PDA

View Full Version : Add cigarette lighter jack to fuzzy hole? (Cell phone mount)

IsuZOOM
04/23/2003, 07:44 PM
I currently have one of those hands-free / charger / mount deals for my cell phone plugged into the cigarette lighter, and I am really unhappy with the position of it. It's JUST out of the way of the shifter, and that's only because I've angled it to the side, so I can't read the cell phone display.

So... I'm thinking about the difficulty of adding a cigarette lighter jack to the fuzzy hole area. It'd have to be someone sturdy to hold the cell phone and charger base, and withstand me opening the phone and stuff.

Has anyone done this?

RalphDog
04/23/2003, 08:05 PM
I don't know about the fuzzy hole, but I got a great cell phone mount from Pro-Fit (a little pricey though 29.99). It uses screws that exist next to the radio, behind the dash. I use mine for my XM radio but it is recommended for cellphone uses. You should check it out, it makes for a very clean, professional-looking installation.

By the way, if you do look into these, the one you want is the one designed for the Rodeo, since Pro Fit apparently didn't realize the two vehicles share the same dash style.

These are available all over the Internet, so look for the best price.

AnalogVX
04/23/2003, 10:16 PM
Is this what you are talking about? http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/IZ-71-96.pdf
I think I found how I am going to mount my CB mic. I hate drilling any extra holes. Thanks for the tip!

IsuZOOM
04/24/2003, 02:24 AM
That's not going to work for me as I would STILL need a cigarette lighter jack :)

Locomigo
04/24/2003, 04:33 AM
Randy... piece of cake!

Use the pro fit, run the charging piece in behind the trim bezel and HARD WIRE it, making a permanent installation scenario.

Problem solved.

Let me know, I used to be a mobile electronics installer in my previous days...

RalphDog
04/24/2003, 05:01 AM
Rich D,

Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. Best price I found was here:

http://store.yahoo.com/xmfanstore/prvespmo.html

Simon Templar
04/24/2003, 07:42 AM
What are you using to attach the phone itself to the mount?

....sT

RalphDog
04/24/2003, 08:04 AM
Simon,

I think that's kind of your choice, I'm using it for a Delphi XM radio unit, but I think the company designed them to be fairly flexible in their application. The part of the mount that extends from the dash has several holes in it so I guess you could either screw something in there or just use the belt clip attachment on your cellphone.

Keep in mind these things are very basic, it's really $30.00 for a piece of bent finished metal. But, they do serve their purpose nicely in the way they integrate into your dash. I think the link Analog posted above to the company's instruction page demonstrates what I mean.

By the way Randy, I didn't mean to hijack your post I was just trying to share what I though was a useful item. ;)

Locomigo
04/24/2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Simon Templar
What are you using to attach the phone itself to the mount?

....sT
clamshell....

which attaches to the HF kit base/cradle for the phone...

IsuZOOM
04/24/2003, 08:16 AM
Yeah that's what I don't understand - what attaches to the bracket?

So, I called them this morning, and was told that any handsfree kit should attach to it. Which confuses me, as my kit (which is very popular, the CCM Roadster seen here:)

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_3d94019ef47ed3efeffe1528936cb098/i-1.JPG

Has no mounting holes on the back. I spoke with literally FOUR people there and none of them had any idea what handsfree kits might work. They just kept telling me to look on their website for installation instructions. Then I was "put on hold" (they put the phone down), left there for 10 minutes, and then hung up on. Two or three of the people I spoke with were at least 60-70 years old and had no idea what I was talking about. I give up - anyone else want to try?

Locomigo
04/24/2003, 08:58 AM
I see your issue now, that HF kit wont work with the pro-fit, since the cig lighter adapter IS the mount for it. Misunderstood which kit you had. So anyway, you are stuck with that scenario so long as you have that kit.

The fuzzy hole is not structurally rigid enough to support the weight if you retrofit a cig lighter outlet into it.

My suggestion: upgrade HF kit and get the profit, that solution is MUCH better. More flecible for your needs.

IsuZOOM
04/24/2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Locomigo
The fuzzy hole is not structurally rigid enough to support the weight if you retrofit a cig lighter outlet into it.I definitely agree with that - I'd take out the fuzzy hole and custom mount a cig lighter jack to some metal piece in the dash to keep it stable...

My suggestion: upgrade HF kit and get the profit, that solution is MUCH better. More flecible for your needs. I'd do this, except I upgrade phones every 12-24 months and these all-in-one HF kits are very convenient for this!

Locomigo
04/24/2003, 10:38 AM
Understand your dillemma.. thats why I use the HF cord, now available wireless w/bluetooth. :D

That and a cig adapter/splitter... two phones (work and personal) and a GPS overloads my 2 upfront power ports. and the one to get in back it too far for everyday use.

BumbleV-X
04/24/2003, 06:11 PM
Because we offroad, and not only need the phone, but the GPS, and the lap top all at once, Swordy made a great mod for ours. He added two cig lighter points (hot points) to the console where the back seat ash tray was. It also gives a place for our high Q-beam light to recharge while not 4 wheeling.

Just giving another thought to where it might be added.

Deb

IsuZOOM
04/25/2003, 07:49 PM
Hmmmmm.........

Don't you think that this mount would be great for a small LCD screen? Just run the power/video cable behind it into the radio/dash area?? (I'm assuming one would have to drill holes for that tho)

Posted by Locomigo
Randy... piece of cake!

Use the pro fit, run the charging piece in behind the trim bezel and HARD WIRE it, making a permanent installation scenario.

Problem solved.

Let me know, I used to be a mobile electronics installer in my previous days...Are you offering your services? :D

Locomigo
04/25/2003, 10:53 PM
It's possible... depends on any number of things, although I doubt any time is available prior to late May. There's this little thing called Moab 'Zu Zoo VI going on, and in addition to staffing and being co-trailmaster, kids chair, and getting rigs ready, I put everything else on hold since I have no free time to blow my nose. :p But if you are still looking for something, let me know.

You may not need to drill anything, the profit utilizes the screws from the radio, its pretty slick, and yeah, all kinds of choice gear can be mounted to it.

IsuZOOM
04/26/2003, 09:37 AM
Oh I wasn't really soliciting free help, just yanking your chain a little :)

What I meant by drilling was to make room for the wires - or would there be room already?

Moncha
04/26/2003, 09:54 AM
Behind the "Fuzzy Hole" there already is a hole that is on the lower right that is perfect for running wires.. I'm not kidding the dash of the VX/Rodeo is the most wire friendly I have ever dealt with..

IsuZOOM
04/28/2003, 06:48 PM
I'm currently looking into finding a small enough LCD that could mount to the pro-fit and still clear the airbag. Looks like something around a 3" LCD or smaller would fit...

IsuZOOM
04/29/2003, 10:29 AM
I've just special ordered the pro-fit, we'll see!