PDA

View Full Version : fuel saving devices

etlsport
08/08/2006, 11:25 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/08/07/gas.saving.investigation/index.html

confirms what many of us already thought.. lots of fuel savers tested, not a single one was found to work.. including the tornado, which was shown to actually decrease fuel economy on a navigator

my stock vx gets 17.5-18.5 in a combination of city and highway, 19 sometimes now that I put a green performance air filter in and removed the elbow into the stock airbox.. lookin to get a new muffler soon, anyone have experience with mufflers that increase fuel econ?

blacksambo
08/09/2006, 11:42 AM
I've found the more you boost performance ie, better air filter etc. the worse gas mileage you get. Performance=reduced gas mileage, period. Now on ther plus side some tricks that do work are boosting tire air pressure from 29lbs to 39lbs. Also, Lucas gas treatment/injector cleaner really does work in lifting mileage a couple of points. For what it's worth.

SPAZZ
08/09/2006, 01:28 PM
:rolleyes: more air flow...especially cold air flow makes for better efficient mileage not worst mileage. Not sure where you learneded :confused:

Heavier foot makes for not so efficient mileage.

blacksambo
08/09/2006, 04:30 PM
I know it sounds crazy but more air flow than OEM spec drags down mileage. I see this in practice in my '99. For example, I changed to the K&N filter and saw the engine idle move from spec 750 to 850 consistently, with only the air filter change nothing else...need I prove more? performance enhancement=lower mileage every single time. Stick with the spec air induction system for max mileage.

SPAZZ
08/09/2006, 05:40 PM
I put in a Calmini air filter and have been receiving 30 more miles per tank over stock air box. So instead of 200 miles per tank I started receiving 230 miles per tank.

Ldub
08/09/2006, 05:51 PM
Double Hmmm...

I'm s/c'd with a K&N reverse cone on the end of an insulated c/f tube & a Borla muffler, & average 16.5-18 hwy., with an all time best of slightly over 23 going over (upside & downside) Vail pass.
I still think the farther west you go, the better the gas.
Yes, my in town mileage sucks, but that's my fault for having an addiction to G-force.

Mark Miller
08/09/2006, 07:32 PM
I heard this a few days ago:
To increase fuel mileage the Federal Government is redoing all roads in the United States so that All roads go down hill.

blacksambo
08/09/2006, 08:11 PM
I put in a Calmini air filter and have been receiving 30 more miles per tank over stock air box. So instead of 200 miles per tank I started receiving 230 miles per tank.

For reference, I'm getting 20mpg (400 miles+ per tank)with the stock air induction system on my wife's '99 (we both drive it so that rules out the foot factor), and it consistently idles at 750 rpm.

Mark Miller
08/10/2006, 05:27 AM
After reading some of the posts, I realized I didn't know if the air filters would increase or decrease fuel consumption.

So I went to the K&N website and found that the K&N air filters are not designed for fuel economy but to increase horsepower.

On their website fuel and economy are two words not used together.

blacksambo
08/10/2006, 09:10 AM
After reading some of the posts, I realized I didn't know if the air filters would increase or decrease fuel consumption.

So I went to the K&N website and found that the K&N air filters are not designed for fuel economy but to increase horsepower.

On their website fuel and economy are two words not used together.

My point exactly!

kpaske
08/10/2006, 10:50 AM
Doesn't increased airflow cause the computer to provide a richer mix of fuel, thereby decreasing gas mileage?

VCrossfan
08/10/2006, 11:08 AM
Not sure about the mpg but I know when it's hot outside and I had my K&N sucking the Hot air under the hood after a 50+ mile trip,the VX would not have the peep it had (engine temp unchanged) since I've went back to the stock air box breathing cooler outside air it seems to be alot better.

etlsport
08/10/2006, 11:26 AM
after reading this post i started paying closer attention to my idle RPM... looks like normal idle speed for me is about 750rpm.. give or take 20rpm since i havent gotten around to tightening the EGR....... only mods are ive removed the intake elbow and replaced the stock filter with a green performance panel filter from tone