PDA

View Full Version : Update on Morgan-tec S/C kit testing

morgan-tec
07/30/2006, 05:44 PM
Well i have it done and tuned and am very happy with the testing i have done so far. I have yet to get it on the dyno but it is a lot stronger all the way through the powerband, and especially in boost. I am limited to 5psi for now since i have to figure a way to crack the ecu to lengthen the injector pulse. I had a smaller pulley on but a 5.2psi i trip three codes and the ecu kills the engine into reduced power mode which limits me to 1500rpms. Anyways here are a bunch of pics. For those of you who don't know i am using a Powerdyne BD-11A blower with a custom machined Vortec 3.33" pulley, an HKS SSQV blow off valve, a belt tensioner off a ford aerostar and idler pulleys off a 6.0L powerstroke, and a K&N for a jet ski. I designed, fabricated, welded, machined, and powdercoated everything else. As for gas milage the worst tank i have gotten to date i average 16.8mpg, that is basically my foot on the floor and in boost all the time. The best in city tank was 22.4mpg and the best highway was 27.6mpg, all these are according to the incar computer in the dash. Let me know what ya think.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/100_1673.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/100_1670.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/100_1666.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/100_1678.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/100_1667.jpg

morgan-tec
07/30/2006, 05:48 PM
Here are a few more pics:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/100_1676.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/100_1674.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/100_1669.jpg

Tone
07/30/2006, 06:33 PM
That looks HOT! Are you sure you can't leave the stock fan in place?

morgan-tec
07/30/2006, 09:37 PM
The stock fan would hit the crank pulley extension or i guess it could be shortened a few inches to clear it. But i have had no problems with my electric fan and we have been really hot this summer a week at a time in the high 90s into the 100s.

Ruflyf
07/31/2006, 05:10 AM
As usual you did beautiful work. I understand you are testing the axiom, but can the mpg be that different, I dont think I could touch 20mpg on the highway. Is it possible the onboard numbers are wrong similar to what I believe Tone mentioned in a previous post about the scanguage not being accurate on s/c'd engines? What was the mpg before the s/c was added?

morgan-tec
07/31/2006, 06:42 AM
Well the mpg #s check out with simple division of trip miles divided by my 15 gallon tank. The thing you need to remember is i picked the powerdyne because of the impeller design which actually grabs the air and pulls it in. So even when i am running in vacume the air intake is more efficient than before. If you get a chance check out powerdynes site and read up on their impeller design. AS for mpg before s/c i averaged around 18mpg city. My intake adn exhaust kits kicked that up about 3mpg over stock.

kpaske
07/31/2006, 08:21 AM
That looks REALLY NICE. One question though, how the heck do you keep your engine compartment so CLEAN?? Mine never looks that good!

Oh, and one more question... when are you going to install one for me?? I'm thinking a flat black or gray powdercoat with blue trim would look lovely in my 99 Ebony VX ;Db;

fuzzy
08/01/2006, 12:10 PM
Nice looking black oil cap! :thumbup:

creeg
08/01/2006, 12:24 PM
That looks REALLY NICE. One question though, how the heck do you keep your engine compartment so CLEAN?? Mine never looks that good!

Oh, and one more question... when are you going to install one for me?? I'm thinking a flat black or gray powdercoat with blue trim would look lovely in my 99 Ebony VX ;Db;

Yeah, if you could provide some advice on how you keep the engine compartment so clean, Id appreciate it too.

VCrossfan
08/01/2006, 01:02 PM
Hat's off Morgan...very very nice...

Tone
08/01/2006, 01:41 PM
Scan Gauge will be accurate on any engine IF tire circumferance is taken into account and that difference plugged into it for it to calculate off of. A stock computer would NOT be able to handle that adjustment without recalibrating the speedo or ECU. If Mike is using the truck odo to calculate mileage and has changed tire diameter, then it is not a correct calculation (unless that percentage change has been figured into the equation). His before number might be higher or lower than stated and it is very dependent upon altitude, heat, and driving style.

The most important part of all this is, if you are considering a SC, MPG doesn't matter. You've already bought the wrong vehicle for economy and I promise you with the additional power the SC offers, you will use MORE fuel - any time you step into it, it's going to richen the mixture. Unless you drive it slow and then that begs the question of WHY are you getting it?

Knigh7s
08/01/2006, 05:01 PM
The most important part of all this is, if you are considering a SC, MPG doesn't matter. You've already bought the wrong vehicle for economy and I promise you with the additional power the SC offers, you will use MORE fuel - any time you step into it, it's going to richen the mixture. Unless you drive it slow and then that begs the question of WHY are you getting it?

^ I'd have to second that! ^

Morgan, This kit looks pretty awsome. The craftsmanship put into it is well done. One question though, am i stuck with just that one SC considering your bolt patterns on your mounting bracket or are they somewhat the same design? just curious. Thanks

morgan-tec
08/01/2006, 07:35 PM
Nice looking black oil cap! :thumbup:

Thanks man, how is your yellow one?

morgan-tec
08/01/2006, 07:55 PM
Okay my 22s are 0.96% larger in diameter than stock and that was taken into account when i caculated the mpg. But as tone stated you dont supercharge for gas milage. I was just posting the results that i got on my axiom while testing. Which were much better than i expected them to be.

As for engine cleaning, i use a good degreser and a good soap down with a nice rinse. Remember i show this a lot during the summer, almost every weekend for the last two months so it stays clean all summer. Ask Fuzzy about my little engine cleaning secrets. After i installed my intake kit on his Vx i cleaned his engine in less then five minutes and it was a mojor improvment.

My specific kit is designed to use the Powerdyne blower but, it could be changed to fit any # of blowers. The only thing is that the pulley size as well as belt length would also have to be changed, which is a pain in the *****.

Ruflyf
08/02/2006, 06:31 AM
Okay my 22s are 0.96% larger in diameter than stock and that was taken into account when i caculated the mpg. But as tone stated you dont supercharge for gas milage.

I agree, I was merely stating an observation on your fuel economy that happened to impress me, considering it being s/c'd and all.

deton8r
09/02/2006, 11:21 AM
Wow, looks great! Beautiful work on the intake tube and brackets.

This is just a suggestion but you might want to move your MAF by throttle body after the BOV. Using a blow off valve after the MAF can really throw off your AF ratio. The engine won't see all the air the MAF is basing the fuel curves on. I swapped out a Bosch bypass valve for a BOV on my Powerdyne s/c truck and it caused issues. I ended up going back to the bypass valve.

BTW, what codes were you throwing with the smaller pulley?

Mark B
09/02/2006, 12:15 PM
Looks great. I envy you guys able to do this kind of work.
I like to tinnker on my VX but it is limited to the simple tasks.

morgan-tec
09/02/2006, 08:56 PM
The only problem is that our MAF is not calibrated for forced induction. It will only meter correctly in a suck through configuration. Anyways i have no issues with the current setup. I dont remember the codes, but they were all MAF related to to much air.

Wow, looks great! Beautiful work on the intake tube and brackets.

This is just a suggestion but you might want to move your MAF by throttle body after the BOV. Using a blow off valve after the MAF can really throw off your AF ratio. The engine won't see all the air the MAF is basing the fuel curves on. I swapped out a Bosch bypass valve for a BOV on my Powerdyne s/c truck and it caused issues. I ended up going back to the bypass valve.

BTW, what codes were you throwing with the smaller pulley?

Chopper
09/03/2006, 07:01 AM
Just a question,in no way intended as a criticisim, the work is excelent...I understand the OEM style black pulleys- work in progress. Is there some reason for not finishing the casing? I've seem them chromed, but never powdered. Is it a heat transfer issue, or a matter of incompatable materials? I'm asking because I am fairly ignorant in both powder coating, and forced induction as well. Once again, nice looking stuff_ keep it up. Wayne

volume311
09/03/2006, 12:11 PM
Just a question,in no way intended as a criticisim, the work is excelent...I understand the OEM style black pulleys- work in progress. Is there some reason for not finishing the casing? I've seem them chromed, but never powdered. Is it a heat transfer issue, or a matter of incompatable materials? I'm asking because I am fairly ignorant in both powder coating, and forced induction as well. Once again, nice looking stuff_ keep it up. Wayne

Some powerdynes had issues with killing bearings because of heat. If it was powdercoated it would get even hotter inside, atleast this way it cools some.

morgan-tec
09/03/2006, 08:22 PM

No worries, to answer your ?s. Under the hood i am ll about the color keyed parts, not chrome and flash. Also if i were to paowercoat the housing i would have to completly take apart te blower and that is a lot of work for the end result. When you powdercoat you have to bake the part with powder on it at 400 degress for a specific amout of time. This would smoke the bearings as well as the internal belt.

Chopper
09/08/2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the answer. I agree completly about color-keyed vs. chromed. I was thinking, white housing and pulleys would be tight. wayne

UtahVXer
09/15/2006, 01:58 AM
When can I get one?

morgan-tec
09/15/2006, 01:50 PM
When can I get one?

Hopefully from me when i am done with the testing period and get one tested in a vx engine bay.

Knigh7s
01/27/2007, 02:13 AM
Hey MT, how's the testing going with the S/C? Have you been able to hit up the dyno? Are you still going to sell a VX kit?

Sorry for all the questions? Just curious and interested on getting a kit.

BTW, your work is awsome!

etlsport
01/27/2007, 05:12 AM
i exchanged a few emails with mike in early january, he told me he was moving his shop, so he was pretty much shut down for awhile, i guess now is about the time he said he'd have things going again (he said a few weeks in the first week of jan)

Knigh7s
01/27/2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the update etlsport. Was wondering what happened. I noticed he does log in every now and then though.

morgan-tec
01/28/2007, 07:17 AM
Hey guys, well here is the update. I have taken a new peimary job that does not leave me the time to run Morgan-tec like it used to. Also i was planning on moving to a new location but that did not work out. So to be honest i am not sure when or if i will be back up and running. I have been running Morgan-tec as a second job for a long time now with the intent to go full time when the demand supported it. I can not take a chance on it since i have my family to support. But thank you so much for all your support and interest. If my situition changes or i have the oppertunity to get rolling again i will and you guys will be the first to know.