PDA

View Full Version : How to uninstall headunit? Cd changer?

VXD959
07/22/2006, 03:43 PM
I'm probably being just lazy by asking this, but it might save me some time and effort...

Does anyone have intructions on how to uninstall the headunit? What parts/pieces to remove first? Anything special to be careful about?

Same thing with the cd changer (is not working...)

Thanks!

SPAZZ
07/22/2006, 04:06 PM
tools
1) phillips
2) your hands tight squeeze
do not hit the air levers and undo them as you might not get them sinchronized again.

1) take out ash tray
2) pull plastic piece out in middle
3) undo all philips screws holding stereo, cd changer, in.
4) unsnap wire hooking stereo and cd changer together remove. this part is the one that you might hit the air control levers . go slow. 5 minutes. 10 max depending on how slow you go.

nfpgasmask
07/22/2006, 08:22 PM
Its pretty straight forward. There are seven screws holding the main dash piece in. Then the little plastic piece around the CD changer. And remove the ashtray first as SPAZZ said.

If I remember correctly, the worst part is the wire from security system. For the life of me I could not separate these plugs (which allows you to fully take away the main dash trim). You'll probably have the same trouble. I am actually going back in my dash tomorrow, and hopefully this time around I can muster the strength to get these plugs undone. Its just really a difficult angle to get large hands into, and they are together hella tight. Once you get the dash trim pieces off, the rest is cake.

Bart

cyronman
02/01/2007, 04:01 PM
If I remember correctly, the worst part is the wire from security system. For the life of me I could not separate these plugs (which allows you to fully take away the main dash trim). You'll probably have the same trouble. I am actually going back in my dash tomorrow, and hopefully this time around I can muster the strength to get these plugs undone. Its just really a difficult angle to get large hands into, and they are together hella tight. Once you get the dash trim pieces off, the rest is cake.

Bart

Hey Bart,
how did this turn out?
I'm doing this Saturday and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks

nfpgasmask
02/01/2007, 04:14 PM
I still have yet to actually fully remove the upper dash trim because of the damn plugs that are connected to the security light. I suppose the quick and dirty way to do it would be to cut the two wires and then retwist and tape them back together when you are done. So what I do it just take it off and then kind of tuck it vertically along the right side of the steering wheel. This gave me enough room, awkward as all hell, but enough room. You will see what I mean :) Just be carefull taking off the trim and don't force anything. I would hate to have to buy a replacement. Other than that, its cake. Just a few screws and the head unit is out...

Bart

PS - Oh yeah, try not to drop any screws into/behind the dash...I did, and it took me forever to find it.

Hey Bart,
how did this turn out?
I'm doing this Saturday and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks

etlsport
02/01/2007, 04:17 PM
yea i clipped those wires and added in quick release connectors in their place (also replaced my led with a green one cause its more unique) and added about 6" of wire... it makes working behind the dash a jillion times easier

cyronman
02/01/2007, 04:21 PM
Sweet.

Actually the head unit will stay put for another month or two until the Sony deck that I want is released.
As far as the CD changer...
Am I to understand then that this can come out in just a matter of screws and minutes?
Just loosen the lower dash and YANK?

nfpgasmask
02/01/2007, 04:36 PM
The changer is even easier.

1) Take out ashtray

2) Pull off bottom dash trim

After that, everything should be obvious. I think I had to take off the plastic cover for all the electrical that is under the lower trim, but I can't remember. I pulled mine in minutes.

You should have no trouble, just be gentle with the lower dash trim.

Bart

Sweet.

Actually the head unit will stay put for another month or two until the Sony deck that I want is released.
As far as the CD changer...
Am I to understand then that this can come out in just a matter of screws and minutes?
Just loosen the lower dash and YANK?

rowhard
02/01/2007, 05:15 PM
Hang in there for a few minutes. I'm having Crutchfields email a Mastersheet pdf file that will step you through it. Will also donate/send it to Scott for inclusion here on the manual download link along with the Electrical and workshop manual I sent him.

Knigh7s
02/01/2007, 05:26 PM
I've already linked several of them here (http://vx.lobbynetworks.net/how-tos/basic-aftermarket-radio-install/) .

1999-2001 Isuzu Vehicross MasterSheet
Wire Harness Wire Diagram
Component Speaker Install

Posted it on another thread several months back also.

rowhard
02/01/2007, 05:38 PM
Great, thats the one. Let's see if we can coax Scott into including it to the download section here.

Mark Miller
02/01/2007, 05:41 PM
Knigh7s,
Thanks for having that posted.
I have the sheets in hand,
just need to get my wife out of my VX.

Knigh7s
02/01/2007, 05:50 PM
Knigh7s,
Thanks for having that posted.
I have the sheets in hand,
just need to get my wife out of my VX.

Your welcome! =P

ya, ppl tend to cling to the vx for some odd reason.

cyronman
02/01/2007, 08:20 PM
Hang in there for a few minutes. I'm having Crutchfields email a Mastersheet pdf file that will step you through it. Will also donate/send it to Scott for inclusion here on the manual download link along with the Electrical and workshop manual I sent him.

Wow...you are ON it!
So was I actually, I had them throw one of those in with my order.
Thanks for thinking though.
The support from people on this forum is amazing!

Cy

Ldub
02/01/2007, 08:39 PM
Would it be possible for one of you to download those Crutchfield pages & email them to me?
I'm getting a "download cannot continue due to problem with download instructions" message when I try. :confused:

Thanks in advance

biju
02/01/2007, 08:44 PM
yea i clipped those wires and added in quick release connectors in their place (also replaced my led with a green one cause its more unique) and added about 6" of wire... it makes working behind the dash a jillion times easier

etl: did the exact same thing, and highly suggest to others if you're modding in/around the dash to do the same. it really does make things easier doesn't it?...! well done.

-biju.

rowhard
02/01/2007, 09:10 PM
Ldub, you have mail

Ldub
02/01/2007, 09:44 PM
Many thanks rowhard, I appreciate the effort, but for some reason my computin' machine has problems digesting/downloading pdf's. :mad:

I'm sure my level of computer knowlege (nearly Amish :rolleyes: ) doesn't help matters either.

Thanks for trying though...

Raque Thomas
02/02/2007, 03:17 AM

Bart

Use one of those precision screwdrivers to pry under the clip on the connector for the security wire, it will pop right apart. It takes a little practice, but once you get it in the right position, it's a snap.

nfpgasmask
02/02/2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah, you definitely could separate them, but its so awkward to get my fat hands in there...

Personally, I have completed all of the behind dash work I plan to do, so hopefully I won't have a need to go back there again....

Bart

Use one of those precision screwdrivers to pry under the clip on the connector for the security wire, it will pop right apart. It takes a little practice, but once you get it in the right position, it's a snap.

Knigh7s
02/02/2007, 02:15 PM
Here are the files once again. It seems my host is running a bit slow these days. So here is a direct link to the files.

rowhard
02/02/2007, 03:29 PM
Ldub, it might be your Internet server also. If your not in a big rush and you want to send me your snail mail address, I'll shove them onto a cd and mail them to you. I also have the 2000 Workshop manual, 1999 Electrical manual and the parts listed if interested. You do have adobe reader correct?

SkidPlate
02/03/2007, 07:24 AM
for some reason my computin' machine has problems digesting/downloading pdf's. :mad:

Try upgrading to Adobe Reader 8 (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html), I've seen it fix several browser/pdf problems.

Thanks for the Crutchfield docs.