PDA

View Full Version : Cladding

vxDAKINECHICvx
07/28/2006, 02:23 PM
I just bought my VX. The cladding is grey and I would like it to be the black that I see on most of them. Is there a way to change that out or possibly paint it? I have seen some painted but it seems bodyshops here in CO won't do it or explain how. Help GUYS!?!

Zorak
07/28/2006, 03:09 PM
Try a site search under "cladding"?

10 pages of posts including the recent Flood Restora chronicle, guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your (Recaro) seat :)

Y33TREKker
07/28/2006, 03:28 PM
I like the new Turtle Wax Ice for it's ease of application, but so far I've had to re-apply after each new rainfall to get rid of streaks. I'm surprised it streaks like it does given the way the water beads so well at the carwash, but maybe it's because when it rains, the water is also cleaning dirt and dust out of the cover I keep on the vehicle since it's parked outside.

The actual wax seems to work best for the cladding, and the spray detailer makes quick work of it when I want to shine up the paint.

Nice color choice! ;)

SPAZZ
07/28/2006, 03:37 PM
bedliner...Rhino liner...Linex...

you won't go back or be sorry..I'm not and get 100% compliments

johnnyapollo
07/28/2006, 04:44 PM
I apply Maguire's Endurance about once per month (after a wash). It gives it that black, glossy luster and hides any streaks an abrasions.

-- John

Joe_Black
07/28/2006, 06:37 PM
Another "thumbs up" for the Meguiar's Endurance. By far the easiest to use for the best results. Put it on with a terry-sponge applicator pad, wait about an hour then wipe it down with an old t-shirt. Don't get much easier than that!

geshaw30
07/29/2006, 05:32 AM
The gray your VX is suffering from is simply long term neglect. With a lot of elbow grease the black can be brought back. Take some free dime store advice from those of us who have been owners a long time- use the grape smelling Maguire's Endurance. It???s simple to use and works as well or better than any other cleaner. Make sure to keep handy the ???old t-shirt??? Joe mentions, it???s great for touch ups. You can find the purple colored gel at most auto parts stores.

BTW- as mentioned, a search function on ???cladding??? will provide you days of reading material
________
Bdsm Female (http://www.****tube.com/categories/236/female/videos/1)

vxDAKINECHICvx
12/16/2006, 02:40 PM
Meguires Endurance is a life saver. Just bought it today, applied it, and the cladding looks great!! Just want to recommend it for any others who's cladding has that fading look.

Bimati
12/16/2006, 02:46 PM
"Back to Black" worked good for a while, but "Son of a Gun" is my favorite...for the tires and all black bits too!

Bim

Joe Isuzu
01/04/2007, 03:41 PM
OK, I went looking for Maguire's Endurance today and the only one I found is for tire shine/protectant? Is this one and the same with what is being referenced here? Thanks!

k4tmc
01/04/2007, 04:51 PM
I have just tried Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel (orange plastic bottle with foam applicator) based on a recommendation from VXCrazy. It has held up for several weeks now, keeping the clading a nice black color with no streaks. It looks a little streaky when first applied. But after a few hours, the streaks go away leaving the clading with a nice "wet black" look. The wet look remained for several days. Got a lot of good comments on the appearance.

I have not tried the Meguiars Endurance yet. I did get a bottle from WalMart the last time I was there since the local auto parts store did not have that specific Meguiars product. The plastic bottle is a grape color and is called Endurance High Gloss Long Lasting Tire Protectant Gel. I assume that this is what others are recommending.

Henry

nfpgasmask
01/04/2007, 04:55 PM
Trim Shine all the way for me. Its cheap, and with all that cladding you go through it. Its only like $3.50 for a can, and it works really well and can be applied in about 4-5 minutes.

Love it.

Bart

WILLY
01/05/2007, 01:47 AM
I think im going to rhino liner mine this spring,or paint i dunno yet. :rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
01/05/2007, 08:51 AM
You guys are nuts. I love my cladding :p

Bart

geshaw30
01/05/2007, 09:24 AM
Yes Joe- that's the stuff. It's purple and (you'll look foolish attempting to confirm this next part).... it smells like grape soda.
Wipe on...use clean rag to wipe off..and keep the "applicator rag" handy for touch ups.
________
The amazing race dicussion (http://www.tv-gossip.com/amazing-race/)

maxw
01/05/2007, 09:52 AM
I have found this product to be absolutely the best. No running after rain ,stays on forever after car washes and revitalizes the cladding. I just glop it on and smooth it out a bit with a soft cloth.
Here's the link to Auto Glym.
http://www.autoglym.co.uk/frame2.html

Anita
01/05/2007, 10:24 AM
Max, there are several products for bumpers/plastic. Which one do you use?

BTW, I tried Meguires grape jelly and I found a couple things I didnt like. One was that stuff attracts dust like crazy. Another, was I had to apply and check and double-check that it was on evenly. Since so many loved Meguires I wanted to try it out. It does look great when you finally get it on - and it lasts pretty well. But I'll stick with my Zainos. :)

JHarris1385
01/05/2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah MAX what do you use on that site???

Mark B
01/05/2007, 04:18 PM
I used Mothers Back to Black on my 99 Amigo and it looks pretty good.
I found Maguires Endurance in Big Lots for $ 2.00 a bottle.
I bought some to try.

IndianaVX
01/06/2007, 08:11 AM
im a maguires fan, smell like grapes after im done, and a little tip here, not sure ive seen anywhere else, but i use those tire wipe sponge things. they have a curved surface for product, and a "handle" made of some stiffer foam. makes spreading product easier,and evenly, has nice "points" that can get into that 1/4" gap between the body panel, and cladding......dreamy....and they are cheap! inital product spreading takes about 15 min.

that is all

maxw
01/06/2007, 10:33 AM
Hi Guys....sorry about that.

I use the Bumper Care.

It takes a bit of work, but all scratches and any marks are rapidly hidden and the entire cladding looks new. It's water resistance is great too.
Good luck.
Max.

Cobrajet
01/06/2007, 04:19 PM
I just treated my cladding today with Turtle Wax ICE. It's not as thick as Endurance so it goes on easier, and doesn't attract the dust. My cladding isn't as weathered as most so I don't need much to make mine look like new.

Ldub
01/06/2007, 04:52 PM
I agree, ICE is my favorite so far...goes on easily, lasts longer than anything else I've used, & a little goes a long way.

Also, here's a thought on products attracting dust, the more you have to rub to get a product to look good, the more static electricity build up there's going to be, which is going to attract dust...this came to my attention when I was applying Back to Black (before I started using ICE) & the hair on my arms was standing at attention any time I got near the cladding...my conclusion ?...ICE good, less rubbing.

JHarris1385
01/06/2007, 04:57 PM
I have actually sprayed a thin layer of static guard on mine before applying my shine....Cant remember the name but its made by turtle wax and it goes on my tires and cladding with minimal streaking.

Triathlete
01/06/2007, 05:07 PM
I use Mequires Natural Shine Viynl and Rubber Protectant...makes the cladding black, doesn't attract the dust, and lasts...but isn't all shiney! I prefer the flat look!

I'm on the left...
http://shutter03.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/01/00C/74/2A/10/D0/RPHl4vhHbCMWhRWPlrNsVmYhlb7rS6cG0300.jpg :thumbup:
Yes, mine is clean from time to time! :rolly:

IndianaVX
01/06/2007, 07:20 PM
billy,
did you plan on the chair having a "VX" symolized in it??
you may have given a reason to change products. i like the flatter "shine" really looks great.
thanks for the info,
david

Triathlete
01/06/2007, 07:35 PM
Nope, the chair just "happened"...didn't even notice 'till you mentioned it.

I have found this product to apply best if you use a slightly wet rag and apply the product to the rag then rub it onto the cladding.

Joe Isuzu
01/13/2007, 03:25 PM
I have just tried Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel (orange plastic bottle with foam applicator) based on a recommendation from VXCrazy. It has held up for several weeks now, keeping the clading a nice black color with no streaks.
Henry
normally I go with meguire's with respect to detailing but I tried the armor all version and when using the applicator it's very easy to apply, I especially like the fact that I'm not worrying about getting any of this stuff on the paint, so thumbs up to the armor all version