PDA

View Full Version : My VX is HOT!

nfpgasmask
08/17/2006, 10:17 AM
Literally. I've had my VX since May, and I've noticed that after a 20-30 minute drive or longer, the truck is really hot, and when I say hot, I don't mean just engine temp, but the whole truck itself. Like, I put my hand on the passanger side floor and I noticed the floor was very hot. Also, since I took my rear seats out, I noticed the floor in the back area gets pretty hot also. Even the console area under the shifters is pretty hot to the touch.

So, is this normal? I mean, I know there is a lot going on under the hood and under the truck as well, but should I be worried about it?

Bart

Joe_Black
08/17/2006, 11:08 AM
Welcome to a vehicle with little or no underbody insulation. The trick is to put things you want to keep warm in the cupholder and stuff you want chilled in the space when the thigh bolster extends so the crotch vent blows on it.

If the heat is bothersome, you can fabricate some heat shields from aluminum and also apply heat-reflective underbody insulation. A local speed shop or online retailer like www.summitracing.com are usually good sources for stuff you can't make yourself.

nfpgasmask
08/17/2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks Joe, it doesn't really bother me, I just want to make sure it isn't a problem. I mean, not to compare the VX to anything else, but my Mom still drivers her 96 Trooper (which I used to drive alot also), and I don't remember it getting hot like this, and my 2000 Nissan Xterra certainly didn't, so I was just curious....I want to make sure my VX isn't sick...

Bart

etlsport
08/17/2006, 11:50 AM
yep, its normal... i always keep candy in my car (ive got a bit of a sweet tooth) and even in february, the candy i kept in the center console was melted... but as joe said.. its great to keep things (like coffee) warm in the "cupholder"

nfpgasmask
08/17/2006, 12:18 PM
Cool, glad to hear that it is indeed "normal" - and good to know I can always fry an egg on my floor boards if I really need to ;)

Bart

yep, its normal... i always keep candy in my car (ive got a bit of a sweet tooth) and even in february, the candy i kept in the center console was melted... but as joe said.. its great to keep things (like coffee) warm in the "cupholder"

VCAMILO
08/17/2006, 12:45 PM
My VX runs hot also.... but the again I live in Phoenix. Cabin Temperature after work its about 135-140 degress. I did put insulation underneath the cup holder to keep my driink cold. It works. Also all the DynoMat I have all over the car seems to work also... :p

nfpgasmask
08/18/2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, its been pretty warm here in the Chi too, hopefully the cabin heat will go down some once winter returns (I can't wait).

Bart

My VX runs hot also.... but the again I live in Phoenix. Cabin Temperature after work its about 135-140 degress. I did put insulation underneath the cup holder to keep my driink cold. It works. Also all the DynoMat I have all over the car seems to work also... :p

tbigity
08/18/2006, 10:11 AM
HAHA! I love it! I thought it was only me. Like ETLSport, I hve a sweet tooth, esp for all things gummy. On our trip back from Transio's I HAD to hit a convenient store and grab a bag or two of gummy worms. We munched a bit then just put them on the ground under my wife's legs. Well...needless to say, in about 2 hours, we had a bag filled with multicolored-gummy-worm-soup. Let chill for an hour and enjoy the world's most amazing gummyglomerate :-)

please note, normally, I would not show such a sexy photo of myself...but I feel the thread topic merits it
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/worms.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/worms.jpg)

etlsport
08/18/2006, 07:53 PM
hahahaha.. ive enjoyed more than one gummysoup in my vx... some people just never learn (like me).. one of these days ill put some padding down there

dynamojon
08/22/2006, 11:11 AM
hahah. Nice soup.

Anita
08/22/2006, 11:18 AM
tbigity you are a true VX owner - ownership has come natural to you... :cool!:

tbigity
08/22/2006, 11:20 AM
why thanks...i try. If soup is what it takes, I am willing to soup it up with my fellow hot VXers :)

Ldub
08/22/2006, 04:40 PM
why thanks...i try. If soup is what it takes, I am willing to soup it up with my fellow hot VXers :)

THERE'S GOING TO BE SOUP ??? :confused: