PDA

View Full Version : My hood insert is coming undone

andylockhart
04/24/2003, 06:37 AM
I have a 99 Black VX with just over 31K miles. I just noticed today that one corner of my hood insert is sticking up and looks like it has come unglued (I don't know how it is attached). Has anyone experienced this or does anyone know how I can "glue" it back down? Would caulk work?

TrooperCROSS
04/24/2003, 07:03 AM
I've not looked for sure but am pretty sure it is bolted down. You'd have to pull the insulting pad from under the hood to be sure. I'll bet some of the others know for certain.

Andy, you are the first person I've come across that is close to home. How far are you from NCState. If you want some help just let me know.

WormGod
04/24/2003, 07:26 AM
Yep, its bolted on and many of us have had this problem. Hope you are still under warranty, cause itshould be covered. Do a search on the site for a TON of information on hood inserts.

andylockhart
04/25/2003, 10:08 AM
I'm about 5 miles from NC State and the closest Isuzu dealer has absolutely no clue about VX's...they told me yesterday that they haven't seen one in the shop for about 3 years. Even if I were still under warranty, I'm not sure I could trust them to fix it.

I first noticed the hood insert pulling apart yesterday and today it has gotten worse. I can now see where it is bolted down in the corner, but it looks like the bolts are holding down some kind of double sided sticky pad that lines the hood insert. It's safe to say the sticky pad has lost its stickiness. I'm thinking about buying some clear caulk to just go around the entire hood insert and seal it for good. Shower & tub caulk should be waterproof.

I can't find any other posts on this site about this exact problem The closest thing I have found was the one about hood inserts cracking. Mine hasn't cracked yet (knock on wood).

TrooperCROSS
04/25/2003, 10:52 AM
Tried to email you direct but delivery failed to the account listed.

You only have 3 years or 50k on your warranty to cover this kind of repair. I've had some warranty work done at Thompsons in Raleigh. I don't trust them and you have to keep after them but if you have warranty left it will save money. If you are going to mess with it yourself you might want to use an auto adhesive rather than caulk. If you want someone you can trust to look at it I would recomend Creech Imports in Raleigh. Stan Creech is the owner and they specialize in Isuzus. I trust him and have been going to him for 8 years, 872-1999.

Good luck,
Evan

andylockhart
04/25/2003, 12:43 PM
the e-mail address should work now...i had to clean out my daily spam overload.