PDA

View Full Version : valve train noise

steelzeus
07/21/2006, 08:21 PM
my vx sounds like a friggin diesel when at idle also if I get it like 3/4 throttle it sounds like a fast clicking noise does anyone know where I can get tappets to adjust the valves I can find everything but them.

thanks mitch

Joe_Black
07/22/2006, 06:23 AM
You need shims (that fit into the bucket tappets) to adjust valve clearance and it's typically a dealer part although I believe there's a cross to Toyota shims from the late model Supra. Contact the dealer, get a part number then check with your local parts place.

Tobert
07/22/2006, 06:33 AM
Some people here have had some success with changing oil type/viscosity in quieting the engine down, too. I switched to Chevron 15w40 for the summer and it quieted it right down. Others have said that the Mobil-1 SUV formula available in the 5-quart jugs at Wal-Mart does a good job, too. Might be worth a try.

Ldub
07/22/2006, 06:51 AM
Although this doesn't sound like it's the same problem, another scource of a "diesel like" sound is sometimes caused by a loose nut (22mm) where the tube connects the exhaust to the EGR valve. (pass. side, top rear intake manifold area)
Not as likely as valve train noise & more commonly associated with supercharged applications, but a possibility.