PDA

View Full Version : TOD light flashing

VXFTW
08/11/2006, 06:12 PM
Alright,

After searching threads for TOD, I can't seem to find anything related to my problem. . .

My TOD check light started flashing today. The light indicates no front-wheel drive operation what-so-ever. When I put it into full TOD, the engine revs really high and whines loudly and it feels like it's dragging the front end. I didn't drive it for more than a minute or go above 40 mph/4k rpm before i went back to normal TOD. As far as I can tell, the problem came as i was driving and had the power drive engaged.

I recently had my oil changed, but that was a day ago and I drove it at least 50 miles before the problem occurred.

Is there anything around the oil filter that would affect the TOD light?

I haven't gotten my hands dirty yet, since it's dark out and I live in an apartment complex. Man, I miss my garage!

SPAZZ
08/11/2006, 06:35 PM
did the oil spill all over and run over the sensors and short them out, did you change tires, wheels, rims, put a spare on, run through deep water, mud, take your VX swimming, attempt the TOD disconnect mod, rotate tires, mess with lug nuts, brake job, blow a fuse, have any wire work done, etc...

basically pick your brain for anything...I mean ANYTHING...that could have been serviced, tampered, changed, messed with, new, water, mud, mods, etc that could have happened recently. Then make a list. From there we can start a process of elemination.

I only had a flashing check TOD light after I took my VX SWIMMING quite litterally with water/mud coming over the top of the hood and into the doors where the windows were down. It never died, but it took about 7 fluid changes before all the water was drained. After everything dried out the TOD light stopped flashing.

etlsport
08/11/2006, 06:38 PM
from what ive read on other TOD posts, the first place to start would probably be by resetting your computer by disconnecting the battery for a half hour or so, this would rule out a computer problem, then if the problem came back u could go from there

VXFTW
08/11/2006, 07:31 PM
Spazz - Nothing aside from the oil change. No swimming, no installs, replacements, etc. It just came on.

As far as disconnecting the battery, I'd rather diagnose the problem and fix it rather than just fix the symptom, ya know what I mean? If I'm lucky, it's just the light, but IDK at this point.

SPAZZ
08/11/2006, 07:41 PM
do you have an auto parts store where you can get the code read for free and maybe they do the print out of the code too for free???

Then you could go online or look through the CD rom manual and pick your brain???

If the oil spilled on the sensors going into the hubs/disc breaks then that could have shorted them out making the light come on and flash.

The oil is in the right spot coming out of the filter to spill out and run out and perhaps run down the sensor on passenger side. It's a long shot, but IF they are a really sloppy shop it COULD happen.

Or maybe they are one of those shops that MAKE something happen and hope you are going to pay them to get it fixed. Or fix it elsewhere and that place will do the same and hit or miss they will get it fixed at your shop. Scandals.

VXFTW
08/11/2006, 08:42 PM
Any idea where i can get that cd rom manual? I'll check the passenger side sensor in the morning. Is there one on the driver's side as well?

I think I have an Advanced Auto Parts store around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find them and get a code.

kpaske
08/11/2006, 11:41 PM
Any idea where i can get that cd rom manual?
Click Here (http://www.tonemonday.com/storage/vx_manual.zip)

Hotsauce
08/12/2006, 02:57 AM
Your TOD is probably in lockup mode.

I had posted long ago how to read and clear the TOD codes without a tool, if you search you should be able to find it.

Same thing happened to me soon after I bought the truck. The code refered to front speed sensor, but it turned out to be a wet connector, the problem only occured in the rain, and vanished when dry.

John C.

VXFTW
08/12/2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the CD.

After much ado finding a damn ground, I checked the error codes and came up with 13 (shorted ground), 14 (front speed sensor), and 24 (rear speed sensor). Any advice on how to fix these errors?

Also, is there any risk in driving with these errors? This is my only 4-wheeled vehicle and I drive it on a daily basis.

VXFTW
08/16/2006, 11:43 AM
I finally took the ride to the dealer and they diagnosed that I need a new TOD module and front and rear speed sensors. I'm just curious if it's common to have all three of these things go bad at the same time. Are they all part of the same system? Or does it just sound like a con? Total cost will be $1000 plus labor. I asked, and they absolutely won't use reconditioned/refurbished parts. Are these things I absolutely need?

Triathlete
08/16/2006, 11:58 AM
The factory is HIGHLY overpriced on their service. If you are handy with tools, you have the CD manuel. Give Merlin a call at St. Charles Isuzu and price the parts. Will be a lot cheaper. Or if you want to take a chance on used parts allhundaiisuzu.com.
But before any of these I'd buy a can of electrical cleaner, pull the plugs on all those parts give 'em a good cleaning/drying and see if that fixes the problem. Good luck!

Maugan_VX
08/16/2006, 12:02 PM
I'll second what TriAthlete said. All three of those things shouldn't go out all at once. Something might have wiggled loose on the TOD computer. Take the passenger seat out (pretty easy, a couple bolts) and then check the TOD Computer to make sure everything looks kosher.

Then go clean all the connectors.