fasten nut. I personally prefer to put some special contact improving gel (sold in the automotive shops here) under the clip.

Hotsauce
09/03/2006, 05:41 AM
Fusible link bad.

John C.

LittleBeast
09/03/2006, 07:14 AM
Where is the fusable link that might be blown?

LEG 01VX
09/03/2006, 08:34 AM
Ryan,
Can I come help you get it home?
Can you call Isuzu Roadside for service to tow home?

geshaw30
09/03/2006, 10:12 AM
Ryan- if you end up having to leave it in the parking lot tonight let me know. I can have "the boys" in the area check on it throughout. You have my cell if I can be of any help today.....

George
________
Christianity Dicussion (http://www.religionboard.org/christianity/)

Triathlete
09/03/2006, 10:59 AM
Asa and HS are thinking in the right direction. After checking their suggestions check the ground cable for the battery. Check to make sure it is not frayed anywhere along its length. Check both ends to make sure they are tightly secured and check them for corrosion. Also check the battery to make sure the sides are not bulging out and the battery is not hot (signs of an internal short). Hope one of these will get you on the road again.

Tone
09/03/2006, 11:09 AM
Battery failed and/or alternator

LittleBeast
09/03/2006, 01:11 PM
I checked the positive battery connection last night before I left the VX in the parking lot over night, I guess I will try to get over there sometime today and check the negative side as well. It has a yellow top battery that is barely one year old in it, and I have never noticed any corrosion before, so I'm thinking it might be the altinator now seeing your replies, but I have had altinators go out before I have just never heard of a car loosing power only when the key is turned on to the on position, does it do this because it is drawing a higher current to something and totally cuts everything off? Shouldn't a low battery "try" to do something instead of killing all power to the car, and it doesn't kill the power when you try to start it, it has no power at all in the on position before you try to crank it.

Larry, thanks for the offer, how much would Isuzu roadside cost me, I am the second owner? I was thinking of just having it loaded onto a flat bed truck and moved to Champion Isuzu out on 290. George thanks for the concern if I do not call to have it towed/moved it will be there tonight as well, I will give you a call if so. Thanks everyone.
In Christ,
Ryan

Techy-D
09/03/2006, 01:25 PM
I've seen a battery that died (It would support a very small current, but completly drop out when given any more of a load). I could press the breaks and the 4 break lights were enough to pull it to it's knees (Under 2volts from 11Volts. That could be a test if you don't have a volt meter. (I'm guessing the VX allows the break light to work with the key off). If the fusable link burned open, it shouldn't be intermitent.

uncle_asa
09/03/2006, 01:40 PM
I checked the positive battery connection last night before I left the VX in the parking lot over night, I guess I will try to get over there sometime today and check the negative side as well. It has a yellow top battery that is barely one year old in it, and I have never noticed any corrosion before, so I'm thinking it might be the altinator now seeing your replies, but I have had altinators go out before I have just never heard of a car loosing power only when the key is turned on to the on position, does it do this because it is drawing a higher current to something and totally cuts everything off? Shouldn't a low battery "try" to do something instead of killing all power to the car, and it doesn't kill the power when you try to start it, it has no power at all in the on position before you try to crank it.

Larry, thanks for the offer, how much would Isuzu roadside cost me, I am the second owner? I was thinking of just having it loaded onto a flat bed truck and moved to Champion Isuzu out on 290. George thanks for the concern if I do not call to have it towed/moved it will be there tonight as well, I will give you a call if so. Thanks everyone.
In Christ,
Ryan
Another easy thing you can do if someone could help you is to swap batteries to test if your VX will run with the battery from another or another VX will start with your battery.

LittleBeast
09/04/2006, 09:42 AM
Well, Larry came by and we swapped batteries after cleaning his and my battery terminals and VX started right up. BE WARNED-YELLOWTOP OPTIMA ONLY HAS ONE YEAR WARRANTY while the cheaper red top battery has a three year warranty!!!!!

So my yellow top at 1 year and 4 months old completely bit the dust all at once with no warning no trying to turn over nothing, just completely all at once could handle no load, and would completely die with any load, ON position, headlights, anything with a load killed all power, because the yellow top died.

So Larry took me and the DEAD yellow top to Sam's and they gave me a $37 credit because it was just out of warranty, and I bought the cheaper better warranty red top that they were out of last time I went to purchase a battery from them. Luckily Larry had a Sam's card just like George had a Sam's card for the last battery and I paid $109-$37credit=$72 instead of $150 for the red top at Autozone.

Thanks for everyone's help it is awesome to be part of the VX family and really feel like it, Larry you helped out a ton thanks for coming over and lending a helping hand, I owe you a dinner sometime.

In Christ,
Ryan

Maugan_VX
09/04/2006, 10:36 AM
Unless the battery was defective, then you might want to go about finding out why it died so quickly.

I saw that you have HIDs, but what else do you have that may be taxing your electical system? I know that I went through a couple alternators in my trooper due to my big ole stereo in it.

Triathlete
09/04/2006, 11:10 AM
Yep, to be on the safe side you might want to run by a Checker Auto (or whatever they are called in your neck of the woods) and have them put the tester on the alternator just to make sure its charging correctly.

Tone
09/04/2006, 02:42 PM
YellowTop has a 1 yr replacement warranty and another 2yrs of prorated warranty. Deep cycles will die suddenly such as your experience whereas the reds die slower.

VXD959
09/04/2006, 02:49 PM
Ryan,

Glad the problem got fixed. Just got back from Nacagdoches visiting my daughters for the wekend. Otherwise would have been there with Larry trying to help.

I will send the fangs this week.

See you soon!

VXD959
09/06/2006, 07:36 AM
LittleBeast,

Please check your inbox...

Thanks,

Mr. I-MAN
09/06/2006, 10:50 AM
Battery failed and/or alternator

If its any consulation Isuzu put a brand new ALT in April of 04 (it crapped out on me after a trail run @ badlands).

Hows my baby doing otherwise??

I kinda miss her :(

LittleBeast
09/06/2006, 10:54 AM
The VX is doing great I just wish the yellow top didn't go out so soon. Yeah I pulled out the ohm meter and tested the altinator and it is running great, thanks for the info. I just got done installing the glow needles and Blue LED's throughout the entire interior, so it is looking newer than ever!

Gussie2000
02/13/2008, 04:41 PM
Well buddy i can only suggest you to have the best & affordable battery on your beloved toy.
Leaving this such a jewel at a unsafe neighborhood isn't easy at all

Thankfully you get it to hit the road again