PDA

View Full Version : Shocks install Question

BD-VX99
08/25/2006, 07:34 PM
Ok, just installed new front shocks (Bilstein H1's) and went to work on the rears when I read in the service manual (in the rear section only) that you are not to apply grease to the shock or bracket. Well, it didn't say that for the front, and in fact I had put a small amount of white grease on the rubber bushings thinking that it may prevent noise down the line and ease the assembly. So here's the questions.. Do I need to tear this apart to clean off the grease from the bushings? and Why would it specifically say (in bold red print) not to apply grease in the rear suspension section but not in the proceding front suspension section? Any information / advice? What evil things are my dab of grease going to do? anything? By the way, drove it on the fronts only and it's a night and day difference. There was nothing left of the stock front left. it felt empty after I had removed it.

transio
08/25/2006, 08:18 PM
I don't see what bad grease could do... though the bushings are wedge-shaped... maybe they think it could make them slip out (silliness)? Only reason I could see the fronts using grease and not the backs would be on the top end, maybe? Either way, I don't think it'll make a huge difference... I didn't grease my Bilsteins when I put them in, and they're fine. I think yours will be fine, too.

PS - the backs go on A LOT easier.

BD-VX99
08/25/2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks. Thats good new. Also good news for the back going in easier. The front swap was very straight forward but I did do a bit of swearing trying to get the lower end in the bracket. I almost thought that the bushing they supplied was to long, but the second time around (for the right) it went in much quicker.

VehiGAZ
08/26/2006, 08:11 AM
I also installed my Bils without any grease, and after a year or so I have had no squeaks or any other noises.

As for the bold warning, maybe it is because it's possible for the grease to drip onto the brakes in the back? Just a guess.