PDA

View Full Version : Road Hugger XRT?

VXD959
07/17/2006, 07:53 AM
I'm planning to get new shoes for my VX. I called Discount Tire to see if they have Falkens and/or Hankooks 285/60/18 (I don't do serious off-road activities - looking for a quieter tire). They suggested to get the new Road Hugger XRT and classified them as a better quality tire.

Has anyone put these tires in a VX? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,

tomdietrying
07/17/2006, 08:12 AM
This is my opinion. I put some Yokohamas 285/60/18 on my VX. They are great road tires (very quiet) and they performed fantastic on the Moab slickrock this past ZUZU.

I checked into both of those tires before deciding on the Yokos. Those are two very good tires and you will not be disappointed with either of them. All three have similiar tread design, but in my opinion the Yokos looked (as my wife said) a little beefer. I had to agree.

Peace.
Tom

VXD959
07/17/2006, 08:26 AM
Tom,

I assume you have the Yokohama Geolandar HT-S, right?

Thanks for your feedback!

tomdietrying
07/17/2006, 09:31 AM
No, mine are the Yokohamas AVS-ST.

MIDN USNA
07/18/2006, 07:03 AM
I work at a DTC and see a lot of tires roll through on a daily basis. While i would recommend most of the roadhugger brand which is almost exclusively made for us, the XRT is a very very stiff tire and many have brought them back due to poor road comfort. This is a good tire for the money but youd be better off looking at yokohamas or kumhos.

VXD959
07/18/2006, 07:24 AM
MIDN,

Thank you for your insight. I went yesterday to DTC and was not impressed with the XRT's. So I'm down to:

- Yokohama HT-S
- Hankook Ventus

I was impressed by this review on the Hankooks:

"I have owned nitto tires, toyo tires and now the hankooks. The ventus has equal dry handling with the others but far superior handling in the rain. They run incredibly smooth and quiet. They seem to have much better life than the toyos, about on par with the nitto 404's. The cornering ability is the same as the toyos or nittos, about what you would expect for a performance truck tire. I would definitely recommend these tires."

Ldub
07/18/2006, 09:57 AM
I ran the Hankook Ventus (265-50 x 20) all last summer & they're a great tire.
Outstanding wet & dry traction...probably not so good in the snow, but that's just a guess, because I never tried them in the white stuff.

VXD959
07/18/2006, 10:43 AM
Ldub,

Thanks! I don't think will have a major snow problem here in Houston...
How you like the feel and look of the tires? Are they quiet?

Thansks,

Ldub
07/18/2006, 05:09 PM
I didn't really notice any road noise...but that's probably because I had just switched from my winter tires.
By comparison, I'm sure the Hankooks seemed quieter.
They handled very well & stuck like glue, but any tire with a lower profile (went from 265/70 x 16" to 265/50 x 20") should feel like it's on rails when compared to something with a taller sidewall.
And yes, I really like the look/tread pattern of this tire.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/1063tire_hankook_152_whlsl_tire.gif

AndyC
07/19/2006, 04:37 AM
I'm running the Kumho's - actually just recently instlled on the 8th :) I'm real happy with them - a bit higher and alot wider.(285/60VR-18 Kumho ECSTA STX)

Andy

Spike
07/20/2006, 12:04 AM
I'm running the Kumho's - actually just recently instlled on the 8th :) I'm real happy with them - a bit higher and alot wider.(285/60VR-18 Kumho ECSTA STX)

Andy

I thought this for a while, but they REALLY need to change their name ...

AndyC
07/20/2006, 04:14 AM
Dude I never thought of that till this message ;eekr; Well at least they use good rubber :p