PDA

View Full Version : Interested in getting a VX.

wutanec
08/04/2006, 07:12 AM
Hi. I've been looking for an reliable SUV or a Truck. And then i thought about Vehicross. I wanted one of these few years back but it was too expensive. Now I can afford them since they got much cheaper. So my question is, Are these cars reliable? a good daily driver? how good is the dealer service? and is it hard to get parts for this car? Thanks a lot and i hope to join the club soon :).
btw if anyone of you is selling one around michigan, let me know.

biju
08/04/2006, 07:28 AM
Reliable? – Yes, but it has its ‘quirks’.
DD? – Sure, if you don’t mind your daily dose of bleeding kidneys.
Dealer Service? – Who takes their VX to a dealer?
Parts? – Depends. Some parts/accessories are already being discontinued. However, others are shared from the Trooper platform, etc... So it’s kind of a yes/no answer.

Best of luck finding one – and keep us posted. That way, when you get one, we can hound you incessantly about coming out to Moab in 2007! :p

-biju.

geshaw30
08/04/2006, 08:28 AM
seek out the "search" function
________
GAY UNDERWEAR (http://www.****tube.com/categories/643/underwear/videos/1)

VehiGAZ
08/04/2006, 10:00 AM
I'll throw in my two cents on the subject...

Reliable - Yes, but get yourself an aftermarket extended warranty if you can. My $3k warrantee paid for itself already.

Daily driver - Absolutely! It's a DD for most of us here. The roughness of the ride is proportional to your local road quality. The VX is smooth on smooth roads, but it does amplify the crappiness of crappy roads.

Dealer service - Isuzu dealers generally do not stock VX parts, or for any of their models for that matter, as they are barely in the consumer market at this point. My dealer visits requiring part replacement go like this... I bring it in, they diagnose, they order parts, I take it home, parts come in 3-5 days later, I bring it back, they fix-fix. Kind of a PITA, but not a horrible inconvenience. As for the quality of service, every dealer is totally different, so your results may vary. Mine is great to me. Others hate their local dealer. It just depends.

Parts are readily available (they're just not at the dealer), and the good peeps on this board can help you track ANYTHING down in no time when the dealer can't be bothered to shake a tail feather. The supply of accessories, on the other hand (e.g., the roof rack) has started to dry up recently. You can find them on eBay, but then you're bidding for them against the rest of the VX community. Oh well...

It's a great truck to have - superbly capable and visually striking. As LBJ would say, "This dog can hunt!"

Good luck!

kpaske
08/04/2006, 10:29 AM
Reliable/Daily Driver- Yes, if you learn to MAINTAIN and repair it yourself.

Dealer Service - Only as a last resort. My 99 has only seen the dealership once in 7 years, and that was for a diagnostic test. I still did the repairs myself. I couldn't wait for my warranty to end because that's when open season for mods began. ;Db;

Parts - Most parts can be ordered by telephone and even shipped overnight from St.Charles Isuzu. Aftermarket parts are subjective - some are easy to find and others are very elusive. Now that the vehicle is almost 10 years since its initial JDM production, there are actually a surprising number of aftermarket accessories for such a unique vehicle.

In my experience and in my OPINION, the VX is most suitable for hobbyists like many of us. I wasn't really much of a mechanic until after I'd owned my VX for a few years. It was the VX and this forum that really turned me into a true hobbyist. There are many people here that will help you learn to maintain and repair your VX by yourself if you are willing to listen and experiment and give back to the community. So many people helped me learn what little I know now so I'm always eager to help out someone whose shoes I was in only a few years ago. The bottom line for me though is if you have a good mechanic that you trust who will help you maintain the VX then you can probably get away with no learning how to do it yourself. Heck, that's probably the better option for all the time and money I've spent working on mine. But if you think you're going to have a dealership do all your work....... GOOD LUCK!!!! ;Db;

etlsport
08/04/2006, 10:52 AM
i think the VX as a daily driver also depends on where you drive.. I use mine as a daily driver, but plan to buy somethin smaller soon for my commute and use the VX for everything else... this is mainly because of the rear visibility issue, i drive 76 and 95 around philadelphia on my commute, so theres lots of merging and lane changing in heavy traffic.. ive gotten used to it so dont have real big issues with it anymore, i know the corners very well, but that combined with 19mpg its probably worth just buying a little beater car to go back and forth to work/school...

that said.. i love my vx and plan on keeping it til the wheels fall off.. then ill fix it and keep it a little longer.

vxDAKINECHICvx
08/04/2006, 10:53 AM
Just wanted to put in my WELCOME to the VX community!

The VX is a great DD as I use mine to commute to and from work Mon thru Fri, and up in the mountains on the weekends. As was spoken earlier, though, it can be super smooth for an SUV except on torn up roads in which you can feel every little thing like in a jeep. Keep in mind though that this vehicle is rare so being able to find numerous accessories for it can be a super pain, but the guys here are definitely out to help you out in finding things if they can. This is a great community to be a part of, so welcome again!

crosstrainer
08/05/2006, 10:22 AM
Hi. I've been looking for an reliable SUV or a Truck. And then i thought about Vehicross. I wanted one of these few years back but it was too expensive. Now I can afford them since they got much cheaper. So my question is, Are these cars reliable? a good daily driver? how good is the dealer service? and is it hard to get parts for this car? Thanks a lot and i hope to join the club soon :).
btw if anyone of you is selling one around michigan, let me know.

I have a 2001 ebony for sale, $11,000.00, let me know if you are interested and I will send photos. If the Explorer goes first I'm keeping it though.

Crosstrainer