PDA

View Full Version : halfmoon camera install

Boogieman
08/17/2006, 08:10 AM
[sorry in advance for what I'm sure is a well-worn topic; couldn't find this specific question in the archives]

I picked up an inexpensive rear camera on eBay, just to figure out how badly I need/want one of these things. With some posts talking about how tricky it could be to remove the half moon, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with installing a camera WITHOUT removing the half moon at all? The camera has several adjusting rings, so it wold seem all I would need is a round hole to insert it and tighten up. Possible? I haven't looked closely at this area in a while. May be difficult to seal up weather tight this way?

etlsport
08/17/2006, 09:17 AM
i would think just taking some silicone and putting it behind the outtermost ring would be enough to keep water out, there shouldnt be any kind of pressure forcing water in back there anyway

MZ-N10
08/17/2006, 02:17 PM
there is almost no way of installin teh camera into teh halfmoon wihtout taking off the halfmoon(there is but i dotn think the work/quality is worth it). u could always install it inside teh car. have it glued to teh rear windshield.

Tone
08/17/2006, 02:57 PM
License plate camera's are what we use now and makes for an easy install. But removing the half moon is only 2 10mm nuts and 2 clips and is the right place to install it...

dynofan
08/17/2006, 07:31 PM
I'm in the process of installing a camera. Actually, found getting the 'moon' off easily by removing the 2 clips, 2 nuts, and carefully cutting the mounting tape on the circumference. Popped the lens rectangle out and installed clear plexiglass. May add tint. Looked at the wireless, and the specs said the signal could be weakened by interference. Decided to hardwire everything.

etlsport
07/18/2007, 11:26 AM
what has everyone been using to reseal their half moons when putting them back on? after removing mine it leaks like no other, causing water to get into my camera!

Dino
07/18/2007, 07:00 PM
3M Auto Trim tape. It's sticky on 2 sides. Put it around the entire perimeter and around the holes. Peel off the plastic layer and press into place. Get it right because this stuff really sticks.