PDA

View Full Version : Breakin period on new engine

TimG
04/25/2003, 12:31 PM
Well since I'm getting a new engine in my VX (Should have it back Monday or Tuesday),
I've been somewhat curious about this. What is the break in period for my new engine?
Should I run synthetic or normal oil for that breakin period? I'm going to ask my
dealer the same questions, but I wanted some input from some fellow VX owners that
actually know something about engines (A category that I definitely don't fall in).

I've found some discussion about this on the wire here (http://www.4x4wire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=68;t=010480), but there is no consensus.

Edit:
I guess I should add that I normally run synthetic and change every 3000 miles. I've already weighed the cost/benifit of running synthetic and I don't care about the extra cost of synthetic.
I'm just wondering about the breakin period.

Locomigo
04/25/2003, 12:42 PM
I have 68000 on my engine. Still run dino, as the extra costis incurred and savings arent realized since I change it every 3000. Not to mention that the benefits for synthetic would not actually be a benefit for my case. YMMV.

Could I go longer? certainly, but with the amount of off highway travel my rig does, and the fine gritty sand we have around here, I choose not to. Thusly, I change it and run dino, and see no issues with it.

Another thought on the break in treatment on the engine...
Drive it like you ordinarily would. I have experienced and seen seals go bad and things of that nature when babying the engine at first and then driving aggressively later in its life.

That school of thought was fine back in the day, but with the higher engineering tolerances, compression, and well designed engines... I see no reason for failure from driving like you ordinarily would.

TimG
04/25/2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Locomigo

Drive it like you ordinarily would. I have experienced and seen seals go bad and things of that nature when babying the engine at first and then driving aggressively later in its life.

It is definitely going to get driven like it normally would. If there is a problem, I want to find out before I make the trip to utah. I'm going to do my best to put 1000 miles on it between when I get it back and when I start the drive to Moab.

AnalogVX
04/25/2003, 03:14 PM
There is thread going on right now about this on the wire. Maybe it could be of some help?
http://www.4x4wire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=68;t=010480

Zu4two
04/25/2003, 06:27 PM
Tim,
For the first few hundred miles (300-500) try not to drive too much freeway. Vary the RPM's often and vary the length of your trips. This lets all the wear surfaces thermal cycle and promotes even wear.

Or so I've been told.

Other than that, I'm with Loco, don't pamper it too much. Of course, you probably want to save the drag racing for Moab (oh, or was that the other crazy Texan ;Dr; )

TimG
04/25/2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Zu4two

Of course, you probably want to save the drag racing for Moab (oh, or was that the other crazy Texan ;Dr; )

I'm pretty sure that was another texan :)