PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger Questions

Catch77
08/04/2006, 07:23 PM
I usually scan the forums first before I do any mods or post any questions.

I've been toyin' the idea of install a Supercharger on the VX. There were a couple issues that were posted about problems with the install and problems with the supercharger itself. So here goes the questions....

How realiable are they and how much maintaining has been done to keep 'em going?

Does the price justify the power gained?

Does it make the VX sound better?

These are just a few but I'm curious for long-term use and I do tend to be on the road a lot (the I95 trek from PA to FL). So I'd hate to break down in the middle of nowhere.

Plus it'd be nice to pair it up with a sweet duel exhaust which I have yet to look into.

tbigity
08/05/2006, 01:57 PM
I will be the first to admit that I am a mechanical noob...it is an engineering marvel that I was able to lift my own silverado a few years back...but when it comes to under the hood, I really am lost. Point being, I have seen a couple of "electronic superchargers" advertised here and there (as opposed to gear-driven ones). ANy comments? They seem to be < $200 which is one huge plus, but are they all smoke and mirrors? ANy long term drawbacks to the engine itself? :confused:

Tone
08/05/2006, 02:26 PM
Dual exhaust is good with the SC but otherwise you will more than likely loose power. Put a better muffler on there is the most cost effective.

ALL issues have been resolved with the Alpine kits - FAQ here:
http://tonemonday.com/faqs.html
http://tonemonday.com/advantages.html

Ldub
08/06/2006, 04:41 AM
IMO, the price is justified IF...

If you don't care about mileage...not that you won't still be able to get 17-23 MPG on the highway, these numbers reflect my personal experience, yours may vary.
It's very hard to keep your newly enlarged foot out of it around town...it's just too much fun. ;)

And yes, it does sound "better"...another reason it's so hard to keep your foot out of it. That supercharger whine is like motorhead "crack".

Yes, the install had it's trials & tribulations. If you peruse all the threads pertaining to supercharger install, you should be able to pick up enough info. to make it go much smoother.(Making shims for the fuel rails comes to mind.)

I bought mine from Tone & he went out of his way to answer all my questions (& there were more than a few) promptly.

BTW, tbigity, save your money...another electric fan under your hood isn't going to make any more power, as Tone mentioned, it'll probably reduce power by restricting flow in the intake.

Tone
08/06/2006, 06:59 AM
But I do have one of them electric superchargers I removed from a customer's vehicle when putting on an Alpine unite. $35 and it is yours.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/06/2006, 08:05 AM
I had mine (bought from Tone) installed around 36K miles and now have 56K miles with no issues. I hauled a cargo trailer last week with a 1,000 lb. Cub Cadet Tractor and 200 lb. Snowblower implement that I had sold in order to purchase new equipment and the VX definitately felt the weight as far as the braking system was concerned but yanked that trailer & load without noticable effort up hills. I didn't feel the penalty on mileage due to towing was bad either. I expected to use a half a tank of fuel and only used like a tick over quarter tank. Like Ldub...I too have seen 22mpg on interstate going to Vermont from PA and 23mpg going home. Last four fill-ups of all-around type driving yielded an average of 19 mpg.

Catch77
08/06/2006, 09:17 AM
Well..I'm thinkin' going full blast with the Alpine unit. But I'm just makin' sure that I can justify 3k for it.

Tone
08/06/2006, 11:10 AM
You're gonna love it! This is the way this PUV should have come from the factory!

Catch77
08/06/2006, 05:15 PM
So Tone...you have 'em in stock so I can get this baby installed before the end of the month?

Tone
08/06/2006, 05:38 PM
Nope - they are built to order but end of the month may be possible. I'll send an email tonite and get back with you.

tbigity
08/15/2006, 08:54 PM
has anyone done a before and after on a dymo with the alpine? Is most of the gain low-end?

I had no idea how sexy the power in these things was until I got transio's baby. The morgan tec and dual exhaust give a nice pur and great acceleration...and I want more :p . Is the 3k installed or just the alpine unit?

Ruflyf
08/16/2006, 04:32 AM
has anyone done a before and after on a dymo with the alpine? Is most of the gain low-end?

Yes there are before and after dynos posted, but I cant remember by who. A decent search should reveal them though

Cyrk
08/16/2006, 05:29 AM
Here is a thread when me and John took out VX's to a 4wheel dyno.

We did not have a stock VX there since both of ours had the same mods, only mine has the SC and John's does not.

Since then I added a new dual catback and went up bout 9hp over the old catback I was using. I dyno'd 216.21HP and with the new duals: 225.36.

Bottom line this is the way the VX should have been from the factory!
There is a gain everywhere, but I seem to notice more after 50-60mph.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6423&highlight=dyno

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8053&highlight=dyno

Maugan_VX
08/16/2006, 08:21 AM
Can anyone remember the thread where the guy had modified his vx to run 13's in the 1/4?

</slightly related, thread hijack>

etlsport
08/16/2006, 08:33 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=3905

this thread talks about tone's low 14's...

.. all this talk of superchargers might become very detrimental to my bank account...

Maugan_VX
08/16/2006, 08:57 AM
it wasn't that thread.

some guy had tuned the VX, given it a S/C, bored over cylinders and all kinds of stuff.

Even posted his 1/4 slip.

kpaske
08/16/2006, 09:26 AM
Wasn't that guy full of it though? If it's the same guy I'm thinking of he made all sorts of wild claims, but his dubious "proof" never seemed to hold up to all the scrutiny. I don't think anyone ever actually saw his VX.

Ldub
08/16/2006, 03:07 PM
Can anyone remember the thread where the guy had modified his vx to run 13's in the 1/4?

</slightly related, thread hijack>

Ck. out all posts by Evorent...I believe you'll find what you're looking for.

Commando
08/16/2006, 05:04 PM
Hi everyone. I have been weighing my options as far as putting a supercharger on my '00 Proton. I have driven it for 6,000 of its 86,000 total miles, so its still pretty new to me. Its been trouble free, uses less than a half quart of oil every thousand miles and averages 17.5 mpg combined. Haven't any compression figures, but all seems well in the engine compartment. Is putting a supercharger on an engine with this sort of milage advisable, or am I asking for reliability problems? Would I be better of going with intake and exhaust mods for now and worry about the s/c when rebuild time comes along? Opinions, anyone?