PDA

View Full Version : Run the Blue Ridge Parkway

TrooperCROSS
04/25/2003, 12:11 PM
I would like to know if there any VXers out there that might be interested in getting together for a run on the Blue Ridge Parkway. (NC- VA) The Road is winding and the views are spectacular. I have access to a cabin in the mountains of NC just outside of West Jefferson that might work as a base to meet up. There is a Parkway entrance just 10 miles from there. That's about as far as I've gotten in the planning stage. Just wanted to know if there was any interest for sometime this spring/summer/fall.

Let me know,
Evan

dyanni
04/25/2003, 03:02 PM
Fall is a great time to cruise the parkway. I go through there every fall. This last year was my first in a VX - it really takes those curves ... And whenever you stop to look at the overlooks - others start looking-over your VX.

Sounds good. How much / far of the parkway did you plan to cover ?

geshaw30
04/25/2003, 03:19 PM
Dear 'ol Mom lives in Brevard (N.C.) and I visit every year. I plan on being up there the 3rd week of July.

Take the time to get off the Parkway and head into Pisgh forest. Tons of old logging trails and some great waterfall shots (i.e. Courthouse & Rainbow). Hollar if you'd like some directions-I've photographed over 30 different falls.
________
CRITICAL ILLNESS INSURANCE DICUSSION (http://www.insurance-forums.org/critical-illness-insurance/)

MrCrowley
04/25/2003, 06:08 PM
I would love go depending on when it will be. I knew I couldnt make the N Georgia meet due to timing, but I drive right through that area from N Alabama to visit my family all over NC.

TrooperCROSS
04/26/2003, 11:50 AM
Hey, I'm encouraged by the response so far. I was just at the cabin a few weeks ago and saw the entrance to the Parkway and instantly thought that road was made for our VX's.

I'll get up with each of you separately to go over suggestions and time frames. Based on those coorespondences and more research I should be able to come up with a couple of ideas for good runs.

Thanks everyone!!

skullcap
04/27/2003, 07:10 AM
If the timing is right, I'll definitely do it!

The parkway is pretty nice just about any time of year when the road's open. June is nice for the cool air and banks of purple Carolina rhododendrons.

Between Asheville and Boone, we can even pay a visit to Mt. Mitchell, the highest point in the eastern US.

It would be best to plot-out locations for an overnight stay-or-two, the parkway is anything but a straight-shot.

If we're thinking of holding-off on the BRP until a little later this year, maybe - in the meantime - we can do a trial-run on the Cherohalla Skyway, which is a shorter route on the TN/NC border in the Smokies.

forgetful
04/27/2003, 12:42 PM
Hi everyone.
Forgetful is in CA. But this sounds like a great idea.Just say when and I 'm sure we will be there .
Kathy;Dy;