PDA

View Full Version : Boned transmission and engine burning oil

Meatsnack
08/09/2006, 08:12 PM
My mom's silver 99 is like new in every respect except for the fact that the engine and transmission are hosed. The engine started consuming oil about six months ago and the tranny lost all but 3rd and reverse last week.

Maintenance details: dealer serviced every 3000 miles since new. Dealer performed EGR cleaning when the oil consumption started to no avail.

My question is, short of buying a new motor and tranny to the tune of $10k, are there other readily available options?
For example:

-- a salvage company that specializes in Isuzu's (Hey, it's a big world, anything is possible, right? Right?!?)

-- has anyone here ever completed an Axiom/Trooper engine swap into the VX?

--An Isuzu performance shop that could do a rebuild if I crate up the engine/tranny and ship to them?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. My mom loves her VX and uses it to get to her job at the hospital is truly crazy weather since she is an emergency responder. She really doesn't want to give it up, so she may grit her teeth and pay the Isuzu dealer if no other options present themselves.

etlsport
08/09/2006, 08:27 PM
i saw a used vx engine and tranny on ebay a week or so ago, might be worth lookin to see if they are still listed

WyrreJ
08/09/2006, 10:00 PM
Is she the original owner? Isn't the warranty for the original owner something like 10 years or 100K miles?

Tobert
08/10/2006, 04:15 AM
I think Joe Black might have a good used transmission available soon ;)

For engines, there are a few places out on the 'net that I've found, but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Ebay. You might just check with Accurate Engines or Jasper to see what their cost is. Often, the engines they sell are actually better than brand-new due to updates to components over the years and the refining they do on the block.

Also try a search for "jdm engine" to find places selling used engines from Japan. Word has it that due to their vehicle inspection laws, a lot of good-running cars hit the scrap yard and are parted out to be sold to us gaijin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaijin)

VCrossfan
08/10/2006, 09:02 AM
Do a seach here for each item www.car-part.com

psychos2
08/10/2006, 03:00 PM
I had oil consumption due to the pcv valve sticking open. Put breather on the pcv valve and plugged the line going into the intake and all is well again. shawn

Clyde
08/10/2006, 07:42 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7968338776&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT