PDA

View Full Version : Anybody jetski?

thedutchguy
07/18/2006, 02:34 AM
With almost tropical temps here in the Netherlands I was thinking of buying a jetski.
Anybody on this forum have experience/tips on what to buy?

THNX

XCross69
07/18/2006, 07:58 AM
I had a Yamaha Waverunner. I looked at many and decided the Yamaha was the best. Loved it, had no trouble with it, and the VX pulled it great :p

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/357vx.jpg

Joe_Black
07/18/2006, 10:21 AM
2nd for the WaveRunner. I did IJSBA racing for a couple years and ran an original WaveRunner which never had a failure of any sort. My decision to purchase it was based on input from a friend who was a service manager for two large powersports shops. We have over 100 local lakes, not to mention both the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico within a 100 miles each. So these shops carried all the major brands (Bombardier, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha) and did quite a bit of volume and service. Of each, Yamaha had the lowest incidence of service while Bombardier had the highest. Keep in mind that that's not necessarily because Bombarider was bad (although they have had service issues) but that the Rotax engines they use were tuned to a much higher level to achieve the performance they did. That in itself equals more maintenance. The Yamahas run well, are very robust and can be serviced almost anywhere very inexpensively. My personal second choice would be Kawaski for the same reasons.

Whatever you get, just take a look out there to see how much service there is available in your area.

Tone
07/18/2006, 01:49 PM
I raced IJSBA for 10 yrs and walked away with overall 1st in Stock and Modified in TX running a Kawasaki. I have 2 Ultra150s and love them. Most rental places use Yamaha as they seem to be the most durable. 4 strokes are replacing 2 strokes for environmental reasons but I have no experience with them. I've ridden SeaDoos as well and had no problems but they were harder to work on - Kawa seems to be the easiest IMHO.

AndyC
07/19/2006, 05:40 AM
I too have had them for years. Never competed in the IJSBA but had my Yamaha shipped out to Lake Havasu a few times with Big Red Racing :)
What a blast those years were. My last time out was 2000 and I had my HX there. -- Copper Canyon, Sand bar, Mud Shark, Cocomos, Fish's desert party -- some good times :) Tone & Joe you guys ever race or go to the Finals? I got to know alot of people there and might have meet you if you were there :)

As for choices I have no idea now adays - almost all of them are 4 stokers. But in my case I never had any probems with the Yamahas.(Raider 1100 & GP800) My HX was modified and the motor blew, but I was able to get SeaDoo to chip in on the repairs through their Customer Relations Department. it was only a few days out of warranty - piston ring went and took out everything.
Well the Yamaha's are gone, the HX is in the garage sitting - just to fun of a ski to sell and I now have a SeaDoo Speedster Jet boat with the Mercury 240 EFI motor that I use alot :) So I've converted alittle :)

Either way you'll have fun with what every brand you get.

Joe_Black
07/19/2006, 06:18 AM
I just ran whatever was in reasonable driving distance from me, never got that competitive. It was just a blast to run a sanctioned event. The first year, 1991, I ran bone-stock then upgraded the exhaust, impeller and intake grate for the second year. Then I got into coastal stuff like wave-punching which was awesome in the lighter 'ski like I had. Talk about getting air! :) I had a bad habit of getting about a mile off shore and running swells, but by that time had a lot (probably too much!) confidence that the Yamaha would get me back in.

Bulldoggie
07/19/2006, 10:33 AM
I am a Jetski GOD! I have a 650 kawasaki stand-up model, and I have more tricks than the freestylers on ESPN.http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/P1010035_1.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/P1010035_1.jpg)

But for overall fun I recommend a polaris sit down model. some days it's fun to cruise and not get immersed in cold water. A dry suit will extend your season by many months.

Joe_Black
07/19/2006, 10:51 AM
LOL! All bow down! :p

Tried the uprights for a while then took a friends hopped-up 600 Kaw out for a spin. Dumped it at 60MPH+ and got bruised up pretty good through a wetsuit. No more uprights for me! ;)

thedutchguy
07/21/2006, 10:39 PM
Well I bought one this week.
Its a 2006 seadoo RXP.
Why I bought this one?............
The dealer's nearby,
Its super fast, because it has 215 HP comming from a supercharged engine!
Which means My VX and ski have the same output.
http://www.jetski.com/images/jetriders/articles/616/RXP%20GOLD%20(COWL)%203-4%2006.JPG

Joe_Black
07/22/2006, 06:14 AM
Sweet! Very sharp.

Now, make sure your dealer is stocking parts for your new water rocket.

:p

Modtodd82
07/23/2006, 05:30 PM
First I just want to say that the brand isnt really that important, they all have their good points and they all have their bad points. I'm the service manager/tech at a SeaDoo - SkiDoo - CanAm dealership. and while i am a little biased. i also am realistic. just find something that is in your price range, of the type that will accomadate the type of riding you want to do. I personally prefer the TWO STROKES -- the only four-stroke I'll ever have for off-road use says John Deere on it......but thats my preference - you cant do the type of riding that i like on a four-stroke, I'm upside down more than ENRON. and four-strokes just cant live under those conditions. but if you want someting fast....the new big 4-strokes are definately that...and thy are usually pretty stable and good cruisers. When im on the water i like to get wet and have some fun, but you find something that appeals to you, and your type of riding, if i can help you with any questions, feel free to ask or contact me. :cool:

thedutchguy
07/25/2006, 02:57 PM
if i can help you with any questions, feel free to ask or contact me. :cool:

I will, thank you very much!

Spike
07/26/2006, 12:32 PM
Well I bought one this week.
Its a 2006 seadoo RXP.
Why I bought this one?............
The dealer's nearby,
Its super fast, because it has 215 HP comming from a supercharged engine!
Which means My VX and ski have the same output.
http://www.jetski.com/images/jetriders/articles/616/RXP%20GOLD%20(COWL)%203-4%2006.JPG

Plus both are yellow on top and black on the bottom???

Modtodd82
07/26/2006, 01:18 PM
Rxp's are an awsome machine, i have many hours on them. MAD acceleration, great handling - hooked really well to the water. and you can hear a little of the supercharger whine. Awsome unit!!

thedutchguy
07/27/2006, 08:10 AM
Plus both are yellow on top and black on the bottom???
Actually it's gold and black, but who cares?
Damn it is sooooooooooooooooooooooo fast, it's almost scary :yesy: :yesy: :yesy: