PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass cladding?

WormGod
08/31/2006, 07:57 AM
Besides that Mooncraft moneypit, has anyone ever seen any OEM designed fiberglass cladding panels available? Just curious since it seems the easiest, most likely option for cladding down the road. I actually think I would be interested in f/g panels since I don't go offroad and the chances of damaging them would only come in the form of a (God forbid!) accident. And best yet, they would be easier to paint. ;)

I have done some f/g work in previous jobs and it seems that with some panels as a mould base, it is quite doable in a "fairly" cheap and timely manner. I just don't have the time, facility, or equipment to give it a go.

Joe_Black
08/31/2006, 09:34 AM
We'll be pulling a mold from the nose of the IronMan for the rally VX, and will be incorporating everything ahead of the firewall including the cladding. The end product will be a one piece tilt-forward nose that's easily removed. The thought of producing molds for the rest of the cladding has come to mind, especially as a competition replacment for the OEM cladding not only to save weight but also to preserve the originals.

tbigity
08/31/2006, 10:22 PM
brilliant idea joe. Keep us updated on the progress of that. I would be interested in some pieces.

Maugan_VX
09/01/2006, 03:48 AM
whew joe.

A single piece mold of the whole front end aint going to be easy.

Joe_Black
09/01/2006, 05:01 AM
A single piece mold of the whole front end aint going to be easy.
It shouldn't be too bad. The first plan is to use lighter stiffeners to allow enough flex to clear the fender flanges and such, then for layup clamp on more rigid material to the stiffeners to get the shape. The contingency for that is to omit the flanges and add during layup from flexible flat stock.

I'm always open to suggestions! ;)

WormGod
09/01/2006, 06:50 AM
I'm always open to suggestions! ;)

All the other "individual" cladding panels? ;)

Raque Thomas
09/01/2006, 10:04 AM
Does anyone have the link to that Mooncraft site, or any of the pictures saved that they could post here?

Cyrk
09/01/2006, 10:32 AM
MOON CRAFT links...

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/moon/moon.htm
http://park16.wakwak.com/~kero/vehicross/YRVX/mcv.htm

http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/moon/moon2.jpg

Maugan_VX
09/01/2006, 10:38 AM
Joe,

It would definitely benefit you (IMO) to go ahead and female mold the pieces separately, then once the pieces are mocked up on the VX, bond the pieces together to form your one-piece hood/fender.

Also, what are you planning on using for a molding material?

transio
09/01/2006, 10:55 AM
Ok, RE: the Mooncraft kit.

My first reaction is that it looks just stupid. Then, the more I look at it, I think the proportions are nice, but something is off. Then I realize, it's the fender flares. They're too convex, making them look awkward and bubbly, and detached from the body. They need a concave upper curve. I think it's called a reflex curve? :confused: Not sure. But anyhow, make it less exaggerated and smooth out of the fenders and that would make a nice-looking wide-body VX.