PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Re-Chroming

rowhard
07/29/2006, 09:26 AM
Well, My VX like most here has the chrome lifting problem on the inside of the wheels. Here's my problem, I like the OEM wheel design and am seriously considering having them Re-Chromed. Has anyone done this before (with this or any other wheel) and been happy with the longevity and finish? What was the cost? Can you recommend any chrome shops on the left coast. Doesn't seem to be any chrome shop here in the Pacific Northwest.

Ldub
07/29/2006, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but when I had my acci. a while back, my r/r rim was flat spotted.
The ins. co. wouldn't spring for a new rim as they have had good results having them straightened.
My body shop guy, who I know & trust, verified this.
Anyhoo, I believe it was sent to Keystone for straightening & came back perfect. They may be your best bet for re-chroming.
Give a couple calls to body shops in your area to ck. on this, or maybe google Keystone ?

rowhard
07/29/2006, 10:31 AM
39 million hits for Keystone on google, can you give me another hint?

Ldub
07/29/2006, 01:30 PM
It's Keystone automotive (www.keystone-auto.com/) click on body parts, then wheel exchage.
Looks like they do refurbishment on alloy wheels.
They mention powder coating etc., but make no mention of re-chroming.
Still, might be a good place to start.

Triathlete
07/29/2006, 02:03 PM
They mention powder coating etc., but make no mention of re-chroming.

MMMmmmm! Powder coating! :_drool:
Black would look great!

Body shops or auto customizers/fabricators are a good source for info since they deal with plating shops in their lin of work on a regular basis and should have some contact info. I'm sure ther is some place close to your area.

Ruflyf
07/29/2006, 03:36 PM
I agree with triathlete, powercoating would make for a twist on a nice rim design, if not black maybe the color of your vx. And from what I hear (i am far from being an expert in powdercoating). Many colors from gloss to flat is available now.

rowhard
07/29/2006, 05:58 PM
powdercoating is a option, but as I said, I like the OEM wheel with the chrome finish.

etlsport
07/29/2006, 06:14 PM
ive never had wheels rechromed, but from what i hear from a few friends who have is that the most expensive part of it is getting the old chrome removed because its apparently a very enviornmentally unfriendly procedure because of the chemicals involved

kpaske
07/30/2006, 06:34 AM
...its apparently a very enviornmentally unfriendly procedure because of the chemicals involved...Which would explain why you can't find anyone in the eco-happy Pacific NW ;Db; Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for you, but if in your search you find anyone in this area that does powdercoating for a good price, please share the info.