PDA

View Full Version : Nittos Coming Tommorow

jimbo
08/20/2006, 04:37 PM
After all these years of lusting at the pics in some of the galleries here, waiting for the right time to do it, tommorow my Terra Grappler 285/60/18s finally come via UPS, and I will have them installed on the stock wheels at a reputable local tire shop (Tire City) either tommorow or the next day. Actually I have 2 used ones I got from Ebay last week in the garage already, and the two new ones from discount tire come tommorow.

I trimmed the cladding already, with my trusty porter cable bayonet saw, as per the excellent instructions/photos on these forums - thanks everybody.

Is there anything else about the install I should be aware of? Any potential problems? Should I put the used ones on the front, or back?

Thanks.

etlsport
08/20/2006, 04:53 PM
used ones should be on the front.... never want bigger tires in the front with the TOD.. even then, having different sized tires at all is a bit of a gamble

jimbo
08/20/2006, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I figured the front was better.

Bigger? - not very much, just a slight difference in tread height.

I had a screw in my sidewall a while back that 86ed one tire so I have one almost new stock tire on the front (after my last rotation) and one over half worn, and no problems with TOD now.

Hope I don't have any TOD problems with these new ones. I thought the used Nittos were a gift from heaven with what these things cost new :)

Maugan_VX
08/21/2006, 05:50 AM
when I put on the nittos I noticed the TOD is much more active. On hard accel, my TOD kicks in 50/50 even when I'm not losing traction.

jimbo
08/21/2006, 06:33 AM
when I put on the nittos I noticed the TOD is much more active. On hard accel, my TOD kicks in 50/50 even when I'm not losing traction.
How does the tOD actually work? I wonder if correcting the output to the speedo would fix this behavior? I was thinking of doing this eventually anyway (didn't Grant do it a while back? I wonder how that is working out?).

Tone sells one, although it's hard to find out about it online (is the company out of business? The website seems to be down). And then there is this one:

http://www.blackrobotics.com/

called "the yellowbox" whos makers have a lot of install/calibration/faq information etc.on their product, and they really seem to stand behind it with a 10 year warranty. Would be $110 with shipping.

etlsport
08/21/2006, 08:08 AM
I'm not an expert, but i beleive that the TOD works by measuring how many revolutions the tires are making compared to each other, and when a tire starts spinning faster than the rest, it assumes the tire is slipping and transfers power elsewhere

iamjacksadrenalgland
08/21/2006, 10:33 AM
in this thread, tone says that the speedo recalibrator would help.

TOD pulsing thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=7170&highlight=speedometer)

jimbo
08/22/2006, 12:36 PM
I have been thoroughly NITTO-IZED!

..... and I like it :)