PDA

View Full Version : TOD vs. Spare tire

Offroad vx
07/29/2006, 07:52 AM
The other day I exprienced my first flat with the VX. Not knowing until reading some posts that the useless spare needs to go on the front, I put it on the rear and drove about 6 blocks. Yikes! Mr. TOD wents nuts. Made it to the gas station and put air in the flat one and made it home. Now everytime I let my foot off the gas I get this whining noise from tranny or transfer case or somewhere else I don't know of. It make a little noise when accelerating but mostly when I let off the gas.
I've read some posts that say it messes with the TOD but how do I fix it? Help!!

Joe_Black
07/29/2006, 02:34 PM
The outer diameter of the spare is smaller than stock which throws the relative ratios between front and rear into conflict. Basically the sensors don't know how to cope and you build up torque in the driveline. For limited use it's not critical, just freaks things out as you've witnessed.

I tried to shoot a video of the TOD display during use of the spare once to demonstrate what it does, but unfortunately it didn't come out well. :(

In any case, just disconnect your battery's negative terminal for at least 30 minutes to reset the ECU. That should remedy things for you.

Offroad vx
07/30/2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the input, I figured someone knew what to do. I hoped it would be something easy!